189 replies to this topic

#166 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Just what I was thinking Liv, "Outstanding Contribution" awarded to artists for their contribution and who have reached legendary status, "and the award goes to Blur???" sorry but Amy paved the way for so many female artists including Adele.

Stop.
You might not like their music, but saying Blur made no contribution to British music and music in general is just plain ridiculous. Really no need to bash them.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#167 paulh202

paulh202

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

Stop.
You might not like their music, but saying Blur made no contribution to British music and music in general is just plain ridiculous. Really no need to bash them.

I aint bashin anyone!, and I didn't say Blur didnt make any contribution to British music either! this was a chance to give Amy the credit she deserved as sadly she's not with us anymore, she also had a big influence on the Artist that just won 6 grammys, credit where its due!

#168 AmyJWinehousefan

AmyJWinehousefan

Amy Amy Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I aint bashin anyone!, and I didn't say Blur didnt make any contribution to British music either! this was a chance to give Amy the credit she deserved as sadly she's not with us anymore, she also had a big influence on the Artist that just won 6 grammys, credit where its due!

I agree with paulh202

#169 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I actually really loved the tribute that Amy herself narrated. I think that was clever and really beautiful, actually. It may not have been a huge production but it was very touching.

#170 Jaede~

Jaede~

Fanks Daaaarling~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I guess MTV did the best tribute out of the BRITS and Grammys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#171 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

I guess MTV did the best tribute out of the BRITS and Grammys.

I'd have to agree. I'm not even a Bruno Mars fan, but I liked his version of Valerie.

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

#172 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

[MENTION=2197]paulh202[/MENTION] I agree they should have given her some proper credit, but I don't think she would ever get that sort of credit. Plus they usually give those awards to bands with large longetivity afaik. She had too short and controversial of a career for anyone to acknowledge her in such a large way at the moment. I don't think she'll get the recognition she deserves in a long time. I mean, I don't see a lot of bands who are around at the moment and are being praised as much as any of the old-school stuff/dead rock stars and this is exactly what will happen with Amy imo. When people look back on the 00s, she'll stand out and people will realize how great she was. Right now, she's too trendy and popular for a lot of people to look at her talents objectively. Just my opinion.
The Brits can go fuck themselves anyway.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#173 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

..., she also had a big influence on the Artist that just won 6 grammys, credit where its due!

Not only is/was a big influence on the current artists, she left behind a catalog of composed songs that will be played by current artists and future artists to come. Her not getting a mention for this accomplishment on any of these damn awards show is what pisses me off the most.
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#174 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Just what I was thinking Liv, "Outstanding Contribution" awarded to artists for their contribution and who have reached legendary status, "and the award goes to Blur???" sorry but Amy paved the way for so many female artists including Adele.
From Wiki:
In February 2010 rapper Jay-Z credited Winehouse with revitalising British music, saying, "There's a strong push coming out of London right now, which is great. It's been coming ever since I guess Amy (Winehouse). I mean always, but I think Amy, this resurgence was ushered in by Amy."[93] In March 2011 the New York Daily News ran an article attributing the continuing wave of British female artists that have been successful in the United States to Winehouse and her absence. Spin magazine music editor Charles Aaron was quoted as saying "Amy Winehouse was the Nirvana moment for all these women,"
If that doesn't deserve the "Outstanding Contibution Award"??? This was their chance to give her a fitting tribute,never had much faith in these award shows anyway. Shame on you "Brits 2012"

Stop.

Paul, thanks for the Wiki quotations about Amy, the 2012 Brit Awards clearly didn't give her a fitting tribute, and she definitely would deserve the "Outstanding contribution" award , but I completely agree with Elsie. Whether you like them or not, I don't think you can say Blur didn't make an outstanding contribution to British music, and music in general in the 1990's (and I'm not even a fan, just a casual listener).

Edit: misunderstood your post, sorry :-$... Thought you were questioning Blur's legitimacy to get that award. Let's hope Amy will get it in the years to come, but I'm afraid what Elsie wrote in her latest post might be true...

Edited by Nasha, 22 February 2012 - 12:41 AM.

"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#175 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Better quality:

Upset..crying.. :S

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#176 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Fair comment about James Corden.... I take that back. I still think his presenting sucks. That's a separate issue though.

Blur deserved the Lifetime Achievement for sure - they were a big part of the music of my youth and Britpop had a huge influence on modern music and still does. Like [MENTION=2064]Elsie[/MENTION] said, that award does usually go to someone with longevity in the business....sadly we will probably never see Amy get one for that reason.

Not sure what to make of Mitch's tweet.

I've calmed down now, lol.... was a tense evening waiting for the tribute etc and reading Twitter feeds about various Brits related stuff etc. Took me a valium. I'm all fluffy and positive again now ;)

#177 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

"thanks for your messages of love for Amy and our family. I thought the tribute was beautiful and sincere. Mitch."

2r4h89d.gif

#178 Liv

Liv

I might let you make it up to me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

"thanks for your messages of love for Amy and our family. I thought the tribute was beautiful and sincere. Mitch."

i just watched the rerun on much. i agree with mitch. and i finally saw him and janis sitting next to jessie j! lol

#179 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

I know the tribute was shorter than expected. But can we please appreciate it just a little? Wasn't it beautiful having Amy speak out her own tribute, far better than another celebrity could have? I thought it was touching, loved seeing the photos with Alex at childhood

#180 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

Well, now everybody knows that Mitch liked it at least. :) That's good.

2r4h89d.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users