#1 StephanieL13

StephanieL13

I told you, I was trouble....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi Everyone...

This is going to be a dumb question, as most/all of Amy's songs are about being in a great deal of love.

However, I think you all may agree, most of her songs are in fact about love on the rocks, unrequited love, and break ups...

I'm wondering if everyone could put their heads together and perhaps suggest some "happy" love songs... I know there are a few obvious, Lullabye of Birdland etc. But just out of curiousity.

I dedicated and danced with my husband to "To know him is to love him" at our wedding, but even in that song she says "why can't you see..." it seems to me there aren't too many truly "happy" ones.

This is no way means I don't LIVE for her other songs! Just curious as I said. I know Amy would hateeeee this question! :heart:

Lovebird, my beautiful bird.
Sung until one day she couldn't be heard.
Amy was the morning, now she's gone
She's reborn like Sarah Vaughn
In the sanctuary, she has found, birds surround
her sweet sound
And Amy flies in Paradise...
And Amy flies in Paradise

#2 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I think Amy was extremely honest about love and always recognized its imperfections, which is why she never wrote songs that are purely mushy love songs, though Between the Cheats seems very happy (except for the fact that it repeats Between the Cheats all the time lol). Brother is about the unconditional love for a brother. I think perhaps her most happy love song is her duet with Tyler James, Best For Me. Its a beautiful song, honestly.

#3 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

It's a cover ...
There Is No Greater Love
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#4 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

it seems to me there aren't too many truly "happy" ones.

Thank God for that! Happy love song triggers romantic comedy in my brain for some reason. They both make me want to swan dive off of a tall structure. Although, I think the Carpenters could deliver the goods on this.

#5 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think perhaps her most happy love song is her duet with Tyler James, Best For Me. Its a beautiful song, honestly.

That songs is about realizing you lost someone you love, no?

To know him is to love him, the alternate version; Close to the front is more lusty.. Someone to watch over me,I guess you could give it a different meaning if you dedicate it to someone. Our day will come has a positive message, I sent it to someone who I love and is far far away :eagerness:

Defintiely Body and soul.

#6 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

That songs is about realizing you lost someone you love, no?
Defintiely Body and soul.

Agreed With B&S!

But yes, that is what the song is about, but it seems very happy "You saw the best in my when i was blind".

#7 Amanda

Amanda

Love is blind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thank God for that! Happy love song triggers romantic comedy in my brain for some reason. They both make me want to swan dive off of a tall structure. Although, I think the Carpenters could deliver the goods on this.

The Carpenters have been one of my favs since I was very small.. My dad always had them playing in the background and they just stuck, On Amy singing happy songs, to me they just don't go hand in hand, would have loved to have heard her write/sing a few, but no other artist I can remember can portray pain and heartbreak the way Amy could..
Posted Image

#8 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

The Carpenters make me want to stick my hands in the shredder so my screams drown out the niceness. :D

Sickening, fluffy, what the French call 'fade'. That kind of insipid, flavourless 'love' doesn't exist in real life. Honestly, 'nice' songs go through my head like a chainsaw... lol. I'm such a misery!

Sorry, Amanda!

#9 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

One of my fav bands has always been Steely Dan because they are bad ass but also cynical, wise asses that never did love songs.
In Cousin Dupree, he see's, after being away for years on the road that his little Cousin Dupree has grown into a hot chick and he now wants to get in her pants and says,'So what's wrong with a little down home family romance?'
Maybe I'm jaded...of course I am.

#10 Beehive

Beehive

Think love and wear a smile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, Our Day Will Come and Moody's Mood For Love are happy love songs, I guess :]

#11 northernsky

northernsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Some songwriters fall very much in the "Why on earth would I want to write when I'm happy?" mode, and the cathartic nature of Amy's lyrics would echo this way of working. It's only blood from broken hearts that write the words to every song.

Edited by northernsky, 02 March 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#12 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

For the moment I really appreciet "Wake up Alone"..but I have also others songs that I listen too ..of course ^^

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 northernsky

northernsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

The Carpenters make me want to stick my hands in the shredder so my screams drown out the niceness. :D

I was going to mention "Superstar" being a really great melancholic one of theirs, but I don't think either of them wrote that, did they? Still at least shows The Carps could Do Sadness.

#14 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think the pain tangible in Amy's songs, particularly in B2B, is one of the main reasons why it's so hard to like Blake...she exposed all the pain he put her through (including some of the pain she put him through - for example You Know I'm No Good) making it impossible to have any sympathy for him. But they must've had some great times together also, at least before the drugs, before the album...I guess those happy moments weren't worth writing about.

#15 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

I was going to mention "Superstar" being a really great melancholic one of theirs, but I don't think either of them wrote that, did they? Still at least shows The Carps could Do Sadness.

http://en.wikipedia....nd_Bonnie_song)

I like this version, myself:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users