91 replies to this topic

#16 Divine_Comedy

Divine_Comedy

Lost is just what can't be seen.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:58 AM

Please tell me this is a joke. From what I can tell she highly disliked him. Covers happen but him doing so is a recipe for disaster. Oi.

*and if what calls itself a world should
have the luck to hear such singing*

http://www.amywinehouseforum.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1716&dateline=1327218895

#17 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:07 AM

I have to be fair and admit that Amy covered other artists and I loved her versions so I can't be a hypocrite about it.

I have to agree with you. I think the sentiment here though has to do with who is covering which song. Who would do better sticking the the jazzy material on Frank and who has enough brilliance to sing the soulful songs on B2B. Not just deliver the song, but to sell each lyric with a special intimacy of soul and heart which was characteristic of the great artist that is Amy Winehouse. See, her songs are religion to me...kinda sacred and precious.
I'd like to see clips of Amy, and Adele perform LIALG.

#18 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:14 AM

Please tell me this is a joke. From what I can tell she highly disliked him. Covers happen but him doing so is a recipe for disaster. Oi.

Well we don't actually know if she disliked him....she may have just been angry at him for the taylor swift thing. A lot of musicians criticized him for that. Doesn't mean that they hate him.

But we have no way of knowing her true feelings on Kanye.

Even if this is a "recipe for disaster" ....it will be a disaster for Kanye. Amy's original will still look great either way.

10 years from now no one will remember Chris Brown covered a MJ song:D

#19 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

imo, it will probably be "a bit shit", but if it's done in the spirit of honoring a great artist i can't protest at all....

#20 Divine_Comedy

Divine_Comedy

Lost is just what can't be seen.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

I don't claim to know anything it was from what I could tell. And if he makes a bad cover it doesnt matter. Just not into his bit that's all. Lots of people like him I just dont basically sorry haha :)

*and if what calls itself a world should
have the luck to hear such singing*

http://www.amywinehouseforum.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1716&dateline=1327218895

#21 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

Re the whole Amy dissing Kanye thingamajig.

My memory is kind of fuzzy, but the only time I can recall her ever saying anything about him is, as far as I can recall, was when she sang, as we know, 'I can't believe I'm opening for a *beep* like Kanye' at what I think was a festival. I'm pretty sure she was joking.

This may be related to the 'outrage' that occurred when it was announced that Jay-Z was headlining Glastonbury. Noel Gallagher was actually the only person who was 'outraged' - saying something like "Hip Hop has no place at Glastonbury; I'm not having it".

Jay, knowing he had to play to a mostly indie-music loving crowd of 50,000 + opened his set with a kick-ass 'Wonderwall', and proceeded to play the concert of his life. Noel really didn't have much to say after that.

Anyway, her comment might have had something to do with the whole idea of some people feeling hip hop was not quite 'right' for British festivals - maybe Amy was making a joke of how ridiculous she thought the whole 'uproar' was? She loved hip hop, after all....

Just a thought. Probably completely wrong, but a thought nonetheless. Now, I have no doubts on her thoughts on Dido and Katie Melua. But I have no evidence that she actually disliked Kanye. Who knows.

FWIW, I think Kanye's 'big ego' is actually hiding huge insecurity. He seemed to be having a bit of a meltdown too, around the VMAs. I'm not happy with what he did to Taylor Swift, but I honestly think he was having some issues.
"I've got hair like them"

#22 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

Re the whole Amy dissing Kanye thingamajig.

My memory is kind of fuzzy, but the only time I can recall her ever saying anything about him is, as far as I can recall, was when she sang, as we know, 'I can't believe I'm opening for a *beep* like Kanye' at what I think was a festival. I'm pretty sure she was joking.

This may be related to the 'outrage' that occurred when it was announced that Jay-Z was headlining Glastonbury. Noel Gallagher was actually the only person who was 'outraged' - saying something like "Hip Hop has no place at Glastonbury; I'm not having it".

Jay, knowing he had to play to a mostly indie-music loving crowd of 50,000 + opened his set with a kick-ass 'Wonderwall', and proceeded to play the concert of his life. Noel really didn't have much to say after that.

Anyway, her comment might have had something to do with the whole idea of some people feeling hip hop was not quite 'right' for British festivals - maybe Amy was making a joke of how ridiculous she thought the whole 'uproar' was? She loved hip hop, after all....

Just a thought. Probably completely wrong, but a thought nonetheless. Now, I have no doubts on her thoughts on Dido and Katie Melua. But I have no evidence that she actually disliked Kanye. Who knows.

FWIW, I think Kanye's 'big ego' is actually hiding huge insecurity. He seemed to be having a bit of a meltdown too, around the VMAs. I'm not happy with what he did to Taylor Swift, but I honestly think he was having some issues.

Wow this Noel Gallagher guy really said that? That statement he made was really ignorant and he was generalizing way too much.

Anyway that one picture of Amy and Blake with Kanye and his ex fiance may give a clue to how she felt about him.Apparently it was a party but we don't know if it was one for Kanye or Amy.

For all we know one of them could have invited the other. Or maybe I'm wrong and they met each other by accident.

Anyway if I were to guess with Amy's personality she probably would say neither Taylor or Beyonce should have won lol:D

#23 juniour

juniour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

Kanye u better go go go...its a No No No!!!! Sorry Kanye fans :)
~~~I Go Back to Black~~~
http://www.facebook.com/JuniourGoh

#24 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

I'm a huge Kanye fan but....right now I'm trying to replace Kanye's voice with Amy's on Back to Black and it does not fit...

Even though I think he has the right to make any cover he wants, I don't see this cover being good

#25 juniour

juniour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:38 AM

He's a talented Producer, and would be amazing if they'd done some tracks together...it'll be whoa :)
~~~I Go Back to Black~~~
http://www.facebook.com/JuniourGoh

#26 lnz

lnz

I'll buy the Rizla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

I feel like this is just Kanye trying to get attention.

Edited by lnz, 19 August 2011 - 05:36 AM.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

#27 Jaede~

Jaede~

Fanks Daaaarling~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

I don't want a rapper cover amy's songs...:T
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#28 D-Bomb

D-Bomb

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

She called him a cunt at Glastonbury. Shouldn't that be enough. I was/barely still am a Kanye fan but no.

To the commenter above, she wasn't joking. You can look it up, Some Unholy War, Glastonbury 08.

Sidenote- Jay slaughtered Glastonbury that year. 'Twas fucking epic.

#29 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

I can smell the self-indulgence from here..... Amy would have pissed her pants.

#30 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

i looked this up because i thought it had been covered thousands of times. just a bit of trivia.

1. Yesterday, the Beatles. It has been covered more than 3,000 times, including by Joan Baez, Liberace, Sinatra, Elvis, Daffy Duck, En Vogue and Boyz II Men.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users