73 replies to this topic

#46 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

I've edited my links, hopefully they will work. Good luck with the studying Sarah.
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#47 Mono

Mono

down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

the second one works when you go to the profile first and then select the second part.
and thank you jayne once again!:)

#48 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

thanks so much Jayne. Part 2 is easily accessible in a small box to the right on Part 1.

I have to say the most moving part for me was Mitch's visit to the cementery. If not for him, Amy could have very well been another Winehouse to die young.
I have no problem with people's perception that this is a piece about Mitch because in part, it is. PBS did a documentary about a couple dealing with their daughters descent into heroin addiction and their crushing and agonizing process of letting go. I felt this was an honest portrayal of a father's struggle to deal with his child's disease of addiction and the work that lies ahead for himself.

#49 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

A review from The Independent

God knows what Nurse Jackie would make of My Daughter Amy, the first of a number of First Cut documentaries by tyro film-makers. Jazz Thwaite had the bright idea of turning a camera on Mitchell Winehouse, London cab driver and father of Amy, multi-award-winning singer and national car crash. Mitch seized the chance of a relationship with the camera to set the record straight ("Everyone thinks they know our story") and display the Amy he knew. Cue snaps from the family album, and cine footage of Amy aged six or seven, yelling at the lens.

It was then fascinating to watch as Mitch blithely switched the focus of interest from Amy's problems to his own. We saw him visit a Harley Street shrink who advised, "You can't keep carrying her [i.e. Amy's] burden because you could be the one who drops down dead." We sat with him at a group therapy session, listened to his anxiety attacks ("I've got a lot of unresolved anger in me over Blake and Amy") and watched as he discussed his guilt feelings with Amy's mum. Soon, the Amy Winehouse Problem had become the Mitch Winehouse Show. At one point he even said, "Without the help of my family, I think I would have gone under."

A trip to St Lucia found a hostile and unco-operative Amy refusing to be charming to tourists or her father, who began to struggle with the suspicion that he was intruding on her privacy just like any paparazzo. You tried to sympathise with him but it was hard to get past his bone-headed solipsism. Told by the shrink that his daughter might fall back into drug addiction, he replied, "I don't think I would survive that." You longed for Nurse Jackie to show up and ask: Jeez, Mitchell, whose survival is more problematic right now?

http://www.independe...bbc1-1862934.ht

Edited by Lainey, 10 January 2010 - 01:17 AM.

"I've got hair like them"

#50 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:37 AM

while i understand there is alot of negativity and judgement around this docu and Mitch in general, i think he's a terrific guy who is doing the best he can. i wish him the best.

Edited by kevd7, 10 January 2010 - 01:42 AM.

#51 catouplik

catouplik

Help yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:17 AM

[quote name='brando']thanks jayne!
. the only thing it did was confirming that this guy loves the attention and the cameras a little bit too much and has become completely addicted to it.

Agree completly with you. Although I also beleive, like you , he wants to help his daughter...I have mixed emotions about Mitch...

Anyways...what I really liked about this doc., is the party where Amy sings. It helped me to remember why I come to this forum, why I care about Amy. I'm in love with her singing. I miss hearing her singing live. I'm so fed up with all of this...Can't wait to talk about new songs, new album...My god, felt good to hear her sing :)

Edited by catouplik, 10 January 2010 - 02:20 AM.

#52 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:22 AM

Just finished Part Two. I'm just shaking my head here. 'The cameras make her uncomfortable'. Then just stop. Stop the whole project. Don't make the film.

That 'therapist' was a fucking joke.

I have an idea, make the video about drug addiction, interview the parents of addicts. Mitch is addicted to the spotlight. IMHO, I think Amy is tired of the spotlight and her fame. At the end of the day, Mitch is a good man and is dealing with his daughter's issues as best he can. When Mitch had his 'epiphany' at Lucia about Amy being in the spotlight and the camera remark, he should have taken the aforementioned direction. Instead of making it about him, he should have focused on families dealing with addiction. I learned nothing new, but my respect for Mitch has decreased. Sorry. :'-(
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#53 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

[quote name='catouplik'][quote name='brando'] I'm in love with her singing. I miss hearing her singing live. I'm so fed up with all of this...Can't wait to talk about new songs, new album...My god, felt good to hear her sing :)[/quote]Yes! And thank God for that Specials performance! Without that, I'd still be worrying if she can still perform at 100% greatness.
Posted Image

#54 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:29 AM

I have no problem with people's perception that this is a piece about Mitch because in part, it is. PBS did a documentary about a couple dealing with their daughters descent into heroin addiction and their crushing and agonizing process of letting go. I felt this was an honest portrayal of a father's struggle to deal with his child's disease of addiction and the work that lies ahead for himself.

Agree, Kev.

And, thanks so much Jayne.

I'm glad it wasn't really about Amy, directly. It never was meant to be.

I also know that the title of a program, book, article etc. are not usually in the hands of the subject, author, or writer...it's usually in the hands of the promo people...

So, while the title may be misleading, the write up about the program was not.

Mitch Winehouse talks openly about the consequences of Amy Winehouse's superstardom, and the issues faced by an ordinary family in extraordinary circumstances, dealing with tabloid scrutiny and addiction.

