• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

I was reading this article from Pamela Stephenson about fame, and how celebrities deal with it, and I couldn't help but think about Amy...

http://www.dailymail...bad-health.html

I think one of the main differences we see in Amy between the first and second album isn't just Blake, the drink, or the drugs...there's also fame, which I believe was a huge factor in her demise.
Indeed, Amy was already a big drinker way before that, and a right caner. But all of a sudden, with B2B, and with increased media attention because of her drinking, Amy was all over the newspapers, on the radio (God, you couldn't turn it on without hearing Rehab!) and she was gaining critical acclaim for her music...but I don't think she ever felt she deserved it all.

Fame must have hit Amy hard. She was very young lets not forget...I'm not sure she handled it very well.

In one of Blake's interviews where he talks about how Amy started hitting the hard drugs, he mentions that it was towards the end of 2006 when she started getting very famous. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Also, her friend Tyler James just recently said in an interview that things started getting f**ked up for his and Amy's group of friends when she became famous, and how he even ended up with a bad drinking problem himself...

What do you guys think?

#2 AmyJWinehousefan

AmyJWinehousefan

Amy Amy Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I was a bit hesitant to reply to this thread, but everyone is entitled to their opinions, right?
I honestly do not think that Amy handled fame well. She seemed to have been a very sensitive person and I don't think she could deal with all of the pressure. Amy had borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder. She did not need paparazzi standing at her doorstep at all hours! Like you said, [MENTION=2686]Mrs. Jones[/MENTION] she was all over the newspaper and on the radio. Truthfully, I don't think that she was prepared for all of the attention, whether it was positive or negative! I cannot even imagine all of the stress that was put on her shoulders. I am not blaming Blake completely for Amy's downfall, but his image and drug abuse made it all the worse.

#3 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

I agree with both of you!!Just look at the videos of paparazzi and you can see that she really gives her nerves on..
I think she didn't know how to deal with the "fame" think

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

One I wish I never played...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Totally agree. Few stars are able to support this weight and Amy didn't make an exception. But I think she did the best possible. She was very nice with the paparazzi (usually), journalists etc.. Amy didn't want to be this huge superstar, I think. She wanted to sing and that's it. She loved to sing but it's clear that for promote albums, interviews and everything that comes with fame, she didn't want and was not ready to do so.

As [MENTION=2686]Mrs. Jones[/MENTION] said, I don't think that Amy thought she deserved all the attention she had. I remember an interview in which she was asked if she thought she had reinvent the music in a way, and she immediately said no. I think she saw herself as a person so ''normal'' (you know what I mean) that she couldn't manage as many people in her life, as many admirers, as many restrictions (such as having to stay quiet more than most people on her private life, or even walk down the street with bodyguards.)

In short, no. I don't think Amy has properly manage her celebrity, but I think it's normal. Personally, I couldn't do it either.

I fall in love everyday !
Not with people, but with situations...

Posted Image

#5 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

Amy became more and more on a recluse in 2008. Her life and her health had spiraled out of control. I believe fame is one of the things that did her in. However, I also think that by 2010-2011, it wasn't that anymore. She was physically and, seemingly, emotionally getting better and better, but she still had a drinking problem, which I believe had just become habitual. I think there was probably a point where it wasn't her depression or anxiety anymore, but her body's physical dependency to the drug.

I do think that she really enjoyed what she did, even with "Back to Black." It is most evident in her 2006 performances. She was alert, she sang with great energy and intensity, and was always bright as a bell in interviews. This seemed to be the case in 2007, too, although her personal life became more turbulent. 2008 is when everything seemed to take over, and as she lost more and more weight, and when her husband became incarcerated, things just became too much for poor Amy. During "Rock in Rio," she appeared through her own will even though she was ill, but her "Bestival" appearance was beyond alarming. It seems the more attention she got, the worse off she became, and vise-versa.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#6 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

i just want to clarify some dates. she started getting papped a little bit more towards the end of 2006 and into 2007 but she was still accessible.

i remember going to a red carpet event in camden in december 2006 and she wasnt attending - she just walked by with her friend/assistant wearing her tight jeans, leather jacket and that green handbag of hers. none of paps saw her or if they did they didnt care - she just walked past. looking back i am gutted that i didnt go and talk to her - i didnt know much about her then.

it was only during that horrible bust up in august 2007 when her and blake got papped all bloody outside that london hotel that things went mental - pap wise.
then no one could get near her and thats when things went way out of control.

