27 replies to this topic

#16 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

EVERYONE I know encouraged me to go to Brazil. My hesitation was the language barrier, not knowing anyone there & the logistics of finding my way around.

A friend in Italy asked me to join her at the Lucca concert in July. By the time I made the decision to purchase tickets, the flight costs had doubled.

I thought well, wait until she's done with the European tour, surely she'll book some dates in the UK & I'll DEFINITELY go then.

At least I KNEW I was having dinner with Mitch on 23 July in NY, then seeing HIS show @ the Blue Note.

#17 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

I saw her live in November 2007 at Hammersmith, London. It was not a great concert -- she arrived very late, walked off the stage in the middle of the last song without saying goodbye, and didn't talk to the audience much at all. You could tell she did not really want to be there. I was actually kind of shocked -- never been to a concert like that before -- but I knew she was not well, and did not love her any less because of it. I was still glad I saw her, though I was a ways back. My feet got so tired of standing for hours! And I just barely got the last tube train back to my hotel because the concert didn't start until around 10:30PM, and I was packed into the train like a sardine with all the other Amy fans. It was a bit of an adventure.

Apparently her concert the night before at Brixton was better. I thought about going there and trying to buy a ticket from a scalper, but I wasn't sure how safe Brixton was or if I could get a ticket, plus I was still jet-lagged, having arrived in London that morning.

I also heard her voice once when I was outside her Prowse Place flat. She was in the garage playing pool. You could hear the pool balls being hit. That was kind of neat.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#18 Byron

Byron

I do a 180

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Fortunatley I am very lucky to say that I did get a chance to see her in concert 9 times during 2007 - Only one of those shows being "not so good" and that was the Hammersmith show.
All the other times I saw her she was amazing - the best shows being the Itunes festival on 25th July 2007, there was only about 300 of us there and she knocked us all out...cold! One of my other faves is the Brixton 22nd November 2007 show, there are some videos of it on youtube...check out Back to Black, the night was amazing, she was late and all that but her voice was there, and it was almost like she was showing off for everyone, the following Brixton gig was great to....I think Sarahbol posted one of her fantasic detailed reviews of the night, along with the gig in Brussles on 30th October 2007.
I swear down that not a day goes by where I recall these events, and also meeting Amy in 2008 and think to myself how lucky I was...these things will be stories ill be telling people for years and years.
My mum was lucky enough to meet the great late Hendrix back in the 60's - although she wasnt fan, and never made a great point of meeting him, its an amazing story that people I tell dont really beleive me..so I dont really mention it.
Sorry for the spelling mistakes if there are any, at work and rushing............x
Once is enough to make me attack!

#19 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

Wow, thanks for that Byron - you are so so lucky. yeou are right, it is the most precious thing that you will have with you forever!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

Lucky you :P

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#21 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

wow, Dave....the Prowse Place 'private concert' story is great. something you'll never forget for sure! oh, how lucky you were and I know u know that.

Byron, I remember reading your amazing story on meeting her and I couldn't read it fast enough. how incredible.

If you ever have time, I'd love to hear your story on your mom's chance meeting w/Hendrix. how awesome is that!

Edited by tunisianswife, 10 November 2011 - 07:52 PM.

:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#22 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

All you guys that got the chance to see her perform are lucky as hell. Whether or not the performance may or may not have been what you expected, at least you got to see a big icon like her perform their music.

I wish I got to see her or followed her more before she passed :(

#23 Byron

Byron

I do a 180

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

wow, Dave....the Prowse Place 'private concert' story is great. something you'll never forget for sure! oh, how lucky you were and I know u know that.

Byron, I remember reading your amazing story on meeting her and I couldn't read it fast enough. how incredible.

If you ever have time, I'd love to hear your story on your mom's chance meeting w/Hendrix. how awesome is that!

