34 replies to this topic

#16 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location🇺🇦 Ukraine 🇺🇦

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Anyone can treat Belgrade concert as he/she wish. We can even find it *curious*.

Just as well we can treat as curios video where we can see murdering of a pet or a video where we can see observe a life of mutilated people in the concentration camp. Very curious - I can't argue with it.

While she was alive the most of us was aware of what's going on with Ms. Amy Winehouse. A lot of people even live in London, right? And what? Did anybody tried to do anything to help her? I don't blame anybody, but at least let's just be silent about it.

V.Melnyk

#17 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thank you Keight for the transcript. Is this full?

As painful as they are I watched Belgrad videos just recently searching for some clues but it doesn't help really to find out what happened.

PS Who's Dale Amy refers to?
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#18 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

PS Who's Dale Amy refers to?

Dale Davis probably?
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#19 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Yes I meant it as in curious, not as in humourous. I get that it was her worst concert, I said that in the original post. However, personally, while it is really sad, I don't think it was as bad as I was originally led to believe, I'm not trying to defend Amy or lift up her performance or anything, but I thought that Back to Black, Valerie and Love is a losing game were sang o.k,of course the most disturbing part of the videos for me was seeing Amy hugging herself and being on the brink of crying at points. I never wanted to watch the videos, like when news of Belgrade was on the internet/tv, I saw those pictures and videos and I couldn't bare to watch them and like I said this is actually my first time watching the concert or what is available of it on youtube and I honestly just feel that it wasn't that bad, I'm not even close to saying it was good, but I don't think it was that bad.

Obviously one of the most annoying factors in the video is why didn't anyone get her off the stage, It's confusing because didn't Mitch say that she had massive stage fright that night, so she was allowed alcohol in that instance? Which wasn't a clever idea considering she was an alcoholic, what did they expect? Wasn't there supposed to be a load of minders specifically hired by her management to see that there was no alcohol? Confusing.

Anyway I don't mean to start a debate I was just saying that in my opinion, the scale of disaster with this concert was a little bit exaggerated x

I think what makes this a terrible concert (and it's no exageration) is not so much whether Amy can remember the words (she often doesn't and wants Zalon to chime in) or whether she can hit the notes (there was a LOT of off-key singing for such a talented girl)...it's the fact that a human being was having an emotional breakdown in front of everyone.
To be honest I don't really care if she did OK with parts of her performance, I find that irrelevant. It's less about the quality of the show and more about the tragedy that was unfolding: Amy's addiction was clearly on show. She wasn't funny drunk, or entertaining drunk, she was ugly drunk. It was painful to watch, particularly because everyone else (band mates) are acting like there isn't a problem. Were they used to seeing Amy in this state? Anyway, I know you don't mean to start a debate, but that concert is still quite raw for many of us, so it's only natural that it sparks up so many reactions.

Thanks for the transcript. Some of it I hadn't actually heard/understood.
I've watched Belgrade videos quite a lot to try and understand what was going on. Sometimes I think she was just trying to start a bit of banter to deal with her nerves, but sometimes it sounds like she's completely unaware that there are people there to listen to her sing. Sometimes it just sounds like jibberish, like what the fuck was she going on about being shot?
I'd love to know what Zalon whispered in her ears, or what she said to him. I hope he comes out one day and discusses it, because as a fan I feel that I need answers. But maybe I should learn to let that poor girl rest in peace, because she already gave us so much.
Ugh! Belgrade!!! Sometimes I feel that's where Amy died...

#20 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

One I wish I never played...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think what makes this a terrible concert (and it's no exageration) is not so much whether Amy can remember the words (she often doesn't and wants Zalon to chime in) or whether she can hit the notes (there was a LOT of off-key singing for such a talented girl)...it's the fact that a human being was having an emotional breakdown in front of everyone.
To be honest I don't really care if she did OK with parts of her performance, I find that irrelevant. It's less about the quality of the show and more about the tragedy that was unfolding: Amy's addiction was clearly on show. She wasn't funny drunk, or entertaining drunk, she was ugly drunk. It was painful to watch, particularly because everyone else (band mates) are acting like there isn't a problem. Were they used to seeing Amy in this state? Anyway, I know you don't mean to start a debate, but that concert is still quite raw for many of us, so it's only natural that it sparks up so many reactions.

