- - - - -

Record Label Rejects Amy's New Songs... NOOOOO

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:52 AM

It is indeed crucial that Amy’s return is handled properly... so far so good... but by her... BOSSES??? She should boss them, as it's her talent making them the money! Telling things she doesn't want to hear... that her new songs are too harrowing?! For whom? For Amy, who's written them! I can't stand the infamous artistic slavery clause - minimal production obligation, etc. - these artists are all forced to agree to if they want their careers to go anywhere. Amy, don't go along with being told what to do or not to do on your next record! The business people and the success of their careers depend on you!
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#17 brando

brando

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:58 AM

It is indeed crucial that Amy’s return is handled properly... so far so good... but by her... BOSSES??? She should boss them, as it's her talent making them the money! Telling things she doesn't want to hear... that her new songs are too harrowing?! For whom? For Amy, who's written them! I can't stand the infamous artistic slavery clause - minimal production obligation, etc. - these artists are all forced to agree to if they want their careers to go anywhere. Amy, don't go along with being told what to do or not to do on your next record! The business people and the success of their careers depend on you!

FUCK YEAH!
dont worry.. she won't.
The Lioness has rejoined her cub, and all is right in the jungle.

#18 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

The idea of a completely new style makes me a little nervous because I love what she's done up to now, but I'm willing to follow Amy in a new direction, I just want it to be great music. If the new stuff she's written isn't up to her usual standards, I wouldn't want her to put it out.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#19 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:05 AM

the thing is shes recorded so much in the last 18 months and none of its been put out. she had a freaken studio in the camden flat! and i remember mitch saying ages ago that she had 6 or 7 songs ready, then pete saying hed recorded 'tons' of demos with her, then the bond theme, then the time in henley with ronson, then lucian granges statement...

amy has a very strict quality control. if her label tell her to keep working on the songs, she will want to get them right.

#20 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

apparently 'a spokesman for the star has played down the claims'

http://www.metro.co....44&in_page_id=7

#21 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Unfortunately, the artist, however independednt and outspoken, usually has the short end of the stick in terms of management. If an artist tries to undermine and disengage from their bosses' ideas, it usually does not go over very well.

Like Ronnie Spector, who after leaving her husband / producer, had nearly all her music blockaded from commercial release or success.

Another example: back in the 60s and 70s, when Motown was raging popular, many of Berry Gordy's artists sought creative control. Martha Reeves, being strong minded and independent, after trying to undermine Gordy, never saw a number 1 hit after 1967. Also, Florence Ballard of the Supremes was fired and had her royalties squared away after doing things her way.

I would like to see Amy take more control, but I don't want her to murder her career, also.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#22 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

If an artist tries to undermine and disengage from their bosses' ideas, it usually does not go over very well.

I would like to see Amy take more control, but I don't want her to murder her career, also.

Reality money over talent may be, is, nonetheless, the label's business people shouldn't consider themselves "bosses" over Amy, as that would be a misconception of the true order of importance, but I agree that she should go on with what's possible now, putting her all and everything into it, which includes regaining the artistic freedom that the label might want to model after the misconception of image over content.

Amy will not have to let that happen, so part of creating her Third is already that artistic freedom struggle, which is an intergrity struggle and a struggle to come back in the world of music that she's so epically conquered before. Amy's got many struggles going on all at once. Strength to her to be where she needs to be. And power to her as well.

Edit: If there are any of the label's people listening in on the forum, and they must be sometimes, then please take no offence, as of course there are people there too who want to work with Amy, for Amy, to get the best possible results recorded, which is what everybody wants.

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 23 March 2009 - 01:16 PM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#23 Sweetsklet

Sweetsklet

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

Overall we should be happy that there ARE existing songs and that Amy actually is recording and is interested in her music/career again! Doesn't sound like a writers block to me when she already sent songs to her label. I'm really happy to finally read news about her music again! Gives me hope for the future ....
"FREEDOM IS JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE"
Janis Joplin

Posted Image

#24 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

See, this just proves that Amy is brilliant. Name one other artist that has managed to write reggae songs that are too dark. Reggae... Too dark! WOW!

...Is that fish I smell?
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#25 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

...Is that fish I smell?

Like Moe on The Simpsons said: "If a hobo and a dead fish had a baby, and the baby puked, and a dog ate the puke, it smells like that dog's butt."

#26 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

I hope Mark but I'd love for her to work with Rick Rubin too.

apparently Ronson is working with Duran Duran at the moment. Rubin would be dynamite!!
That this information is out in the media is totally wrong, if there's any truth to it at all. They have been patient and good to her, and there is money to be made...but to leak to the press that her creative process is not "commercial" and they are rejecting it shows a lack of support and a willingness to humiliate her until they get a product that is going to contribute to their bottom line. What's next..."New material from Winehouse makes the grade" , "Album gets go ahead by Island bosses"...

I don't know about this story...

#27 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

^ You'd think they would have learned something from how badly they bastardized the US version of B2B!

#28 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

you got that right!! US fans were ripped off of one of B2B's great tunes, Addicted. what do these suits know anyways

#29 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

damn this sucks.. I wonder how long it will take for her to write a new set of songs if this is true..
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#30 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

apparently 'a spokesman for the star has played down the claims'

http://www.metro.co....44&in_page_id=7

Some posts from this article:

I WANNA HEAR THESE SONGS -
thats who she is , amys real and we love her for her real music
i know id be the first to buy them

- Rehaana, london
another example of these faceless corp types messing with someones art!! theey want all music to sound the same so they can make that moola, as they think people are brainless and just buy what marketed well and has a sound that wont mess with peoples status quo....hmm maybe they're right...

- Acm, shef
Wait, stop.
What does anyone EXPECT her to write & sing about? Being a a barbie doll in a barbie world?
Let's hear these songs. Frankly it would be almost impossible for them to be 'too dark'. They might be crap, but that's a different matter.

- Norquill Bletzergibby, London
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users