#1 Bogart

Bogart

María

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

I apologise (in advanced) if this is not the right place to post this thread. Doing a research, looking for Amy 2004 performances, I came across with this article where two people share the experience of seeing Amy live back in 2002 and 2004 in Bristol.

[h=2]Memories of Amy Winehouse in Bristol[/h]Monday, July 25 2011

There have been many thousands of words written about the death of Amy Winehouse on Saturday. She was one of the most talented music stars of her generation, but her death had a tragic inevitability that makes it even more sad. Here are some memories of a few of the gigs Winehouse played in Bristol:
Amy Winehouse: Louisiana, Bristol, 2002
In 2002 my brother was working at Island Records and he called me to say that they had just signed an amazing new artist and that they thought she was a ‘white Nina Simone’. He said that the label had decided that Bristol was one of the cities where they should test her material and that she was playing the following night at the Louisiana and that I should go. It was a last minute thing and the night had already been booked by the management of Jimmy Goodrich and to be honest most of the people there had come to see him and there were mutterings that he was annoyed as his night had been hijacked by some poncy Londoner. Anyway she came on and blew everyone away. She smoked fags throughout the show and the main thing I remember was that she was absolutely tiny and her beehive wobbled. Her voice was incredible and although she sang like one of the jazz greats her material was totally north London and in between the songs she talked about her local and what she would be doing if she was at home. I was totally blown away by her and knew that she was going to be huge. Such a shame that she died so young.
By Marti Burgess
Amy Winehouse: Fleece & Firkin, Bristol, January 25, 2004
It was early 2003 and a song came on a TV show called Popworld that stopped me in my tracks and grabbed my full attention. I found out that the song was Stronger Than Me by Amy Winehouse. Within days I’d bought her debut album Frank and felt so much connection to so many of the lyrics in the songs that it became the soundtrack to most of summer 2003 for me. The way she sang so passionately and yet so innocently combined with a voice that wouldn’t have been out of place in a smoky New Orleans jazz bar, hooked me in completely. When I heard she was playing The Fleece & Firkin in Bristol in January 2004 I couldn’t rest until I had tickets. I remember queuing outside and there was quite a buzz amongst those going in. The small gig had sold out and it felt a privilege to be there. I can honestly say that of all the gigs I’ve been to, stadium, festival or pub, it still stands out in my mind as one of the most memorable. This massive, sultry voice full of passion and conviction coming from a girl who was so young and quite shy between takes, was incredible. I remember her feeling embarrassed as she noticed a small tear in her dress, and looking nervously at her friend Tyler for encouragement between songs. At the end of the gig there was none of the usual ‘What did you think?’ chatter you normally hear after gigs. There was just a shared feeling around the room that we had witnessed something very special and someone who we were going to hear a lot more of in the future.
By Paula White

http://www.bristol-c...use-in-bristol/

Sunday 25 Jan 04, The Fleece, Bristol:
[attachment=3804:20100130-173156-867014.jpg]
[attachment=3805:20100130-173134-075546.jpg]

• Love is a losing game likes this

AMY WINEHOUSE DEVOTEE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2002, 2004, article, bristol, memories

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users