• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

i forgot to say i'm known for my BAD memory.

for guys like us:

#77 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

this is true..i bought a book to improve memory several years ago and was reading it one morning. i had to go buy groceries and said, fk it, i don't need a list.
i found everything and finally got to the checkout and reached for my wallet containing debit card. u guessed it.
had to leave the basket there, drive home, get my wallet and go back.

#78 penelope tree

penelope tree

Penelope tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:10 AM

i forgot to say i'm known for my BAD memory.

And a wicked keen sense of humor:-P

#79 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

Does anybody else see the irony in this? Maybe that's why she liked this song, though. You just never know with people.

#80 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

you mean the lyrics?
You're wondering now, what to do, now you know this is the end
You're wondering how, you will pay, for the way you did behave
Curtain has fallen, now you're on your own
I won't return, forever you will wait

#81 penelope tree

penelope tree

Penelope tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I imagine she grew up listening to the Specials. They've been around forever (sort of). Very UK. I used to listen to them. Loved ska quite a bit for awhile.

And the lyrics. Well, what's not to identify with, you know?
:'-(

Nice video. Thanks.

#82 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

It really is amazing how she is not getting much play on music channels on tv here in the states. I know Thursday mtv had some tribute but they didn't promote it enough in my opinion.

Everyday I check"on demand" and all I see listed over and over is "amy winehouse rehab live performance".

No interviews or anything.

When MJ died before you could blink he was hijacking all the music channels lol.

I know her career was much shorter but I don't think people realize she was one of the few true icons in ages. I myself realized all of this too late

#83 penelope tree

penelope tree

Penelope tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

It really is amazing how she is not getting much play on music channels on tv here in the states. I know Thursday mtv had some tribute but they didn't promote it enough in my opinion.

Everyday I check"on demand" and all I see listed over and over is "amy winehouse rehab live performance".

No interviews or anything.

When MJ died before you could blink he was hijacking all the music channels lol.

I know her career was much shorter but I don't think people realize she was one of the few true icons in ages. I myself realized all of this too late

Yup. Me too. This is a good place to catch up. So many good clips and very thoughtful comments. Welcome from another newbie.

Oh. Took me a minute. Michael Jackson. But he was hounded by the press for a long time before he died. It was painful. That's around the time I justngot rid of my television. I mean, people just lost their sanity dreaming up stuff that was so sordid. I ain't saying he wasn't neurotic and drugs didn't help f' him up. I saw him dangle a baby out the window. As a mom, I was appalled. That's all I know.

But Thriller is a killer album. And the man could dance. Consummate performer.

#84 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

Yup. Me too. This is a good place to catch up. So many good clips and very thoughtful comments. Welcome from another newbie.

Oh. Took me a minute. Michael Jackson. But he was hounded by the press for a long time before he died. It was painful. That's around the time I justngot rid of my television. I mean, people just lost their sanity dreaming up stuff that was so sordid. I ain't saying he wasn't neurotic and drugs didn't help f' him up. I saw him dangle a baby out the window. As a mom, I was appalled. That's all I know.

But Thriller is a killer album. And the man could dance. Consummate performer.

Yeah I'm not going to make the mistake on missing out on an artist during their peak and having a nonchalant mindset about them. Even though I started listening to her about a month before she died.....I feel bad for stopping and putting her on the backburner for a while.

But my guilt should go away some time. I wonder what the next music icon will be like? One thing I'm sure of is that any such icon is not going to be here for a while

I wonder what the next music

#85 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

I don't know what it will take to fill her shoes for me personally. those are awfully big shoes to fill. I've always said since the moment I was turned onto her, that I will never come to know another artist in my lifetime that moves me as much as she does. there was only one Amy; they broke the mold.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#86 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

I don't know what it will take to fill her shoes for me personally. those are awfully big shoes to fill. I've always said since the moment I was turned onto her, that I will never come to know another artist in my lifetime that moves me as much as she does. there was only one Amy; they broke the mold.

This may sound negative but i honestly think we are done with having NEW icons in music. What other unique kind of musicians can we get that are able to have a lasting impact?

#87 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

This may sound negative but i honestly think we are done with having NEW icons in music. What other unique kind of musicians can we get that are able to have a lasting impact?

#88 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

For now ill have faith in Rollingstone that they are pacing themselves for a wonderful tribute to Amy in next months issue. I really hope they do not dissapoint

Sorry my phone keeps acting up. I meant this to be an edit to my original post not a double post

Edited by LegendJJ, 03 August 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#89 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

For now ill have faith in Rollingstone that they are pacing themselves for a wonderful tribute to Amy in next months issue.

think you may be right

#90 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

Hey... I just want to inform everyone that Spin magazine responded yesterday to the letter I sent them this past Saturday. I will not give you any names or email addresses because that would be a bit rude. Here is what they said:

Hey Alex,
We've got a Winehouse tribute in the September issue. Believe me, we would've liked to have put out a Winehouse tribute sooner, but the realities are that we can't logistically rush out special issues. We're not like a newspaper in the stop-the-presses kind of way. But we do the best we can.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your feelings. Please keep in touch!

I'm still waiting to hear from RollingStone. Sorry everybody, I tried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users