Photo
- - - - -

What do you think about posthumous releases?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

I want it. If its just demos, I'd buy it if they were good. My only thing is they make it clear that its an unfinished album. I'm completely against music being finished without the artist.

I think the line between unfinished material with potential vs crappy throwaways needs to be established.

IMO, they should release the demos that were for the 3rd album and anything from before, at a later date. I don't want it milked for years and with a ton of trivial releases though.

Finally, I'd like a massive book with every song she wrote. I'm sure they took her notebooks and computer today so someone has it.

#2 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

I want it. If its just demos, I'd buy it if they were good. My only thing is they make it clear that its an unfinished album. I'm completely against music being finished without the artist.

This.

"i'm a musician, fuck the rest"

1983 - 2011

#3 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

I totally agree with you about releasing the demos for the 3rd album, seeing how she didn't record the "official" versions. And you're right, I don't want her miked for years either! Just release everything at one time and let her soul rest in peace.

I think it would be a great idea if her label or her parents would put a handwritten lyric book together for us fans. You know, like how they did with Kurt Cobain's "Journals" http://seattletimes..../2008298236.jpg

That would be amazingly cool if they did that and made it a combination of rare photos...

#4 AMYstery

AMYstery

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

I agree completely :)

her record company should protect and expand her legacy with great care. Not just release anything they have without consideration, in order to make a quick buck. If it is not finished they shouldn't package it as finished product or even worse try to mould it and god forbid autotune it ! I'd rather hear the raw demo's than some "cookie cutter-ed" songs that only have a watered down Amy-originality.

#5 LaPeep

LaPeep

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

I'm not sure that I would like to have this if the original artist was not ready to release
"I don't know her, I never met her, and when I saw that pic, I thought, 'That's me!' But then I found out, no, it's Amy........Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes

#6 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

None of the demos we've heard differed too much from the final songs. Any issues I have could easily be fixed during mixing.

The He Can Only Hold Her demo is perfect, Love Is A Losing Game is good enough, same with Wake Up Alone, etc etc. The only ones I don't like is Back to Black b/c of the phrasing and YKING kinda looses its groove.

#7 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

^ I know what you guys mean about not releasing anything that was not authorized by the artist. One the one hand, I am desperate to hear ANY unreleased material. On the other, if Amy wasn't happy with it, then don't release it. I don't think Amy would compromise her artistic integrity that way. I certainly don't want Universal to attempt any tacky greatest hits-type cash-in - she has 2 albums, for crying out loud. Almost every song is a greatest hit - ha!

If any decision should be made about releasing material, I feel it should be up to Mitch and Janis. But I don't think it would be their choice, would it? I dunno. I don't really know much about the business, but it seems that Universal would hold the upper hand. I suppose I trust them to do the right thing.

#8 Pepper

Pepper

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'm in two minds about this.
I'm not sure if anything should be released now that Amy is unable to confirm that she is happy that what is released is as she intended it to be.

Having said I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't really enjoy listening to her demo's and I just love the lyric and photobook idea.

Guess we'll just have to trust the judgement of her nearest and dearest and hope they are able to do what she would have wanted.

#9 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

Some things, she may have thought were crap and wouldn't want released. I understand that.
Other things, she just didn't get the time to release so I think thats fair game. Along with that, if she had the best thing ever, yet she hated it, I'd want it out. Not everyone is the best judge of their own work. I don't mean to undermine her but its true.

I think they'll work with her parents, but legally, most likely the label has the final say. Depends on her deal I guess. Mitch has said they were patient with her and card about her well being.

#10 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:59 PM

don't release it unless she said,'gettin' there innit?'

#11 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Some things, she may have thought were crap and wouldn't want released. I understand that.
Other things, she just didn't get the time to release so I think thats fair game. Along with that, if she had the best thing ever, yet she hated it, I'd want it out. Not everyone is the best judge of their own work. I don't mean to undermine her but its true.

I think they'll work with her parents, but legally, most likely the label has the final say. Depends on her deal I guess. Mitch has said they were patient with her and card about her well being.

She definitely was her own harshest critic.

#12 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

I agree that she was her own worse critic; she was perfection. I too agree that the demo for He can only hold her was great.

personally, I would love to hear what she had in store for her 3rd album....for the lyrics alone. she wrote from the heart. would be interesting to know what feelings she set to her music.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#13 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:56 AM

I'd like to see a double CD - one of just the bare demos, and one that incorporates as much of Amy's production intentions as possible.

#14 ashlee

ashlee

you're so thick and my patience's thin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

I have mixed feelings about this, as i feel a urge of selfishness of more of Amy's legacy, but on the other hand I feel that what we have already is legit as it was launched and authorized by her... so maybe it's enough (?) ::confused::
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
five story fire as you came

#15 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

I'm very prudish about this, I think that maybe 6 mos. to a year should pass. I think Microsoft got on some social network and start hawking Winehouse records. Don't get me wrong, I want to hear her new stuff, but out of respect I think the record company should wait.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users