35 replies to this topic

#16 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

"I guess basically Amy LOVED to work on music but didn't know what exactly she wanted out of it"

i think you nailed it. she was without direction. and in recovery from abuse of hard drugs. it takes time to find yourself again

Especially since most of the drugs she took were downers/depressants (counting alcohol)

Maybe a stimulant like Ritalin that not only increases focus but also dopamine could have helped her manic depression and help her find motivation

:(

#17 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

I think Gaga is incredibly talented, but I don't think we can compare her to Amy in that way - Amy was on another level in terms of vocal ability and her songwriting. When Tony said he's never met a more talented person in his life, he's probably referring to her voice, her piano playing, her ability to write a massive pop hit, her creativity with her set designs, costumes, music videos etc. I wouldn't necessarily say Gaga is more talented than Amy, but she definitely is more of an all-rounder. (side note: I'd prefer someone who is a genius in one area rather than great in many)

What the interview implied about Amy's lack of purpose reflects what Lily Allen said about Amy being such a lost soul. She had all this talent to burn, but wasn't interested in selling a million albums, or worried about falling out of the spotlight, or about having number one singles. I think what she most desired was the approval of her peers and her heros, which she achieved in a couple of albums. Where can you go from there?

#18 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

What the interview implied about Amy's lack of purpose reflects what Lily Allen said about Amy being such a lost soul. She had all this talent to burn, but wasn't interested in selling a million albums, or worried about falling out of the spotlight, or about having number one singles. I think what she most desired was the approval of her peers and her heros, which she achieved in a couple of albums. Where can you go from there?

Exactly my thoughts. She was aware of how brilliant she was and wanted everyone else to know it too. You know it's ironic how this girl who the press branded a nutter was infact more down to earth and clearheaded than most celebrities...

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#19 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Especially since most of the drugs she took were downers/depressants (counting alcohol)

Maybe a stimulant like Ritalin that not only increases focus but also dopamine could have helped her manic depression and help her find motivation

:(

dunno. i think she got worked with the success of B2B way beyond a level she could cope with given who she was. can you imagine blowing up internationally, where your name is all of a sudden on everyone's lips all over the world? just guessing.
i don't think it's any wonder she found relief for all of it in narcotics. and they ravaged her to her core.
if any of you have any experience here you know what I mean....it's that first hit, and a feeling that comes over you that tells you this is what has been missing in your life. Not just well being, but euphoric. I think the hard stuff gave Amy a way to cope with the crowds and all the noise that was just too much...

just an opinion

#20 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

As far as Amy lacking a sense of purpose, I don't think she was ever really that career-minded. Music was just something that came naturally to her and that she often used as a form of self-therapy, as she herself said. She loved singing and songwriting and had very high standards for her work, and was proud of her work (most of the time), but I don't think she actually viewed it as "work". It was more like, this is her soul in action, which is what made her so compelling. She was about as pure an artist as you can imagine. But when her "soul" got into real trouble, she didn't have a professional drive or work ethic to fall back on, which made her vulnerable.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#21 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:10 AM

Tony would have made a good mentor for Amy. I wish they had met even sooner. She really respected him, and he had been through drug problems himself but recovered. I don't think she would have wanted to disappoint him. He's such a patient and humble guy, and takes an interest in younger artists, and clearly saw Amy's potential. I think it would have worked out well.
Posted Image

#22 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:45 AM

I always liked and admired Tony Bennett, but after reading this article, I have a renewed admiration for him. What a wonderful, warm, genuine human being he is. And such a gentleman.

‘I’m not going to cry,’ Winehouse snuffled, as Bennett took her hands. Her almost comically casual air of youthful confidence (peppering conversation with ‘all right’ and ‘whatever’) evaporated in front of her idol, although Bennett was doing his best to put her at ease.

I feel that Amy's bravado - her 'alrights' and 'whatevers' masked her insecurity. That was her armor.

I thought the article was exceptionally well-written. It's heartening to see that good journalism still exists!

Edited by Lainey, 03 September 2011 - 02:53 AM.

"I've got hair like them"

#23 crol

crol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:03 AM

FYI - a snippet of Gaga and Tony's duet. It sounds great! She's definitely a theatrical performer.
[vbtube]DNwKRf4lSKM[/vbtube]

#24 crol

crol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

You can preview the songs from the album here:
http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B005KNV9LG

A bit more Amy! We're slowly bit by bit hearing the whole performance

#25 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:17 AM

^I love the way she sings the words "body and soul" in that preview. It's amazing she could still do acrobatics like that.
Posted Image

#26 Jaede~

Jaede~

Fanks Daaaarling~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

FYI - a snippet of Gaga and Tony's duet. It sounds great! She's definitely a theatrical performer.
[vbtube]DNwKRf4lSKM[/vbtube]

She sound great! : D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

As far as Amy lacking a sense of purpose, I don't think she was ever really that career-minded. Music was just something that came naturally to her and that she often used as a form of self-therapy, as she herself said. She loved singing and songwriting and had very high standards for her work, and was proud of her work (most of the time), but I don't think she actually viewed it as "work". It was more like, this is her soul in action, which is what made her so compelling. She was about as pure an artist as you can imagine. But when her "soul" got into real trouble, she didn't have a professional drive or work ethic to fall back on, which made her vulnerable.

I think Gaga is incredibly talented, but I don't think we can compare her to Amy in that way - Amy was on another level in terms of vocal ability and her songwriting. When Tony said he's never met a more talented person in his life, he's probably referring to her voice, her piano playing, her ability to write a massive pop hit, her creativity with her set designs, costumes, music videos etc. I wouldn't necessarily say Gaga is more talented than Amy, but she definitely is more of an all-rounder. (side note: I'd prefer someone who is a genius in one area rather than great in many)

This is why i love Amy so much. She didnt feel the need to be number one, she just had such a love for music. It was about just that - music. Not money, not impressing everyone, not to get press. It was just about making beautiful music to Amy. With that in mind, she still received all the attention and success that those who seek attention crave, yet, it is not what she wanted or needed to make her happy, and yet, she only had two albums. Thats how incredible she was. Such an impact on the industry without trying too hard as so many artists do. It was just so natural. She was such a sweet girl too.

As for Gaga being talented in a lot of categories - i totally agree! A restaurant that serves everything is never good at cooking one specialty.

#28 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

Great article. I only read the first part but i love how the narration is so detailed. I only imagine how cute the whole situation was with her being nervous and having all this respect for him. Damn, if only she could have won this battle... I guess she also sinned against her talent.

60do5Ti.jpg

#29 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Jennifer: thanks for uploading the gaga video w/tony. I only heard her sing for the first time the other night on the MTV music awards...had never heard her before. I think she too is talented, but in a different way than Amy.

I have to say when you listen to Gaga singing w/Tony to the lady is a tramp, she sounds soooo much like Lena Horne!

can't wait to get this album. I'm a huge fan of all the jazz standards.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#30 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Because of how Gaga acts, people sometime forget that she has a beautiful voice.

Hearing her sing like this is no surprise to me.

As for Amy not that I'm complaining about her and Tony's duet....I just wish it was an original composition instead of a cover :( Not that I have anything against covers. I love a lot of them. Its just that I would have like to see what Amy's writing skills were like in her last months alive and how much it improved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users