44 replies to this topic

#1 malaroda

malaroda

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

This month, The Nation added to what is fast becoming its own distinct subgenre within cultural criticism—the Amy Winehouse Appraisal. (See also Salon and The New Yorker’s Sasha Frere-Jones for recent additions.) Because she is a) a woman, B) a white Jewish woman from London, c) working within the black musical tradition, and d) a very public drug addict, Winehouse touches on a whole host of sensitive issues that can turn appreciating her music into a cozy stroll through a cultural minefield. Winehouse and her music is suffused with the anxiety of influence (of the narcotic variety in Winehouse’s case), and journalists can’t stay way.
Predictably, The Nation’s Daphne Brooks has beef with all the queasy racial politics and cultural “borrowing” at the core of Winehouse’s shtick—an argument that’s certainly been made before, and can be made about other white British musicians from Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page to Mike Skinner and DJ Mark Ronson (the producer behind Winehouse’s Back to Black). Though here, Brooks has a little more fun with it. Not only does Winehouse yearn for black men—both romantically and artistically—she literally wants to be one. “Well beyond merely singing, as a white woman, about her desire for black men, Winehouse, in what is perhaps her real innovation, has created a record about a white woman wanting to be a black man--and an imaginary one at that, stitched together from hip-hop and bebop and juke-joint mythologies.” Winehouse is our first “hip-hop drag king”—a fact about which Brooks feels a mix of respect and derision.
Her derision, it seems, stems mainly from the short-shrift Winehouse's musical gumbo pays to black singers like Lauryn Hill, Etta James, and the little-known blues singer Mamie Smith. “The real travesty of Winehouse's work is the way that her retro-soul draws from and yet effaces those black women… whose experiences helped to ignite the rock and soul revolution of our contemporary era,” she writes. “Black women are everywhere and nowhere in Winehouse’s work.” On top of this, Winehouse has the gall to reject the “mannered, elegant look” of Motown’s female stars in favor of her infamous brain-damaged slouch. In other words, Winehouse isn’t black enough. Instead, Brooks writes, Winehouse’s image is “more about a march toward Sid Vicious-style self-immolation—a No Future punk-degeneration dreamgirl chic…” If Winehouse just cleaned up she might be worthy of her mighty influences.
Brooks is right to unpack Winehouse’s motly persona and right to worry over how liberally it borrows from the otherness it glorifies. But we think it’s time to quit all this hand-wringing over her bad behavior. Winehouse has had to deal with a media barrage over her narcotics abuses that female stars in the past with equally dubious chemical dependencies never did. If Janis Joplin—the most well-known white female blues singer of her day—had to face the maelstrom of tabloids that Winehouse stares down (and admittedly courts) every week, we wonder if Pearl would have landed so comfortably in the rock ’n’ roll canon after her overdose in 1970. We are simply much more willing acknowledge that the well-publicized drug habits of male rock stars black and white—from Ray Charles and Keith Richards to Pete Doherty and Lil' Wayne—are part and parcel of their musical persona, that they needn’t be dropped to save their users’ careers. It is, in fact, precisely because Winehouse is one of such a paltry number of female musicians receiving the serious attention they deserve that we hold her to a higher standard.
Let us be clear: Amy Winehouse should go to rehab. But she owes that only to herself, not to any pre-conceived notion of what a successful female soul-singer should be.

http://www.newyorkob...e/amy-winehouse

I don't think she effaces black women - I think of her album more as a tribute to all of her influences, but then, I'm white, so I'm probably not qualified to judge this...
Posted Image
Even when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest with an S on my chest, oh yes, I'm a Superwoman!

#2 DontClipMyWings

DontClipMyWings

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:21 PM

I dont know why everything has to turn into a race issue. Amy is Amy!
"Your wondering now, what to do, now you know this is the end. Your wondering how, you will pay, for the way you misbehaved."