Ugh! Belgrade!!! Sometimes I feel that's where Amy died...

The last sentence is very well said. I also have this impression. As if Belgrade was the beginning of the countdown and that from that specific date, the days of our idol were numbered. For the rest, you've take the words out of my mouth but there is one point I would like to develop.

I have long blamed the musicians because they did nothing (and I know this is not what you did in your post) but one day I realized the issue. I don'tt know if Zalon & company saw Amy in this state before she goes on stage or if it was a total surprise at the beginning of the gig, but assuming that this is the case, I think they just panicked .

There were many questions that needed to cross their mind. Would they risked their jobs if they had intervened? What about Amy ? Because believing Mitch and his book, Amy wanted to be on stage. (In fact this is the only part in the book where I doubted the sincerity of Mitch - maybe he didn't want to be seen as a bad father - because I doubt that Amy really wanted to do this show ) But if this is really the case, not only Amy would have been more humiliated by struggling to stay onstage, but her musicians too. And of course, there are unfortunately the money questions. Musicians had perhaps not the courage to make the decision to leave the scene with Amy because a lot of money would have been lost. (By cons, don't forget that Amy did not take the money after that night, but it was her decision)

Finally, I think the shock was too great for everyone. At the time, nobody knew how to act. As you said, we were witnessing a tragedy and sometimes the surprise is so great that it is almost impossible to react.

Edited by Winehouse8327, 31 August 2012 - 11:19 AM.

I fall in love everyday !
Not with people, but with situations...

Posted Image

#21 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location🇺🇦 Ukraine 🇺🇦

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Musicians had perhaps not the courage to make the decision to leave the scene with Amy because a lot of money would have been lost.

If they had left the scene, A.W. would have stand alone. Nobody of them wanted to betray her.

V.Melnyk

#22 Keight

Keight

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

In hindsight, if they had just took her off nothing would have changed in terms of money, because Amy refused payment.

Also, let me be clear, I'm trying to explain that I think that the concert itself wasn't that bad, I'm not specifically talking about the 'emotional breakdown' or Amy's behaviour, I'm just saying that the concert itself was not as horrifying as first described. Amy's breakdown was devastating though.

for example had she continued the comeback tour, Belgrade probably wouldn't have been described as much as disastrous, just an unfortunate relapse.. it's difficult for me to explain.. sounds better in my head than in words.

Yeah I was really confused when Amy kept talking about shooting or who would get shot and her not wanting to get shot (she was talking about Dale Davis, fyi)

[MENTION=2467]ancre[/MENTION] I doubt it's full, but it's all of what Amy in the best of the Belgrade videos I could find (quality wise)

at his side and drunk on pride
we wait for the blow

#23 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

One I wish I never played...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

In hindsight, if they had just took her off nothing would have changed in terms of money, because Amy refused payment.

Not exactly. First the musicians could not know at this time, that Amy would not take the money. Second, even if Amy didn't take her part, the money was not lost for the others. When Amy canceled a gig, she had to pay a lot of extra charge. (Mitch explains that in his book) At Belgrade, she did not make money but she didn't lost money either. This is what I meant by saying that the musicians would not take such an important decision.

Otherwise, thank you for explaining your point. I understand better what you meant in your first post.

I fall in love everyday !
Not with people, but with situations...

Posted Image

#24 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

If they had left the scene, A.W. would have stand alone. Nobody of them wanted to betray her.

COmpletely agree, Amy remained the boss, if she had left, they would've followed, but they didn't want to let her down and stood by her the whole time...and remember, this is not the first time they perform with a drunk Amy, I mean some of her other concerts were also quite bad.