Thanks.
Ok, this is back in 1967 April/May - He came and played in Aldershot, this is a town where I still live and my mum was a teenager then, I think she may have been dating my dad, as he was posted to Aldershot in the army - Aldershot is an army town.
There was a cafe place where people used to hang out and Jimi was there, and my mum was there with her friends. He ended up sitting in from of her diagonal. My mum cant remember every really saying anything to him and can just remember him being really really quiet, strange quiet. She never mentioned a major fuss going on around Aldershot, but at that time a few legendary acts had their time in Aldershot, Gene Pitney and I beleive the Beatles played thier first ever live gig there in the Queens pub. Gotta go, lunch break overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr x

#24 gpozzo

gpozzo

I swear I'm gonna love you until eternity...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Fortunatley I am very lucky to say that I did get a chance to see her in concert 9 times during 2007 - Only one of those shows being "not so good" and that was the Hammersmith show.
All the other times I saw her she was amazing - the best shows being the Itunes festival on 25th July 2007, there was only about 300 of us there and she knocked us all out...cold! One of my other faves is the Brixton 22nd November 2007 show, there are some videos of it on youtube...check out Back to Black, the night was amazing, she was late and all that but her voice was there, and it was almost like she was showing off for everyone, the following Brixton gig was great to....I think Sarahbol posted one of her fantasic detailed reviews of the night, along with the gig in Brussles on 30th October 2007.
I swear down that not a day goes by where I recall these events, and also meeting Amy in 2008 and think to myself how lucky I was...these things will be stories ill be telling people for years and years.
My mum was lucky enough to meet the great late Hendrix back in the 60's - although she wasnt fan, and never made a great point of meeting him, its an amazing story that people I tell dont really beleive me..so I dont really mention it.
Sorry for the spelling mistakes if there are any, at work and rushing............x

WOW! You're sooooooo lucky!

I'd love to see Amy performing in 2007. She was amazing here in Brazil in 2011 and all, but she was still recovering after 2 years away from the stage...and in 2007 she was at her best. When/where did you see her?

1. iTunes Festival (July 2007)
2. Hammersmith Apollo (November 2007)
3. Brixton Academy (November 2007)
4. Ancienne Belgique in Brussels (October 2007)

Where else? :D

And I'll have to inbox you to know more about that, may I? :D You're one of Amy's luckiest fans.

Did you use to take pictures or record videos? :)

"Cuz I miss your ginger hair and the way you liked to dress."

My YouTube Channel

#25 Byron

Byron

I do a 180

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

WOW! You're sooooooo lucky!

I'd love to see Amy performing in 2007. She was amazing here in Brazil in 2011 and all, but she was still recovering after 2 years away from the stage...and in 2007 she was at her best. When/where did you see her?

1. iTunes Festival (July 2007)
2. Hammersmith Apollo (November 2007)
3. Brixton Academy (November 2007)
4. Ancienne Belgique in Brussels (October 2007)

Where else? :D

And I'll have to inbox you to know more about that, may I? :D You're one of Amy's luckiest fans.

Did you use to take pictures or record videos? :)

Hi, yeah email me, no worries.
Ive been meaning to write down everything about the concerts and meeting her in great detail, just so I can read it back in years to come as things become a blur and I might forget some little moments.

1.I went to GAY in FEB 2007 - she left after B2B as she puked
2. back to gay in April 2007
3. Shepherds bush may 28th
4. Sherpherd bush May 29th
5. Somerset house 20th July
6.Itunes festival 25th July
7.Belguim - October 30th 2007
8.Brixton 22nd Nov 2007
9.Brixton 23rd Nov 2007
9 Hammersmith 24th Nov 2001

I remember going to the Brixton venue back in 2004 as I was about in London, but never met her and never managed to get a ticket.

#26 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

Byron, you lucky boy. What memories you must have <3 x

#27 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

:D You're one of Amy's luckiest fans.

indeed ;-)

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#28 Byron

Byron

I do a 180

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

indeed ;-)

and not a day goes by that I dont think of that, and appreciate it so much.
When I was waiting for Amy to come downstairs Dionnes mum was "you dont know how lucky you are" - I was like "oh I do (not in a bad way" and she was like "Oh no......you really dont"
With regards to that, she couldnt be more correct.

Im also a record collector and have been collecting Amy - I have loads of stuff and was thinking of maybe photoing it all and listing on here on a thread for collectors or someting like that, it would take me ages, and I find uploading and most computer things a real real chore!!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Thanks everyone for kinds words xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users