91 replies to this topic

#46 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

I am not bashing him for using samples. I was only giving an example. Back to Black has samples on it and so does Frank.
Mike from NY, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Sep 2007.

#47 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

^ I wasn't addressing you, Mike - sorry if you think I was!

Sorry Mama Haze, but just b/c Kanye has used samples does not make him a rip-off artist or a plagiarizer.

As long as samples are credited, I see nothing wrong with it. P*Nut, anyone?

I'm still not crazy about the idea of him covering Back to Black, but that's cuz his music isn't my cup of tea, not because he lacks talent. He definitely does not lack talent. Imo.
"I've got hair like them"

#48 veronika

veronika

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationMéxico

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

First thought - what kind of fuckery is this??

I personally don't like Kanye... i do think he's a bit of a cunt, to quote Amy, but he does have talent. Thing is, it s nice to see people are somehow paying respects to her.
I know i probably won't be loving his version though.
Posted Image

#49 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Who doesn't use samples?

Most of the bands I listen to don't use samples, to be honest.

Yes, I am fucking old LOL

#50 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

^ I wasn't addressing you, Mike - sorry if you think I was!

I think it was at me.

I'm not bashing anyone, I'm just saying that if you want to listen to whoever, go ahead and be happy.

My idea about sampling is that now is pretty much out of control. Most hip hop is based on samples, right? If it's done right, it's all good, but I can't call an artist someone who uses the same 4-5 seconds of a good old song (damn it, I think Mayfield rolled in his grave), puts a beat on it and sings lyrics like:

I know a bar out in mars
Where they driving spaceships instead of cars
Cop a prada space suit about the stars
Getting stupid hah straight up out the jars
Pockets on shrek, rockets on deck
Tell me whats next? Alien sex.
Imma disrobe you
Then Imma probe you
See I abducted you
So I tell you what to do

It's a shame that this is labeled as hip hop.

AGAIN: I'm just explaining why I don't like people like this guy, but if it makes you feel good when you listen to him, go ahead and do it. We don't chose what to like and what not.

#51 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

He does dig Laura Nyro,my favorite singer/songwriter enough to sample her in The Glory, so I will give him a bit of leeway

http://www.whosample...ve the Country/

#52 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Most of the bands I listen to don't use samples, to be honest.

Yes, I am fucking old LOL

You wouldn't know unless you knew everything that influenced them, imo. Mark Ronson's productions are always authentic. The bridge/breakdown in "You Know I'm no Good" is a sample but you'd never know because it wasn't credited. Along with the inspirations behind Back To Black and "Walking In The Sand." They aren't credited but they're noted as inspiration because the productions aren't identical, I assume.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#53 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

I think it was at me.

I'm not bashing anyone, I'm just saying that if you want to listen to whoever, go ahead and be happy.

My idea about sampling is that now is pretty much out of control. Most hip hop is based on samples, right? If it's done right, it's all good, but I can't call an artist someone who uses the same 4-5 seconds of a good old song (damn it, I think Mayfield rolled in his grave), puts a beat on it and sings lyrics like:

I know a bar out in mars
Where they driving spaceships instead of cars
Cop a prada space suit about the stars
Getting stupid hah straight up out the jars
Pockets on shrek, rockets on deck
Tell me whats next? Alien sex.
Imma disrobe you
Then Imma probe you
See I abducted you
So I tell you what to do

It's a shame that this is labeled as hip hop.

AGAIN: I'm just explaining why I don't like people like this guy, but if it makes you feel good when you listen to him, go ahead and do it. We don't chose what to like and what not.

Oh come on now... Quoting Kanye's lyrics in a Katy Perry song to prove his skills is about as fair as quoting "they tried to make me go to rehab i said no no no" when talking about Amy's lyrical genius, isn't it? I honestly don't get the hate. Swift got over it, so should everyone else. Her career benefited from it anyway.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#54 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

Oh come on now... Quoting Kanye's lyrics in a Katy Perry song to prove his skills is about as fair as quoting "they tried to make me go to rehab i said no no no" when talking about Amy's lyrical genius, isn't it? I honestly don't get the hate. Swift got over it, so should everyone else. Her career benefited from it anyway.

Lol I know right. People really need to get over it. Even Swift made jokes about the whole situation. Its almost been 2 years.

That's like holding a grude against Obama because of the "special olympics" joke he made years ago(I'm not defending that btw).

If Kanye stays on his best behavior for the rest of the decade....are people going to say "yeaahhh he is behaved now but remember all the way back in 2009 what he did to Taylor"

#55 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

i think some people here need to get over telling others what to get over, but that's just my opinion.

#56 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

Imma let you finish, but "they tried to make me go to rehab i said no no no" is pure genius.

Talking on autotune about how many bitches he has, how rich he is, how bad boy, how great, how above them all, how many houses and money he has.. I think that's vanity.

Here, other lyrics, random song

I’m fresher than you all
so I don’t have to pause
all of y’all can suck my balls through my draws
dark knight feeling, die or be a hero
or live long enough to see yourself become a villain
I went from the favourite to the most hated
or would you rather be underpaid or over-rated?

Again, for the last time:
Kanye probably doesn't suck.
Kanye definitely sucks in my opinion.

#57 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

i think some people here need to get over telling others what to get over, but that's just my opinion.

Fine, don't get over it then? Dismissing someone as an artist because he got drunk and acted stupid is a bit silly, but hey that's just my opinion.

I'm not going to argue over Kanye here anyway... let's agree to disagree on that matter.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#58 iwakeupalone

iwakeupalone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

"...and I'll battle til this bitter finale. Please, at least I'm not opening for a cunt like Kanye..." - Amy, Glasto 2008

#59 LucyGoose

LucyGoose

Think love and wear a smile...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

And this is only the beginning of the covers....
I only wish she would have gotten this huge amount of support when she was still alive. I didn't see too many artists putting themselves out there (except for some mentioned above) as AW fans since it seems they didn't want to be tarred with the drugs/booze brush.
I dunno, just my 2 cents.

#60 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

I must be old as tar because I don't even know what a sample is. haha
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users