As Amy's dad, he's been an important force in her life and career and, he now hopes, in her rehabilitation.

But the situation consumes him and the family every minute of the day.

As Amy gets further down the road of recovery, director Jazz Thwaite asks what now for Mitch?

In the end, it wasn't as invasive to Amy as I thought it might be, so I'm glad for that...and Mitch naively thought this would help some people...I'm not sure it was gripping enough to do that, (thank goodness) lol... it was more of another use of the Amy name to create employment...

...and it was another bit of pleasure for us Amy fans to see Amy with family.
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#55 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

I'm glad it wasn't really about Amy, directly. It never was meant to be.

...and Mitch naively thought this would help some people...I'm not sure it was gripping enough to do that, (thank goodness)

...and it was another bit of pleasure for us Amy fans to see Amy with family.

I was in tears throughout most of it, as I recalled my daughter's descent into addiction. Mitch echoed, almost verbatim, everything my ex and I said throughout our ordeal. The toll it took on our family was HELL!!!

Our every waking moment was consumed with our daughter's problem. My marriage broke up over it, my husband couldn't take it anymore. Our younger daughter even starting cutting herself in a bid for the attention her sister was getting. Her scars are a daily reminder of those dark years.

If not for my wonderful therapist, a strong, supportive, Italian family, beta blockers and anti-depressants, I don't think I could have survived it. The anxiety attacks Mitch spoke of was omnipresent.

Six years later, and through the Winehouse family story, are my daughters & I finally able to talk it all through & put our ordeal into into perspective.

My ex and I have forged an amicable relationship, much like Mitch & Janis' as well.

Amy is the only one who can pull herself out of it, as my daughter did, on her own timetable.

I never gave up on my daughter, in fact, loved her more fiercely, even as she exasperated me. She thanks me now for never giving up on her.

The one thing that impressed me the most when I first started reading up on Amy, was that she "comes from family." My family always used that phrase when judging the character of a person.

#56 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

I have an idea, make the video about drug addiction, interview the parents of addicts. Mitch is addicted to the spotlight. IMHO, I think Amy is tired of the spotlight and her fame. At the end of the day, Mitch is a good man and is dealing with his daughter's issues as best he can. When Mitch had his 'epiphany' at Lucia about Amy being in the spotlight and the camera remark, he should have taken the aforementioned direction. Instead of making it about him, he should have focused on families dealing with addiction. I learned nothing new, but my respect for Mitch has decreased. Sorry. :'-(

Exactly my thoughts.

Ms Lynda, I'm so sorry to hear what your family has been through! I like to see the good part, though, there are some pretty bad scars, metaphorically speaking, but at least you won the war.

#57 Sweetsklet

Sweetsklet

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

Part 1 is here:

http://www.dailymoti...r-amy-pt1_music

Part 2 is not ready yet but will be here:

http://www.dailymoti...r-amy-pt2_music

^ Thanks sooo much Jayne! :heart:

Both links work for me ... I didn't have time to watch it yet because I kinda had a busy week studying for a presentation I have to give but I'll watch it tomorrow!
"FREEDOM IS JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE"
Janis Joplin

Posted Image

#58 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot Jayne for uploading this. Loved reading everyones opinions on it and I quite agree with everybody. I still have mixed feelings for Mitch. I like how this portrays him (even the exhibitionist esence of this docu, which is rather human). I felt unconfortable seing Amy feeling unconfortable in front of the camera but truly enjoyed seing her childhood videos and specially the bit at the end where she made Fly me too the moon a new song to my ears. I miss jazzy Amy so so so much!

I just don't know what to think about this all anymore. It's lasting way too long for me to still be interested in this subject, and maybe as a bit of a shield I've tried hard not to mind all crap unless I see it with my own eyes. I'm a fan afterall and Winehouse fans create this maybe absurd connection to her persona trough her music that makes it impossible to completelly dissasociate both things. So I can't help but caring (too much).

The docu is pointless and in my opinion a bit dirty but I'm certain Mitch meant well when he agreed to do this, even if one of the reasons was his own exposure. I admire Janis more and more everytime.

Cynthia was incredibly beautiful and glam.

Mono, congrats on the avatar and sig. I like them even more knowing that they're yours.
Posted Image

#59 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Loved reading everyones opinions on it and I quite agree with everybody.

That'll not include me, I’m afraid, as I seem to have quite a different opinion about it than "everybody" else, which isn't actually the case, as some concur, in fact, be it in part, or approaching it from a different angle. But some definitely go overboard with their criticism of Mitch and his documentary, while the depth of his love for Amy, and consequently, his dire struggle with her self-damaging, addictive and other self-destructive behaviour cannot be doubted, which is why it strikes me as unreasonable and unfair to question his intentions, motives, judgement and efforts to the extent that it is sometimes done.

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 10 January 2010 - 04:54 PM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#60 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

It would be interesting to see if those who criticise Mitch are actual parents themselves? You have every right to criticise Mitch and of course you are entitled to your own views. but I do think your views change once you become a parent. I think there is one thing we can all agree with is at the end of the day Mitch loves Amy and Amy loves her dad.
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users