25 replies to this topic

#1 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hello everyone. I'm a new member and a new fan of Amy Winehouse. Unfortunately, I did not follow Amy when she was alive. I think I heard "Rehab" once or twice but otherwise was not familiar with her work. After she died I went online to check out her songs and was blown away. I've been around a while and she is unlike anyone I've ever heard before. I'm really interested in some of her lesser known songs; two in particular: "Long Day" and "Fool's Gold". These are two gems that are hardly mentioned in my research on Amy. I would like to know more about these two songs (reviews, comments) and why they aren't better known. I was deeply moved when I first heard Long Day. Amy was only 17 when she wrote it and I think it was on a demo that Tyler James sent to Island Records. It was not in either of her albums and was released as a single only in 2009. Any information anyone has on either of these two songs would be greatly appreciated.

SteveV

#2 Sir' Taurean

Sir' Taurean

Mr. Magic!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:21 AM

Fool's Gold was released on the Sex and The City soundtrack along with the Frank (Deluxe Edition). That is all I really know about that track.

SIGNATURE REMOVED. PLEASE MAKE SURE SIGNATURE DOES NOT EXCEED 500x200 PIXELS.

#3 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

Fool's Gold was released on the Sex and The City soundtrack along with the Frank (Deluxe Edition). That is all I really know about that track.

Thanks Sir' Taurean. Any info is helpful. I've been listening to her work for the past two months and it seems that if you only know Amy by her better known songs (Rehab, Back to Black, etc) you get an incomplete understanding of her immense talent, as good as these songs are. My own tastes run to classical, jazz, hard rock, soul, blues and Latin. I've been consistently amazed at how Amy could cross over genres so well. I love Aretha Franklin, but her music is strictly soul. I've never heard another "pop" artist attempt such a difficult jazz piece as "'Round Midnight" or write and perform such great jazz-soul crossover like "Fool's Gold". Some, like Tony Bennett, have called her a genius. I agree. It's such a shame she is no longer with us. What great songs were yet to come?

When I first heard her song "Long Day" I felt her presence. At first, you think there's something wrong with the recording, then her clear beautiful silky voice breaks through. I was hooked.

#4 Gus×Wino

Gus×Wino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

'Long Day' wasn't released as a single in 2009. It's just an unreleased track that Amy recorded.

Edited by GusFromGreece, 25 September 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#5 prettymaryk

prettymaryk

distractionless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

I was deeply moved when I first heard Long Day. Amy was only 17 when she wrote it and I think it was on a demo that Tyler James sent to Island Records. It was not in either of her albums and was released as a single only in 2009.

Like GusFromGreece said, it was never released as a single - it's just unreleased. The version online probably just leaked from somewhere.

It was co-written with Mick Lister - here's what he writes about it on his myspace page (this post is from September 2007)

"Now this song is a little favourite of mine called "Long Day", tis only a simple demo with the now famous Amy Winehouse of which we co wrote this tune together. Amy was only 17 then and was being developed by 19 management and this song was written on the infamous day of 9/11.I recall everyone loving it except for dear Amy who thought it was too "pop" for her. Then it was almost covered by Macy Gray to be finally covered by Tyler James who was dropped before even opening his mouth to sing??!! So this little song has a bit of history and thought it only right that you can now listen to it for yourselves,
Hope you like it,
Mick."

I don't know what "co-written" really means in this case but I have a feeling that, as usual, she wrote the lyrics and he wrote the melody (which really is very "pop").

As for Fool's Gold, I haven't found anything about it except that it was recorded during the Frank sessions.

#6 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Long Day is one of my favourite Amy songs, it is unusually 'mellow' for her, but a very nice view inside young Amy's mind. I just wish we had a better quality recording. So Tyler covered it? What about Procrastination? Wasn't that one the other way round, it was his song that she covered? It's also a great track. Not a fan of Fool's Gold though... I also only know it was on that SATC soundtrack, and it might explain why I don't like it. It's perfect for that kind of a film, a bit cheesy and dull.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#7 prettymaryk

prettymaryk

distractionless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Procrastination is one of my absolute favourite songs. I'm sure she wrote it, or at least that they co-wrote it. I think her version was first; he changed some of the words, and she wouldn't have done that - in her version, it's "my place is a mess, I try on some shoes" and his version is "my place is a mess and I'm feeling blue". And "eyes linger on Frank (and I must put that cheque in the bank)" is definitely about her. Love it.

#8 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thanks. I never listened to his version, I'm sure hers is better anyway LOL It's a shame she hadn't recorded an album before Frank, she probably had some great material judging by those two. Just stuff focusing on thoughts on herself, and not relationships... It would have still been interesting, she was a such a talented lyricist, could have made anything sound beautiful.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#9 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

she was the soulful singer of our generation. When you hear her voice you get hooked . Her magic imprints on your mind .You never forget her music . Thats why people will still listen to her 20 to 30 years from now. Enjoy her music ^^ youll never forget her special talent.
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#10 Mutterkorn1

Mutterkorn1

Hippiezwerg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

:heart: WORD
:heart:Posted Image

#11 Mutterkorn1

Mutterkorn1

Hippiezwerg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have a question ...is here a Photothread from the members ?

#12 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

^

http://www.amywineho...hread.php?t=453

#13 Mutterkorn1

Mutterkorn1

Hippiezwerg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Oh , i startet a new one .. sorry !!!

#14 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Many thanks to all those responding. Please continue to post if you wish. Could someone please tell me how to thank people for their posts?

Obviously, I had the wrong info on the "release" of "Long Day". It was misinformation I found somewhere on the internet. That's why I'm grateful for this forum. I'm so glad to be among people who love this wonderful woman, I only regret I didn't find Amy when she was alive. I would have asked her to sing "When Sunny Gets Blue", a beautifully melodic ballad that's been done by some great singers of the past.

Edited by SteveV, 25 September 2011 - 11:20 PM.

#15 Mutterkorn1

Mutterkorn1

Hippiezwerg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

Of course dear Steve

look here ..its right under our postings
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

then click on the Thumpup -smile :)