32 replies to this topic

#16 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

I don't think it matters when you become a fan, as long as you are one. Sometimes, you miss out on things because you don't look into them. I also think it kind of sucks that she had to die before others could realize she was brilliant. No more pap pictures, no more bad press. All that's left is her music, so now people pay attention. It sucks, but it is what it is. As long as people find a new love for her I'm happy with it. I want everyone to know and love her. That's not possible but the thought of other people finding her music and liking it makes me content with at least something out of all this.

Thank you!!! This is what ive basically been trying to say but didnt know how to put in words. But you summed it up perfectly for me.

What you said eased me guilt somewhat(that i have been feeling the past several days) of not looking more into her during her peak. But no matter how guilty i feel about that i have to move on.

Its also ironic she passes shortly before the 30th birthday of MTV. Hopefully she gets a BIG tribute at the vmas next month. I really hope the show does not start with some cheesy ass comedian and their lame intro(like they do every year).

Because if they start with a comedy routine first it will make the tribute seem like it is not sincere.

Anyway hopefully people begin understanding that nothing is wrong with "new amy fans" like myself

#17 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

#4 this week. really disappointed! why my country so stupid?

#18 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

You mean the USA right? Yeah i live in NY an im not surprised. Even though I myself am a new fan it really has been disgusting the lack of promotion she has gotten on music television.

This morning at 10 am exactly i saw the "tears dry on my own" video start playing on a certain music channel(dont recall which one). It was my first time ever seeing that video(and pretty much seeing any winehouse video besides rehab).

I got really excited for a second and thoughtthat they showed it at 10 am because they were going to have a half an hour of amy videos.....

Guess what? ....after that video they didnt show any of her videos for the whole hour. They just kept playing other artists.

It really is sad....but at the same time didnt Back to Black go diamond worldwide? So we really cannot complain too much about it not being number 1 now....although it is dissapointing

#19 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

This country doesn't appreciate anything. Some of our own greats have had to go overseas to get recognition.

On a plus note I programmed some of her songs on the jukebox at a bar the other night and nearly the whole place was singing along.
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

#20 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

This country doesn't appreciate anything. Some of our own greats have had to go overseas to get recognition.

On a plus note I programmed some of her songs on the jukebox at a bar the other night and nearly the whole place was singing along.

At least you were lucky that you had people singing along and not that one asshole that decides to get mad a you for playing the music you like.

I really still dont understand why these music channels are doing this. I thought for a second maybe because she was british and this country was tired of britian haging all the music icons.....

But then i said that didnt make sense for 2 reasons

1. Alot of people here have some love affair with the Beatles and they arent native born in america

2. Justin Bieber is Canadian...lol

So i guess it is not because she wanst born here....there has to be some other reason. Im getting really upset...I want to learn more about amy

Is it hard to have a ONE HOUR presentation of her concerts and music videos

If MTV can show a random 5 minute clip of Bill Clinton talking to kids while running for president(which they did during that mtv 30th birthday special)....y the heck cant they show a music icon.

If Gaga called the music channels out on this i GUARENTEE you that thet would listen

#21 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

Amy was played on VH1 and MTV whenever they played music videos. There was always an issue imo with cross promotion. B2B was released internationally Oct. 2006 and then March 2007 in the US. By the time the album was released in the US, I think Back To Black was the current single in the UK. You Know Im No Good was the first single her label tried to make happen in the US, then they switched to Rehab. THe US was already 2 singles behind everyone else. It took a while for Rehab to catch on in the US but once it did, it pretty much ran its course for a while. I remember "Tears Dry..." being on in the UK and the US was finally getting Back To Black's video.

Anywho, B2B sold because it was a mega album and word of mouth helped a lot. But as far as music videos, etc... the timings were always a bit off from the original time line set by the original UK release. I don't remember any of her songs really charting on billboards but her album sold well.

I remember Amy being pretty shocked at how popular she was in the US by the time she decided to do a promotional tour late spring/Summer 2007. Like SOLD OUT SHOWS in the US.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#22 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:13 AM

#4 this week. really disappointed! why my country so stupid?

Amy WAS in the top 10, now she's in the top 5. I had that sentiment the first time around when B2B peaked at #2. With a proper US tour she would have possibly been #1 for many weeks. Amy did things her way. Guess I'm just happy Amy is getting new fans. Wish there could have been another way.

#23 Hazz

Hazz

R.I.P. Amy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

Back to Black at number one again and Frank at number 3. - http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-14436191

Cher Lloyd is at number 1 in the singles chart with Swagger Jagger...:dash2:
Well I woke up today and you're on the other side
Our time will never come again
But if you can still dream
Close your eyes it will seem
That you can see me now and then.

#24 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Cher Lloyd is at number 1 in the singles chart with Swagger Jagger

had to check it out..for about 30 seconds. 90% of pop music is shit.

#25 BiffJ76

BiffJ76

Dept of Health

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

It is unfortunate that a lot of great artists go through this after their death. Especially if they led an interesting life, where they have gone through pitfalls. The media and the public love to watch people struggle with issues and make them out to be asses, but as soon as they are gone, they are praising them. Michael Jackson's death was the worst example of this.

#26 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

Back to Black at number one again and Frank at number 3. - http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-14436191

Cher Lloyd is at number 1 in the singles chart with Swagger Jagger...:dash2:

One funny moment (one of the few) from the looting: someone posted on a forum that when the HMV was looted, all the stock was taken, with the exception of Swagger Jagger, which was left on the shelves.
"I've got hair like them"

#27 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

World charts: #2 B2B, #7 Frank
http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm

#28 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

I ordered "Frank" and "Back to Black" on AmazonUK several hours ago. I almost got the regular version of Back to Black but then i saw a recommendation for the Deluxe version and got that instead.

I still feel some guilt for not doing all of this back in June/ early July when i had the chance....but im learning not to be too upset with myself since its in the past now.

And like Divine_Comedy said it really shouldnt matter when you become a fan.

Edited by LegendJJ, 14 August 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#29 aries_124

aries_124

I died a hundred times

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

This week's UK album charts:

#1 Back To Black
#4 Frank

http://www.bbc.co.uk...o1/chart/albums

#30 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

Its nice to see her albums are still in the top 5. Its a shame she did not have other albums....like one with her and her jazz singers as a group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users