Tony Bennett to Honor Amy Winehouse at MTV Video Music Awards.

Tony Bennett will return to the MTV Video Music Awards stage this Sunday night in Los Angeles for the first time since 1993 to pay tribute to the late Amy Winehouse, an MTV spokesperson tells Rolling Stone.

The two teamed up to record “Body and Soul” for his Duets II album, out September 20th. Bennett will introduce video footage from the pair’s recording session this past March in London, as well as additional musical performances to be announced – which means it’s possible that Adele and Gaga, who both paid respects to Winehouse following her passing and are scheduled to perform at the VMAs, will be involved.

Bennett says the song is a fitting homage to her musical gifts. "It was a thrill to record with Amy Winehouse and when you listen to the recording of ‘Body and Soul,’ it is a testament to her artistic genius and her brilliance as one of the most honest musicians I have ever known,” Bennett said in a statement.

Proceeds from the track – which will be released as both a single and video September 14th, Winehouse’s birthday – will go to the Amy Winehouse Foundation. And while Winehouse’s father, Mitch, has made headlines recently by turning down charity donations, he is welcoming the support from MTV.

“Our family is honored that the VMA’s are giving Amy this wonderful tribute,” Mitch Winehouse said. "We know that Amy’s performance of ‘Rehab’ at the MTV Movie Awards played an important part in Amy’s worldwide success.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...wards-20110823

I hope Gaga and Adele have nothing to do with it.

Oh, Tony Bennett would be just perfect!!! :smiley: I’m so glad that they made a wise decision. I didn’t expect MTV treating her so well to be honest.

If Amy could see this she’ll be saying OMG OMG OMG OMGGG I don’t believe!!!
He’s perfect for the tribute :smiley:

YES Tony Bennett would be just perfect!!! !!!
im happy about it!

GREAT. This sounds a million times better. I’ve heard something about Cee Lo Green too whom I kinda like but still makes me doubtful about how good this is going to be.

Amy had a very low bullshit tolerance when it came to music so I just hope they respect that. Tony Bennett sounds perfect tho.

Great, great news.

Talking about tributes…

George Michael praising Amy and singing Love Is A Losing Game on his new tour. You guys don’t know how much this means to me. I hope he does this here in Madrid on the 26th of September. I’d die a happy man.

(The Amy references start at 0:52)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItuwqEhOiA

^^magnificent. thank you, Pablo

see, these are the things that bring the tears

me too Phil…me too

That was heartbreaking.. thank you.

^ That’s a very touching and classy tribute.

I’ll be glued sunday night to watch the awards show; so glad Tony is going to be there for the tribute.

thanks for posting the George Michael video. that was so touching and so nicely done. loved the picture montage and the photo on the left @3:52.

That George Michael tribute had wonderful pics of Amy. Exactly how I would want, and she deserves, to be seen.

I like Adele and I have a feeling that she’s very sincere when she talks about Amy. But I fully agree with you when it comes to Lady Gaga.

Also Columbia Records will releasse a video clip on September 14th (Amy’s B-day) with her recording with Tony Bennett. I think it’s like Michael Jackson’s ‘‘All In Your Name’’ with Barry Gibb… I believe Tony Bennett is the best who can pay tribute to Amy @ VMA’s show…