91 replies to this topic

#1 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

Well, who saw this coming (if it's true)?

According to the UK's Daily Mirror, Kanye West is recording a cover of Amy Winehouse's 'Back to Black.' A "source" says that the rapper is currently working on the track now and hopes to premiere it in London next month, where he'll be performing at the 160th anniversary for menswear company Moss Bros.

"It's pretty emotive," the source said. "It's Kanye singing from the heart -- with synthesisers."

If that's true, then we can probably expect something along the lines of Yeezy's 2008 album '808s & Heartbreak.' Earlier this month, West paid tribute to Winehouse by playing her songs 'Tears Dry on Their Own' and 'Back to Black' at the Big Chill festival.

"We went to a house party and I met this beautiful, amazing, talented and funny woman. This is in memory of her," he said before spinning the tracks, and followed it by asking the media to lighten up on the artists who are still with us.

Watch Kanye West's Tribute to Amy Winehouse at Big Chill

http://www.spinner.c...inehouse-cover/
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

#2 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just, no.......
"I've got hair like them"

#3 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:32 PM

It's Kanye singing from the heart -- with synthesisers

am i getting old(er) or does that statement sound ridiculous?

#4 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

Synths can work with the right song but to turn Back to Black into some synth laden auto-tuned pop song is as bad as treason or sacrilege.

#5 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

Phil, no, not at all. It's ridiculous.

IMO.

Anyway, why would he want to record a song by someone who called him a 'see-you-next-Tuesday'?

#6 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

I never understood why people get upset when news gets out that a musician wants to cover a classic song.....

Its not like Kanye's version is going to replace the original back to black 10 years from now. Relax guys its just a cover song.

Its not like they are going to rerelease the Back to Black album and replace Amy's version with Kanye's

#7 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

^ We might sound outraged, but we're not. At least I'm not. 99.9% of the time I'm not remotely serious. Kanye can do whatever he wants.

When you've been around as long as some of us, you tend to get a bit protective of Amy, but it's all meant in good humor.

I save my real outrage for the tabloids.

#8 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

In my personal opinion.... Amy's music, just like plenty of the other musical geniuses that have left this earth, doesn't need to be "covered" or "remade" or "remixed". To be frank here, I refuse to listen to anyone's cover, including Adele's. It's just bullshit to me.

#9 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

^ We might sound outraged, but we're not. At least I'm not. 99.9% of the time I'm not remotely serious. Kanye can do whatever he wants.

When you've been around as long as some of us, you tend to get a bit protective of Amy, but it's all meant in good humor.

I save my real outrage for the tabloids.

Lol I know nobody isn't really outraged, just was surprised for a second at the reactions. But yeah I can understand you guys are just being protective of Amy.

Lol it is funny though that he is covering for an artist that called him a "cunt"

#10 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:10 AM

Covers are inevitable - but it's like remakes of classic movies - why bother? Here's a cover that I quite like, and not just because I'm a huge elbow fan. I genuinely like this.

#11 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:15 AM

Lol I know nobody isn't really outraged, just was surprised for a second at the reactions. But yeah I can understand you guys are just being protective of Amy.

Lol it is funny though that he is covering for an artist that called him a "cunt"

Lol i was cracking up when i heard about how she called him that! Though upon trying to search for the video where she calls him that, no results are yielded. Anyone have a link to it? lol

Covers are inevitable - but it's like remakes of classic movies - why bother? Here's a cover that I quite like, and not just because I'm a huge elbow fan. I genuinely like this.

I was just listening to this today! Its a great cover!

Im not sure about how Kanye's cover will be, but i cant help but appreciate artists who cover Amy to show how much they appreciated her.

#12 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

Lol i was cracking up when i heard about how she called him that! Though upon trying to search for the video where she calls him that, no results are yielded. Anyone have a link to it? lol

Im not sure about how Kanye's cover will be, but i cant help but appreciate artists who cover Amy to show how much they appreciated her.

Good point, as long as they are genuine and from the heart - then fair play to them. But I do draw the line at Bruno Mars - a girl's gotta have standards ;-)

(Sorry to all Bruno Mars fans :()

#13 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Good point, as long as they are genuine and from the heart - then fair play to them. But I do draw the line at Bruno Mars - a girl's gotta have standards ;-)

(Sorry to all Bruno Mars fans :()

Lol I agree with you. That Bruno Mars is a cornball.....imo

Ironically one of the best covers EVER was Mj when he completely DESTROYED smokey robinson's on his own original song "who's loving you".....he made him look really bad. And MJ was like less than 10 years old right?

Another great cover is Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower". Bob Dylan even admitted when he is performing the song he looks to Hendrix as an inspiration.

I would even put Amy's rendition of "Valerie" somewhere on that list

#14 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

I have to be fair and admit that Amy covered other artists and I loved her versions so I can't be a hypocrite about it.

#15 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

Wait I just realized something. Didn't Kanye once say he made 808s and Heartbreak an autotune album because he cannot sing(I'm paraphrasing....does someone have the exact quote?

So this either means that he will be using his REAL voice for the whole song....or he will be going back to autotune for one song.

I doubt its the latter since he is tributing to Amy ....but you never know..

Edit: Just reread the article. I guess him using "synthesizers" confirms that it will not be his real voice....unless synthesizer means something else

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users