[MENTION=2729]Keight[/MENTION]. You know, you might be right, if Amy had continued the tour and pulled it off, maybe Belgrade would've gone down in history as just a 'rocky start' to a good come-back tour...Maybe it's just worse because it was her last concert and thus has become more tragic in light of her death...
But I remember when I first saw those videos on the news and then on the internet, I didn't feel like it was just another bad concert of a drunken Amy. I remember feeling shocked and thinking "something is not right here". She wasn't herself, she wasn't just drunk or high, she was a different kind of wasted that actually scared me. It's hard for me to put into words what was just a gut feeling, but I think we'll just have to agree to discagree about that concert. For me, she wasn't even singing.

#25 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

There were many questions that needed to cross their mind. Would they risked their jobs if they had intervened? What about Amy ? Because believing Mitch and his book, Amy wanted to be on stage. (In fact this is the only part in the book where I doubted the sincerity of Mitch - maybe he didn't want to be seen as a bad father - because I doubt that Amy really wanted to do this show ) But if this is really the case, not only Amy would have been more humiliated by struggling to stay onstage, but her musicians too. And of course, there are unfortunately the money questions. Musicians had perhaps not the courage to make the decision to leave the scene with Amy because a lot of money would have been lost. (By cons, don't forget that Amy did not take the money after that night, but it was her decision)

Finally, I think the shock was too great for everyone. At the time, nobody knew how to act. As you said, we were witnessing a tragedy and sometimes the surprise is so great that it is almost impossible to react.[/QUOTE]

Mitch also mentioned that the comeback tour decision was made months before, and he said that Amy's condition was well at that time frame. I believe that Brazil is the reason why Amy felt that she can do it with the comeback tour. However Dubai concert was after Brazil tour, and I don't really understand what is wrong with Amy that night. Mitch's explanation was that there was an audio issues. However I think otherwise, I believe she was really boring with singing the same songs over, over and over which that led me to believe that she really want to sing her new songs that is what I can see from her attitude.

Sometimes I think of "what ifs" Mitch explained in his book that he believes that Amy is safer when she is working instead of stay at home and drinking all the time. I wish they have to check with Amy's well being in the first place to make sure that she is able to go back to work. I wish that they never gave Amy alcohol that night. It's exhausting to think about what ifs. I too would believe that she would be alive if the Europe tour was not cancelled after the Belgrade. But that night did really made the people around her to finally wake up and realize that she is not okay. Too late for that because Amy is gone, and they should have done something about it a long time ago.
Mitch mentioned in his book that her record label even threatened Amy (don't remember with what) if she doesn't attend rehab. I have realized that she spent the most time in rehab but the reason that she is not able to beat alcoholism is because addiction has won her over and she didn't receive the proper counseling. Unfortunately Amy is not a believer with counseling (I understand her reason about this counseling part) And Amy did not stay long enough at rehab, remember last June when Amy attended rehab before Belgrade concert, she was able to stay for only a week (I think) and check out as a outpatient. I think that was a huge biggest wrong decision ever made. First of all the doctors knew that her condition was that bad and even warned Amy along with Mitch and Reg that if she keep drinking she will die. With Amy's condition requires to be an inpatient for a LONG LONG time. I am sad that it's too late for Amy, but it's not for others who is still battling the same disease that Amy had once faced for a long time.

#26 Keight

Keight

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Mitch also mentioned that the comeback tour decision was made months before, and he said that Amy's condition was well at that time frame. I believe that Brazil is the reason why Amy felt that she can do it with the comeback tour. However Dubai concert was after Brazil tour, and I don't really understand what is wrong with Amy that night. Mitch's explanation was that there was an audio issues. However I think otherwise, I believe she was really boring with singing the same songs over, over and over which that led me to believe that she really want to sing her new songs that is what I can see from her attitude.

