469 replies to this topic

#451 CHCHANEL

CHCHANEL

rulers one thing but come brixton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

I can't believe it when I read all this negative comments about this Bruno Mars tribute to Amy. Why you hatin'? Isn't it acutally cool that a person you really did not think would pay tribute to her did, and not only covered it but really sang it from the heart!

We could go on and on about who should've or who would've sung the amy tribute, hell! I could've sung the tribute! Or maybe the amy winehouse forum in a big choir!
That would've been awesome, but probably not possible.
Yes, they had little time to plan it all but i really don't think the performance was rushed or heartless. I cry almost everytime he sings ''OOooh Amy! Oh, Amy! I love you darling. I love you darling'' and so on..
And I never was a Bruno Mars fan! My first though was that Adele would cover an Amy song, but yeah.. Bruno Mars it was.

And some people might think it's wrong that they covered Valerie since it's not Amy's song, but as some already wrote, she loved the song! And actually I think it's a little pinch on the nose for The Zutons because she totally rocked that song to a whole new level.
And Amy was really connected to that song!
I'm happy with the VMA's it was just right. They could've invited Britney Spears next year instead though. No hard feelings!

Posted Image

#452 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

well i love that bruno mars payed the tribute as he is original no copy of no one and he sung with meaning it brought tears to my eyes when he sings that bit oh we miss you darling and youve got everybody singing wich is true and something she loved was to sing.
i am not a fan of adele shes nothing but a copy she isnt original shes not fresh she is just the same as a whole list of love song singers her album is all the same . as some one stated on some where else i read amy winehouse set the record she was fresh and brilliant talent and then due to her personal problems she came out of the music scene and then people were left wanting more so record companys jumped on this money making wagon by bringing people like duffy adele as people would buy them as a substetute for amy.
adele can sing but no way can she connect with her music and i wouldnt of liked her doing a tribute as she wouldnt of done justice to it!
bruno made it his own customised it with the most sweetest words.
:(

#453 ryan

ryan

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

i agree with these comments! as i said earlier, the russell brand introduction was horrible in my opinion. dionne would have been great. mitch, Zalon... the list goes on. i truly dislike this russell guy. calling her dopey? don't mention anything negative when you're doing a tribute about someone. really angered me. i didn't feel any emotion from his speech. if he was so rushed, he could have used less words in that time and could have made it a lot more beautiful. amy deserves so much more than that whole 5 minute or less tribute mtv gave her. i just want amy back :(

#454 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

well i love that bruno mars payed the tribute as he is original no copy of no one and he sung with meaning it brought tears to my eyes when he sings that bit oh we miss you darling and youve got everybody singing wich is true and something she loved was to sing.
i am not a fan of adele shes nothing but a copy she isnt original shes not fresh she is just the same as a whole list of love song singers her album is all the same . as some one stated on some where else i read amy winehouse set the record she was fresh and brilliant talent and then due to her personal problems she came out of the music scene and then people were left wanting more so record companys jumped on this money making wagon by bringing people like duffy adele as people would buy them as a substetute for amy.
adele can sing but no way can she connect with her music and i wouldnt of liked her doing a tribute as she wouldnt of done justice to it!
bruno made it his own customised it with the most sweetest words.
:(

And, breathe...

Adele is amazing. 'Nuff said. I enjoyed Bruno Mars' tribute, but Adele is bloody fantastic!

"i'm a musician, fuck the rest"

1983 - 2011

#455 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

like i said just my view in 5years to come where will she be?? forgotten about shes not unique and she will never be as good as amy winehouse her songs were real emotinal songs but the way you could still have a little dance to them...
i still cant believe it really :(

#456 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

I think saying Adele can't connect with her music is abit silly really, but that's just me. Adele has an amazing voice. She writes her own songs and truly connects with her lyrics. Her and Amy are different and can't be compared in my opinion.

