70 replies to this topic

#1 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

There's an article in the Sun with excerpts from a new book that's out, Amy Winehouse: The Untold Story by Chloe Govan.

Proceed with caution, tho, this one might even make 'Saving Amy' by DB seem like a pretty good book...

http://www.thesun.co...lf-aged-10.html
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#2 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

Haha, the title chosen by the sun for this article made me laugh (shock value anyone?):
[h=1]Amy Winehouse first tried to kill herself aged just 10 [/h]

#3 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

the sun picks out the most shitty headline, once again.

anyways, this author writes books on katy perry, cristina aguilera, rihanna, taylor swift, kelly rowland.
by interviewing their friends, exclusively.

there is always a fine line between actuality, and truth.
i already knew that amy's problems were BAD, as in BAD, as in RED FLAG like i said in my other post.
even though some of you, think that her problems were not obvious to her parents and the world until 2007.
Seriously??
PUH-LEEZZZ

i dont need this book in order to discover that!

http://www.andrewlow...ors/chloe-govan

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

i think WE could have wrote this book.
there will be hundreds of books on amy, but only 1 worth reading imo, and it's her dad's.
aside from shunning blake, it's an excellent book.

http://www.amywinehouseforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8493-Amy-drinking-from-young-age

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#4 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

If she wanted to join the 27 club, then why would she stop using? Please. 'With friends like that, who needs enemies'

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#5 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Oh yeah, I'm sure all kinds of good friends were eager to divulge such sensitive information. When I read "Alex Foden", it all came together. I bet it's a real spectacle in bullshit artistry and masterful sensationalism.

Hope this lady makes the buck she's so obviously setting out to get.

I'm HARDLY saying Amy was an angel, or that AMD is a vessel of absolute truth...but c'mon. Those quotes sound like textbook definitions of attention whoring and exaggeration. Shock has been in for many a season now. :eyeroll:

#6 xxGodisLovexx

xxGodisLovexx

Psalm 46:10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Edited by xxWinehouseLovexx, 13 May 2013 - 10:10 PM.

John 17:25-26 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

#7 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

more:
http://radaronline.c...-tell-all-book/

“Amy had some gorgeous childhood friends that she couldn’t quite complete with,” the same friend, who did not want to be named, said.“She blossomed into a real beauty in her late teens, but earlier on she hadn’t really grown into her looks. She was seen as a bit of an ugly ducking and she felt awkward around some of the others. It didn’t help that she never cared for tidiness, so by the end of the day she would look like a scarecrow. She was still a cute child, but she told me on more than occasion that she felt ugly.”
Notes the author: “Feeling increasingly alienated from the preteen pageant queens and pink-adorned princesses clutching Barbie dolls — on Amy’s part, she’d rather have been mutilating one than playing with it — she fell into depression.”

Who is this friend? What a POS.

#8 Johanna

Johanna

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Does anyone knows the I.S.B.N. Number of the book . My bookstore can't find the book at the moment by title nor writer . :apologetic:

#9 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

[MENTION=2338]Johanna[/MENTION] http://www.amazon.co...story chloe amy

#10 Gracex

Gracex

Got me addicted, does more than any dick did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN Ireland

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I read this over the weekend. It was awful, and that's actually being polite! All the author did was take interviews done by amy and her friends and write a book around it. She appears to have spoken to Ade, but that's about it.

It annoyed me so much how she kept comparing Amy to rappers. At one point she describes Kanye West as Amy's arch rival in the music world ha ha!

#11 mrmagic

mrmagic

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

Hello,
I'm a friend of the author and I wanted to clarify a few things.
By all means you should have your opinions about the book, whether good or bad, but I wanted to point out a couple of factual inaccuracies in what has been said on here.
25 people were exclusively interviewed for and quoted in the book and the majority of them were named in it, so to say that she only interviewed Ade is downright inaccurate.
Next, to explain the Kanye West link. Amy was advised in her early career (before the first album) to work with "anyone but Kanye", as revealed by a producer the author interviewed. Amy had a long-standing feud with Kanye after a fight they had and at one show, during 'Unholy War', she changed the lyrics to "At least I'm not opening for a **** like Kanye!" He then tweeted a response joking: "Amy Winehouse hates me! Now I've really made it!" All of this is in the book. Anyway, I'm not sure why a mention of this would annoy you, Gracex - it's just part of Amy's story.
For the record, the author does not endorse the comments made by Alex Foden about the 27 Club.
She also wanted to distance herself from the sensationalist spin given to the book by the tabloids. They're all about attention-grabbing headlines because that's what sells newspapers but it gave a misleading impression of what the book was really about, quoting selectively and out of context to make it seem sleazy and gossipy.
She mentioned the preteen suicide in the first instance because she found during her research that a lot of children are hospitalised for attempted suicide and she wanted to use Amy's story to raise awareness of the fact that people suffer mental health issues that young. I think she will be working with a suicide charity in the months to come. She felt she wasn't saying much more than we already knew on that matter because Amy had talked about self-harming aged 9 and 10 in interviews already, whilst talking about the issue could help other people. Amy was all about helping others, as we saw when she even saved someone's life in St Lucia, so the author felt Amy would have wanted her to use the story to make something positive out of a bad thing.
Yes, she's a writer professionally, but this book was a labour of love for her because she'd followed Amy's work for a decade and she was one of her favourite singers of all time. She wanted to tell Amy's story and in no way did she want to cash in as some are saying.

#12 ILoveAmyWinehouse

ILoveAmyWinehouse

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

They touched on the "27 Club". Aside from being devistated, that was the first thing I thought about when Amy died.

Life is like a pipe, & I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside. - Amy Winehouse "back to black"
Amy Jade Winehouse in my heart, mind, and ears FOREVER my lioness.

#13 Gracex

Gracex

Got me addicted, does more than any dick did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN Ireland

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

It annoyed me because I spent £6.99 on a book that was downright awful. I appreciate your explanations however. But I found certain parts to not be factual or sensationalist. For instance speaking of Amy injecting, has this been proven? I'm sure that Blake himself said only he did and after their relationship ended. Also, saying Amy drank a bottle of vodka before her rehab stay prior to Belgrade- this was a miniature but this wasn't pointed out.

Also, you may want to tell your friend that the kindle version is littered with spelling mistakes.

#14 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Chloe Alexis GovanMy interview at this link explains in more detail why I did it: http://www.thistlepublishing.co.uk/page46.html

#15 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm annoyed too. I wish I had thought to go around and interview Amy's friends.
What exactly is her "background in psychology"?... I can appreciate the perspective, and I wish Mitch had taken it upon himself to delve deeper, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

The '27 club' is meaningless, why do people keep bringing it up??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users