Sometimes I think of "what ifs" Mitch explained in his book that he believes that Amy is safer when she is working instead of stay at home and drinking all the time. I wish they have to check with Amy's well being in the first place to make sure that she is able to go back to work. I wish that they never gave Amy alcohol that night. It's exhausting to think about what ifs. I too would believe that she would be alive if the Europe tour was not cancelled after the Belgrade. But that night did really made the people around her to finally wake up and realize that she is not okay. Too late for that because Amy is gone, and they should have done something about it a long time ago.
Mitch mentioned in his book that her record label even threatened Amy (don't remember with what) if she doesn't attend rehab. I have realized that she spent the most time in rehab but the reason that she is not able to beat alcoholism is because addiction has won her over and she didn't receive the proper counseling. Unfortunately Amy is not a believer with counseling (I understand her reason about this counseling part) And Amy did not stay long enough at rehab, remember last June when Amy attended rehab before Belgrade concert, she was able to stay for only a week (I think) and check out as a outpatient. I think that was a huge biggest wrong decision ever made. First of all the doctors knew that her condition was that bad and even warned Amy along with Mitch and Reg that if she keep drinking she will die. With Amy's condition requires to be an inpatient for a LONG LONG time. I am sad that it's too late for Amy, but it's not for others who is still battling the same disease that Amy had once faced for a long time.

It's interesting and very sad, correct me if I'm wrong but had she kept on tour, she would have worked through July into August?

Also concerning Dubai, I think it was a collection of things, aside from Amy obviously being uninspired and bored, several of the videos from Dubai I watched showed Amy singing but the sound was very dodgy, as if the mic wasn't working properly because at some points it was hard to hear her voice at all.

I think I became worried long before Belgrade, my 'oh no' moment came when I searched 'amy winehouse' on google news and saw that Amy had checked out of rehab after only 1 week, that's when I really felt concerned. She was trying to take on too much at once - making a comeback and trying to beat alcoholism. 2011 should have been the year that she dedicated herself to quitting booze. Sadly, like you said, it's just a lot of 'what ifs' now.

at his side and drunk on pride
we wait for the blow

#27 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

It's interesting and very sad, correct me if I'm wrong but had she kept on tour, she would have worked through July into August?

Also concerning Dubai, I think it was a collection of things, aside from Amy obviously being uninspired and bored, several of the videos from Dubai I watched showed Amy singing but the sound was very dodgy, as if the mic wasn't working properly because at some points it was hard to hear her voice at all.

I think I became worried long before Belgrade, my 'oh no' moment came when I searched 'amy winehouse' on google news and saw that Amy had checked out of rehab after only 1 week, that's when I really felt concerned. She was trying to take on too much at once - making a comeback and trying to beat alcoholism. 2011 should have been the year that she dedicated herself to quitting booze. Sadly, like you said, it's just a lot of 'what ifs' now.

Yeah the Summer's 2011 tour supposedly runs from the date of Belgrade to August 15th, no further comment :grumpy:.

#28 Supernovarolla

Supernovarolla

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

What bothers me is the: it's funny.

Many words summarize Belgrade. Sad. Shocking. Humiliating. But funny? Nah...I don't think so.

I think what's happened in this thread is a clashing of cultures. In the UK, the word 'funny' has several definitions depending on the context that's being used. 'Funny' doesn't just mean to find something amusing, funny can also mean; strange, odd, peculiar, curious et al.

#29 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Look, The Sun knew about "boozing ban" already 9th June 2011 so I'm just curious who was their source:
http://www.thesun.co...-Winehouse.html

The star’s management have told hotel staff in Belgrade, Serbia — where she opens on June 18 — to remove all alcohol from rooms booked by troubled Amy and her entourage.
Room service staff are also under strict orders not to deliver any drinks.
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#30 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

It's just really sad reading that...everyone was obviously aware that her drinking could be an obstacle to her comeback. She must have felt horrible after that show, like she let everyone down, including herself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users