Manic-depressive disorder ??

depressive manic

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

:lol: that's cuz we are all nuts!... at least some point...just functioning nutters.

#17 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

"Amy's a nutcase but she's a good person." -- Juliette Ashby

One of my favorite quotes.

#18 Dani624

Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

:lol: me to, my teacher will list symptoms and im like"got that one, and that one, and that one":lol:

Ha I did the same thing in class. I swore I had Borderline Personality disorder. But it was just anger management issues and a tendancy to get depressed. I'm a what they call a "Rager".

#19 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

Haha one of my teachers told me that a few years ago he named the criteria you have to meet to be diagnosed with a certain disorder, and when he had named them all he jokingly said "if you have all that, come see me after class"...Some bloke showed up and was later officially diagnosed with the disorder. OMG!!! Can't believe he just sat there until the teacher stopped talking. I would've walked out and be like "nope, didn't hear none of that" :lol:

#20 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

Borderliners are the most difficult to treat. I'm happy you don't have it.
I have a good friend that married someone with borderline personality disorder and he had to divorce her. It was unbelievable what he went through.
Us bipolars can be a real hoot too. I'm stable on my meds but I sure miss manic episodes. You feel like you can do anything and have so much energy.
Your thoughts race a 1000 mph. Unfortunately, I spent myself into bankruptcy in 30 days. That's why you get treatment. It's fun but dangerous.

#21 ILLEGALL

ILLEGALL

ergo sum of illuminati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

another thing that makes it hard to diagnose is the fact that its mainly subjective to the patient, what is normal to one person or culture may be seen as abnormal to another person or different cultures
symptoms can include distress and interference with personal progress, but if the patient isnt showing signs of distress
and are still able to function, and things dont seem to bother their day to day life they cant be diagnosed because of the extent to which the certain symptom is subjectively applicable
usually applicable in the areas of abnormal and atypical psychological disorders such as schizophrenia and mood disorders, including bipolar in america i think you use dsm 4 to diagnose? and here we use icd 10
but a certain number of boxes need to be ticked and to a certain level for complete diagnosis, you can have 4 of 5 for example and not be diagnosed, or 5 but not as serious and be diagnosed, its all subjective to the person

for those in the know when it come to psychology or language, i may have got subjective and objective mixed up, i always seem to, but i tihnk its right lol

#22 Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

Haha one of my teachers told me that a few years ago he named the criteria you have to meet to be diagnosed with a certain disorder, and when he had named them all he jokingly said "if you have all that, come see me after class"...Some bloke showed up and was later officially diagnosed with the disorder. OMG!!! Can't believe he just sat there until the teacher stopped talking. I would've walked out and be like "nope, didn't hear none of that" :lol:

Marisa, you really crack me up. Lmfao.

I've never taken a class in psych, but I've read so many books on it....Lee,I reckon we use DSM4. I'm not too sure of this, but it sounds right.

#23 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

DSM4 here too. It's strange though, that different criteria are being used in different countries. For example, I've been told that in the UK a distinction is made between minor and major depressions. Here you are either diagnosed with depression (= major depression) or not. There's no such thing as a minor depression. I'm sure they'll still help you if you don't meet all the criteria for a major depression though..

#24 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Psychiarist's do differentiate between mild, moderate, and severe depression.
Here are the codes--it's actually broken down further than mild, moderate, and severe. http://www.state.il....desJuly2004.pdf

There are also sub-types of depression called anhedonia or dysthymia. They are like depression but milder and longer lasting. Due to the fact that they go on for years they can have a very negative prognosis, i.e. suicide.

My dx code is 296.56. Bipolar I, depressed, in full remission. Knock on wood.

I feel like I'm back at my mental health forum. Been there 9 years. Still crazy!

Phil

#25 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

Oh yeah, of course they do, it would be stupid if they didn't. If their thinking was dichotomous (depressed/not depressed) millions of people wouldn't get the help they needed. Just saying how it's strange that different terms and/or criteria are used in different countries even though there aren't any huge/mentionable cultural differences between the countries and such..

A lot of psychology students on here btw! Weird.

#26 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:09 PM

You got that right. I'm amazed at the knowledge in general here. Smart people everywhere. I think I need to go back to school.

Geezer University.

#27 Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

^ Haha. I start college this fall.Practice being a internal medicine psychiatrist.

It is weird how the countries have different systems of diagnosing patients...I have RBD, though I've never seen a psych, but its obvious. There are days when I feel really low and it lasts for quite awhile....since I've been about 13. But now its gotten better. Before it was more severe.

#28 Little Legs

Little Legs

Kleine Beentjes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

there are loads of us here who study psychology arent there . . . . although my psychology aint to as high level as most of you lot!!!:lol:

#29 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

What's RBD? lol

I think the DSM IV is written more for insurance companies than anything. If doc's just put down he's mentally ill, then that would cover half of America and all of Los Angeles.:ecstatic:

#30 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Recurrent Brief Depression.

Hahaha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users