22 replies to this topic

#1 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:58 AM

Sam Shaker, owner of Jazz After Dark, has galleries of may of his portrait paintings online, and a great deal of them are pictures of Amy, some of which she commissioned, and others that he just did because he enjoyed painting her.

artbysamshaker.co.uk

I apologize if this is a repost.

#2 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'm a very proud owner of one of his portraits :)

#3 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

WOW. Do you have one of his portraits? I absolutely love them. Amy's portraits are awesome. He really captures her spirit. I don't know how to explain it but when you see one of them it's like if you were watching her.
My uncle lives in Valencia and this man owns a house there. Once he met him and asked him how much Amy's portraits cost because he wanted to buy one for me, but he said they were Amy's so he couldn't sell them.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#4 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I think Sam missed his calling. I swear so many of his portraits always looked like photographs they were just that good.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#5 CHCHANEL

CHCHANEL

rulers one thing but come brixton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:46 AM

I heard that they removed his lovely paintings from Jazz After Dark after two of the paintings was stolen.
He then explained he wanted to put them in a safer place where her fans could watch them.
Has anyone heard more information about this or are they still looking for a place to exhibit them?
I would really like to see those someday.

Wow, you are really fortunate!
May I be curious and ask how you got it?
I suppose it's on your wall in the room you spend the most time? Wow, I would love an amy painting.

At least I have a lovely poster of Amy too see everyday.

Posted Image

#6 Juan19

Juan19

RIP AmyWinehouse. We miss you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Those are very nice photos of amy! Congrats to him!

#7 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

wow, that is so crazy that someone(s) have stolen a couple of those paintings. I swear, nothing is sacred. I couldn't live w/myself and would feel that Karma. lol

Anna-Marie...I hope we find out where the paintings are so when u go in Dec., perhaps you can view them. I know u weren't able to get to JAD this past trip. I think that is a lovely thing of Sam to do though; to try to find a place that they can be viewed.

a bit off-topic, but there was a president of an Elvis fan club that posted on the AWF wall commenting that there really is so much that a foundation like hers can do to raise money and one of the things he suggested was a museum-I would SOOO be there! just to see her dresses alone!
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#8 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Love these pictures - does anyone know whether prints of them are available to buy? I would love one / two / three...!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 CHCHANEL

CHCHANEL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

Susan! I went and found the link:
http://www.thesun.co...ex-husband.html
(It was even worse than I remembered 'cause it was 4 paintings that got stolen)
I love Sam Shaker, he seems to me as such a lovely man with the biggest heart.
When I saw the clip of him crying when he spoke of Amy in one of those documentaries I just felt how much Amy meant to him.
I was really touched.

I can't believe how the person or persons who stole paintings from JAD can live with themselves.
If it was a fan or a simple thief doesn't matter, it's just terrible.
Well, what goes around comes around. I hope they'll get back to it's rightful place.

Posted Image

#10 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

The one I own I bought direct from Sam last year; after Amy commissioned them she decided she didn't want to buy them all after all, and I picked up one of the ones she didn't buy herself. I believe Sam wants to hold onto the others now, and they hang in the bar. They look great. Mine hangs in my bedroom/office, and I love it. I'm sure it's value has rocketed in the past few months, but of course, it isn't for sale! I treasure it.

Sam's a lovely man and a great artist; trust me, he hasn't missed any calling - his art has made him plenty of money. :) As something of an artist myself, I know how he achieves that photorealistic look, but they are still very impressive and very lovely to see. A lot of feeling goes into them.

Sam was a real, true friend to Amy and her family for a long time. I'm gutted I can't get to JAD for Mitch's show. I haven't caught up with him in time. He's a really lovely guy, though, and if you are ever in Soho, do pop along to say hi and have a drink - he will be more than happy to welcome you :)

#11 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

As for prints..... this site has a few of the originals and offers prints also:

http://www.saatchionline.com/samshaker

Up to you if you are happy to line Saatchi's pockets or not... ;)

This site also has a few

http://fineartameric...sam-shaker.html

#12 CHCHANEL

CHCHANEL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

Sam was a real, true friend to Amy and her family for a long time. I'm gutted I can't get to JAD for Mitch's show. I haven't caught up with him in time. He's a really lovely guy, though, and if you are ever in Soho, do pop along to say hi and have a drink - he will be more than happy to welcome you :)

I will definately go there in December, I'm taking my mom there to have dinner & drinks. I'm pretty sure I will fall in love with the place.
I'm sorry you won't make it for Mitch's show.. Maybe you will have another opportunity to go!

And I'm so happy for you that you have one of the paintings in your posession! You deserve it! :)

Posted Image

#13 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

As for prints..... this site has a few of the originals and offers prints also:

http://www.saatchionline.com/samshaker

Up to you if you are happy to line Saatchi's pockets or not... ;)

This site also has a few

http://fineartameric...sam-shaker.html

Thanks for those links. The prints are quite affordable...

#14 YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

I knew you were good, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

omg. i wouldnt mind paying for some of his paintings.... amazing!

#15 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

I will definately go there in December, I'm taking my mom there to have dinner & drinks. I'm pretty sure I will fall in love with the place.
I'm sorry you won't make it for Mitch's show.. Maybe you will have another opportunity to go!

And I'm so happy for you that you have one of the paintings in your posession! You deserve it! :)

Thank you. I needed to hear that today <3

I'll get back to see him when I have the cash. Right now I have to focus on Xmas and stuff. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users