Photo
- - - - -

What do you think about posthumous releases?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:48 AM

I'm very prudish about this, I think that maybe 6 mos. to a year should pass. I think Microsoft got on some social network and start hawking Winehouse records. Don't get me wrong, I want to hear her new stuff, but out of respect I think the record company should wait.

Exactly this. It would be awfully rude if they released her record, let's say next month. Give her family and her fans a good while, then put something RESPECTABLE together in her remembrance, not for the purpose of making a dollar.

#17 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:13 AM

I agree, next month would be bad. But I'd be cool with fall or winter, and it matches up with 5 years for Back to Black.

#18 Guest_LetThemEatCake_*

Guest_LetThemEatCake_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:00 AM

I love Amy and Back to Black and Frank have been the soundtracks to my life ever since I discovered them back in 2007, however I don't want anything posthumous to be released, none.

There is no point.

#19 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

in answer to the question, I am not for anything that comes out posthumously without some prior consent from the artist. But as we all know, the record biz doesn't work that way. I say expect anything and everything that's left, can be found, and more to be released for some time to come.

#20 gm9928

gm9928

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

I want it. If its just demos, I'd buy it if they were good. My only thing is they make it clear that its an unfinished album. I'm completely against music being finished without the artist.
IMO, they should release the demos that were for the 3rd album and anything from before, at a later date. I don't want it milked for years and with a ton of trivial releases though.

Finally, I'd like a massive book with every song she wrote. I'm sure they took her notebooks and computer today so someone has it.

If it's good, I wanna hear it.

#21 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

Almost every song is a greatest hit

Almost? :P

It's the same thing as with the Frank bsides, most of us think they were good enough to be on an album, Amy didn't. It's good they weren't released officially, but it's great we had a chance to listen to them.. What to do, what to do?

As long as the record company earns money from it (and we all know what a dead artist mean to a record company), I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one posthumous album. Followed by a million greatest hits pieces, but that's something else..

#22 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

I would love to hear anything she did simply because my selfish side thinks the fans deserved something after waiting for so long. On the other hand, I'm looking forward more to the duet with Tony Bennett than a handful of unfinished tracks which she probably wasn't too happy with.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#23 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I would hate to see them 'ruin' her legacy by releasing tracks that she wouldn't have want to release. I guess I would be cool with demo's though.. but nothing that wasn't close to the finished project and most definitely no tracks that have been produced after her death.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#24 ditavt

ditavt

The final frame...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, if we hear anything I think I want to hear it as it is, i.e. If it's an acoustic demo or something I'd much prefer it as it stands over an over-produced version with some music added later to flesh the demo out to a "full" song.

#25 Alfredo_t

Alfredo_t

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

I would definitely like to hear a sampling of what she has been working on since Back to Black. But to make a posthumous less icky from an ethical standpoint, I think that the record company should donate part of the proceeds from the sale of this album to organizations that help addicts of drugs and alcohol. I realize that's somewhat of a longshot.

--Alfredo
Alfredo_t, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Jan 2008.

#26 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

I would definitely like to hear a sampling of what she has been working on since Back to Black. But to make a posthumous less icky from an ethical standpoint, I think that the record company should donate part of the proceeds from the sale of this album to organizations that help addicts of drugs and alcohol. I realize that's somewhat of a longshot.

--Alfredo

Not really a longshot. Her royalties go to her estate, which is her lawyer/parents and they do with it what they want, and if its the charity her father mentioned, then yeah.

#27 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:26 AM

I'm desperate to hear new Amy music, as long as it's good quality and they wait a decent interval. I would want her parents to approve it. I think it's inevitable that something will come out eventually because history is not going to forget her and will in fact want to understand her better.

The uniformly high quality of Amy's released material was amazing to me. She was so disorganized in her personal life, but in her recorded music she was the exact opposite -- a real craftsman, so disciplined and perfectionist. The following paragraph from the Slate article beautifully expresses that:

Amy Winehouse, the British singer who died last weekend, was a paradoxical artist. Did she, could she, really understand what she was doing? Her social behavior, convulsed by myriad addictions, was atrocious—a spectacle of assaults, drug arrests, and public embarrassments as she emerged from one spot of trouble and dove into another almost reflexively. She was boozy and disheveled, a tarted-up gamin somehow reminiscent both of a blowzed '60s pinup and a canny street urchin, all wrapped up with the bow of her almost Dickensian name on top. Yet she radiated precision and formalism in her music. Her gaze on a stage could be vacant, almost affectless. But somehow her albums betray an astringent intelligence, over- and undertones of meaning and calculation, and a surprisingly nuanced grasp of the music she loved from decades long past. And her arresting voice conveyed not just emotion, but on occasion universal cataclysms of love, loss, and degradation.

http://www.slate.com/id/2300106/
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#28 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:23 AM

I didn't click the link to the article, so I only read what LyricGenuis posted. But anyway, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who can see how vacant her gaze sometimes is when she's on stage in those live videos.

I've never saw that look in anybody else's eyes before while they're performing and I'm not trying to glamorize her by saying this. Really, when it was time to sing, she was 100% into the music...but her mind was clearly somewhere nobody else was.

I know I'm rambling here, but that just always seemed weird to me, but I never brought it up to any of my other "Amy fans" because I didn't want them to think I was exaggerating or something. All in one song it's like she's in and out...in and out...and this was BEFORE AND AFTER the drugs, which makes it weirder to me.

#29 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

^^I know what you mean.

#30 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

• Members