#3 Dani624

Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

http://www.newyorkob...e/amy-winehouse

I don't think she effaces black women - I think of her album more as a tribute to all of her influences, but then, I'm white, so I'm probably not qualified to judge this...

you are right that is completely absurd..she cannot help who she is influenced by. And for real fans it encourages them to go back and listen to those singers that influenced her. Who gives a damn what color her skin is? You cannot wipe away the memory of those soul singers with one white girl with a unique soulful voice.How is she singing of a desire for black men..where the hell does this person get that from. She writes from real life experiences.What the fuck? I would love to have a conversation with this person. These ideologies have me flabbergasted.Amy ain't doin nothing but being Amy.
Posted Image

Check me out :)
http://www.youtube.com/Dani6248

"I need you like a bird needs wings,because without them they're just walking through the madness of things"

#4 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

IMO, Amy is not trying to 'be' black - whatever that means - she's just a modern girl from a racially diverse city and her music reflects her various influences and experiences in a very individual way. It seems to me that the writer is far more guilty of ignorance and cultural bias than Amy will ever be. The whole argument seems out of touch. How can we ever progress as a society if people insist on making these divisive judgments on others?
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#5 Dani624

Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

^^Exactly
Posted Image

Check me out :)
http://www.youtube.com/Dani6248

"I need you like a bird needs wings,because without them they're just walking through the madness of things"

#6 tikipeacock

tikipeacock

My destructive side has grown a mile wide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

What? "Hip hop drag king"? " a white woman wanting to be a black man"??? These music critics need to get a life. Amy is just making the music that came most naturally to her. She is not trying to push some racial/cultural agenda.

Saying that Amy is trying to be black because she makes soul-style music is like saying Jimi Hendrix was trying to be white for playing electric rock guitar.
Posted Image

"...All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room."

#7 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

i'm so bored with these people and their extremist pov. they don't even push my buttons anymore. ho hum

#8 gretski101

gretski101

:)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:51 PM

this is fucking stupid, amy is what she is,
she likes soul and hip hop so she should be able to do whatever she wants with it,
who gives a fuck what race she is?
i dont think it should have anything to do with race.
Loved Amy since July 2007.

#9 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:01 AM

I think all of you are taking this just a tad, too personally. Some of the points, I agree with, others I don't. She is influenced by a mixture of hip-hop, Afro-American culture, of many points she does not understand. What the British called 'chav', is a way of life for Blacks, like myself. THAT I found offensive. For instance, when Blake was in jail, Winehouse drew a tear on her left cheek, as a sign of mourning; the tear is actually a prisoner's badge to show that he/she murdered people. The author took offense, she probably isn't a fan of Winehouse nor her music. Ya'll should have seen me seethe, fume and rage at some of the remarks about my 'dog', Kanye West. Just saying.

Bottom, no matter who she 'imitates' or 'whomever she pays tribute', Winehouse is getting paid, period.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#10 gretski101

gretski101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:07 AM

yeah drawing that tear under eye was silly,
but i guess it was just to show she was sad.... i dono, i think she doesn't really care if she politcaly(?) incorrect... to a certain degree

#11 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:11 AM

ITA w/you, Gret. She really didn't understand, just that she was sad about Blake. Maybe in the future, she needs to try to be just a tad PC. Winehouse DID have problems, maybe a monthly visit with her publicity witches and warlocks.

Is anyone a member of Wicca? My bad.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#12 gretski101

gretski101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:19 AM

mmm...
i really can't wait to see what amy is like when she is clean and healthy..... if it ever happens,
she could be a completely different person!!!
she could be really kind and non offensive,
hhaha but i doubt it

#13 tikipeacock

tikipeacock

My destructive side has grown a mile wide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

I thought the tear-drop thing had to do with the movie "Crybaby" with Johnny Depp. In the movie Johnny Depp's character has that tattoo under his eye. Amy had said she loved that film.
Posted Image

"...All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room."

#14 erickonasis

erickonasis

Back 2 Black >

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:54 AM

Worst Article Ever ....and thats not to discredit the thread starter
Posted Image

#15 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:50 AM

This is just TOO much!!! When she doesn't feed the media frenzy, they just go out and create it on their own.. Too bad the teardrop was already "taken" as a statement as a gang affiliation.. she has a right to express herself...since she is not a known murderer, it obviously stood as a testament to her broken heart.
He's the big affair I cannot forget..only man I think of with regret...Someone To Watch Over Me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users