"i'm a musician, fuck the rest"

1983 - 2011

#457 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

oh no they cant but so many people do compare them... and every one has diffrent music tastes >:-)

#458 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

Honestly, Bruno Mars did a phenomenal job. I dont think he could have done it better. When i first realized he would cover valerie, i was a bit dissapointed, but then i realized it was the best choice of song. It was upbeat and happy, which is a much better way to remember Amy then on a sad note. It seemed like a genuine performance with emotion. I thought the performance was produced very well. I love the dancing actually, as it totally reminds me of her backup singers dances. I think the tribute could have been better, but his performance was extremely good and really couldn't be done better by him. Cant stop listening to it!

#459 Jaede~

Jaede~

Fanks Daaaarling~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

I finally got a chance to catch the VMA's last night. Bruno mars did a great job covering Valerie. I pretty much only watched the Amy tribute , other bits and pieces and nothing else. I missed Adele perform. I'm sure she did great even thought i'm not a huge fan of hers. I wasn't really interested in the other performers. Because let's just say most of them annoy me. And from what I heard from some people elsewhere was that Beyonce was trying to hog the spotlight or something because she was pregnant...

Overall, I thought the VMA's this year was a little awkward....in a way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#460 LaPeep

LaPeep

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

All say that Valerie wasn't Amy's song. But hot damn she put such and original spin on that song and sang it like she wrote it. To me it actually was HER song and not the Zutons.
Her delivery shows what a genius she was .

Also, I think that if they were to honor her by an artist performing one of her other songs
LIALG, Wake up alone etc.....at the tribute it would have been thrice as bad criticism wise.
BECAUSE THOSE WERE HER SONGS, only SHE could have sang them.

And as close as Dionne and Mark R. were to her in her life they can't do justice to those songs even if they were chosen.

In retrospect after watching the MTV tribute and not being so emotional about it like I was when I first viewed it.....I think Bruno did a good job.

Whover follows AMY is damned if they do and damned if they don't cuz they have some mighty impossible shoes to fill!!
"I don't know her, I never met her, and when I saw that pic, I thought, 'That's me!' But then I found out, no, it's Amy........Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes

#461 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

I don't know bruno from a man in the moon but I thought he did a great job. I mean, that was a good performance. plus, the stage, backdrop etc was awesome with amy's picture on the huge screen.

tony getting old and I think he had some trouble verbalizing what he wanted to say but it wasn't uncomfortable to watch. put him behind a mic and he's still 50.

I thought it was a great tribute. I give it a B+.

#462 LucyGoose

LucyGoose

Think love and wear a smile...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

Fascinated by this kid Tyler and his posse of teens (LOL!) I feel so old writing that, even if in jest.

Anyways, here is Tyler's tweet about his cursing, I forgive him :D

*ucktyler Tyler, The Creator

And Not To Use Age As Like, An Excuse, But I'm 20, Not A F*cking 40 Year Old Man, I'm 20 And Still Dont Know Shit, Im Just Having Fun.

#463 Jaede~

Jaede~

Fanks Daaaarling~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

All say that Valerie wasn't Amy's song. But hot damn she put such and original spin on that song and sang it like she wrote it. To me it actually was HER song and not the Zutons.
Her delivery shows what a genius she was .

I agree. She covered that song so well that she basically made it her own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#464 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

And Not To Use Age As Like, An Excuse, But I'm 20, Not A F*cking 40 Year Old Man, I'm 20 And Still Dont Know Shit, Im Just Having Fun.

40 year old men don't know shit either. neither do 58 year old men. it's an illusion.

#465 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

interesting to read the posts. I have learned alot and you 'youngins' have brought me up into the twentyfirst century. LOL

I had to snaggle thru 2 hrs of seeing people I didn't know in order to get to the tribute. I didn't know(don't know Bruno) but I have to say that I thought he did a great job w/the performance. he was on key, and I loved the personalization of it. reminded me so much of her brits performance w/Ronson w/those lights.

I also feel that it was a bit difficult for /Tony to convey in words but what I have always found amazing is that even w/age, he is so on key and sounds much like he did years ago. his voice is ageless. Some have criticized Ella's performances late in life...I found her voice to be like wine/perfect w/age. Her most criticized album was her Antonio Carlos Joabim tribute album, which I consider one of my favs so what do I know.

Although Adelle's style may differ from Amy's, I find her voice beautiful. seems like her songwriting too comes from the heart and experiences in life.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users