2008 - was a horrible year and 2009 that was st lucia i think?

it was only in 2010 when she took that injunction out on that press agency where certain paps couldnt follow her and also the paps has moved on they were following katie price - only then could people get near her again.

that was my final meet with her in august 2010 in the mixer pub - not one pap insight - just sitting outside in a car. but it was lovely and calm and it was a decent meet.

to which i will always be thankful.

#7 masterac

masterac

Affected . . .

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

One thing that I always notice watching all of the interviews over the span of Amy's career is that she mentions a lot how she "never wanted to be famous."

A lot of celebrities say this because it sounds cool, and they don't really mean it. Actually, I'm not sure I necessarily believed Amy when she said it, not 100% at least. It reminds me of Kurt Cobain. In interviews and notes from his journals and friends, it's always very apparent that he was uneasy with fame.

I think brilliant artists like Kurt and Amy and Jimi Hendrix grow into this world of creating beautiful, ingenious things. And at some point, they start working really hard to acheive some sort of end goal (which in theory would be fame, or having everyone know their music or art). And they keep on working towards this goal, not knowing exactly what it is or what it will mean for their lives. Then when they do acheive it, it's never what they thought it would be, and I can imagine it's very hard to deal with, especially being as sensitive as they are.

I'm sure a lot of Amy fans here on this board consider themselves artists of some type. We probably all have dreams of playing major concerts or doing interviews on TV. And even though we might not admit it (even to ourselves), if given the opportunity, 99% of us would jump at the chance to become a famous musician. And then we might find ourselves in the same position as Amy, struggling to deal with the paps, having to explain pictures and rumers to family, having to deal with complete strangers telling us they love us, and all the other crazy things she had to deal with.

#8 AvaInBirdland

AvaInBirdland

Long live the Lioness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

that was my final meet with her in august 2010 in the mixer pub - not one pap insight - just sitting outside in a car. but it was lovely and calm and it was a decent meet.

to which i will always be thankful.

Just wondering if you have ever written on the forum about the night you met Amy? I would love to read about it if you have! Sorry if this is insensitive or it's something you don't wish to discuss.

#9 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Can anyone give me the name of someone who handled fame well?

I don't think anyone knows how to handle fame. It's something that sneaks upon you from behind, then grabs you, and then it starts to change you. I don't really see where the 'this person handled fame the right or bad way' milestone is hidden.

Edited by Katausa, 24 April 2012 - 07:24 AM.

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#10 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Just wondering if you have ever written on the forum about the night you met Amy? I would love to read about it if you have! Sorry if this is insensitive or it's something you don't wish to discuss.

i have met amy about 6 or 7 times to talk to and in the early days before i knew her i saw her out and about or playing pool about 5 or 6 times.

i think that i have wrote about it before on here - it is in previous posts.

i dont mention it all the time - or try not to - as people can get funny about it and it makes me no bigger fan then people who havent met her.

if there is anything that you want to ask - just ask!

all i say - which i have said a hundred times before - amy was good to her fans.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Can anyone give me the name of someone who handled fame well?

I don't think anyone knows how to handle fame. It's something that sneaks upon you from behind, then grabs you, and then it starts to change you. I don't really see where the 'this person handled fame the right or bad way' milestone is hidden.

madonna. but she is a control freak robot!

#11 AvaInBirdland

AvaInBirdland

Long live the Lioness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

[quote name='julieannboo']

all i say - which i have said a hundred times before - amy was good to her fans.

Would it be ok if I PM you to discuss? I would like to know anything and everything about your meetings and about Amy LOL

#12 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

[quote name='AvaInBirdland'][quote name='julieannboo']

Would it be ok if I PM you to discuss? I would like to know anything and everything about your meetings and about Amy LOL[/QUOTE]

no problem - you can either pm me or ask me on here. there is nothing to hide.

#13 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

haha, that made me giggle. And it's true too.

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#14 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

haha, that made me giggle. And it's true too.

you know it!

#15 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

One I wish I never played...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hahaha !! It's true. In fact, I think some celebrities (minority) have managed to live with fame. Most of them, however, have started in the music industry as an adult. Amy was very young, perhaps too much. I noticed that almost all, of course there are exceptions, but almost every star who started young person or child, have struggled to get by.

Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus. I don't know about you, but I'm totally against child stars. This is not an element in which you can grow healthy. A 15 year old who is known around the world, which was the home school or correspondence that has never had a stable life, too busy traveling for concerts and in addition have millions of dollars in bank, it's clear (and normal) that is too much to endure.

I fall in love everyday !
Not with people, but with situations...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users