91 replies to this topic

#31 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

Why is Amy's death a trend to performers who think about themselves to be artists?

'I can't believe I'm opening for a *beep* like Kanye' at what I think was a festival. I'm pretty sure she was joking.

I'm pretty sure she didn't.

#32 africanfusion

africanfusion

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

I recall he wrote on his blog something like "Amy Ainehouse hates me, now i've made it." & Jay-Z also commented saying he didn't know why she said what she did & that he should hook the two of them up.

For all we know they may have resolved their differences, would be a bit odd for Kanye to play tribute to Amy at his show & then retool one of her songs knowing she hated him.

#33 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

I don't want a rapper cover amy's songs...:T

You sound just like Noel Gallagher.....>:-(

#34 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

Oh I don't really mind Kanye doing this, I think he means well. It's not like he needs the money. I'm not a big fan but I do think he's quite a character.

And as for what Amy said, tbh I didn't really like her slagging off other artists even when they deserved it. I know it was part of her irrepressible honesty but I thought she should rise above it. But that's all water under the bridge now, and I love her for all that she was.

We'll have to brace ourselves for endless covers I'm afraid. At least Kanye's got talent. It's a good thing I don't watch the X Factor because I'll bet they'll do an Amy tribute night and it will be utterly dreadful!
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#35 Chloƫ

Chloƫ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have to admit, I liked her slagging off artists, mostly because it was so witty
"Dido's is background music - to death"
I remember reading that she wouldn't talk about other artists any more because her nan told her not to :D
As for Kanye West, oh well, covers always attract new fans?

#36 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

He's just bandwagoning. Remind me how many other artists he has ripped off?

#37 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

He's just bandwagoning. Remind me how many other artists he has ripped off?

Um zero.......

He's pretty much his own personality and artist

#38 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Touch The Sky uses a sample from Curtis Mayfield.

#39 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

You sound just like Noel Gallagher.....>:-(

:D

I like Kanye so I don't mind. There are so many atrocious covers all over the internet you could be upset over, he's a fantastic producer and he'll probably do a good job. If he doesn't, well, it'll probably anyway make more people listen to the original. Nothing wrong with that.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#40 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Um zero.......

He's pretty much his own personality and artist

Don't you have to do, like, you know, art to be an artist? :-P

#41 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Touch The Sky uses a sample from Curtis Mayfield.

Lol no offense but are you serious? That's like me saying Amy ripped off Nas when she sampled "Made you Look".

Every artist does samples. You can't accuse them of ripping off another artist if all they are doing is sampling them..:amyshock:

#42 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

:D

I like Kanye so I don't mind. There are so many atrocious covers all over the internet you could be upset over, he's a fantastic producer and he'll probably do a good job. If he doesn't, well, it'll probably anyway make more people listen to the original. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. Even though I said I don't see how the cover would be good since Kanye is going to be using synthesizers.....I have NO problem with him doing this.

I really don't understand the reactions from people whenever a certain music artist wants to cover a famous song.

They say things like "No its timeless"......"It will never beat the original...I won't support it!!" LOL iits obvious it has a very low chance of beating the original ...the artist covering it just wants to show their respect to a person they admire.

You cannot just say you don't want Kanye to cover a song because you don't like his attitude. I'm not speaking ill of the dead when I say this but Amy said certain things about other artists herself that maybe she should not. You cant just say "oh she was just outspoken" and then when Kanye does something similar(or worse) you hold it against him for ages.

Move on the guy isn't as bad as people make him out to be(btw Elsie I'm not referring to you)

#43 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Lol no offense but are you serious? That's like me saying Amy ripped off Nas when she sampled "Made you Look".

Every artist does samples. You can't accuse them of ripping off another artist if all they are doing is sampling them..:amyshock:

And Nas sampled the Apache Bongo Band.
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

#44 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

And Nas sampled the Apache Bongo Band.

And what's wrong with that?...:-S

Nothing is wrong with a sample ....just as long as you are not plagarizing a song word for word or using the same exact chorus

#45 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm sorry, but bashing Kanye West for using samples? Seriously? Oh, Come on. Have you listened to Back to Black (album) lately?

Who doesn't use samples? It's been going on for years!

If you don't like Kanye West's music or personality, that's totally fine. Personally, his music's not my cup of tea, but I do think he's very talented.

It's all been done before. Everything. Nothing can be truly original in this day and age.
"I've got hair like them"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users