Photo
- - - - -

Camden Square; should there be a statue of Amy there?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

yeah, jimmie's definitely still playing. see website. whoops. http://www.jimmievaughan.com/
i think stevie considered jimmie a better guitarist and in some technical aspects, may have been. but i'm sure jimmie knew better, it was just brotherly love.

a lot of visitor's first stop in austin is stevie ray's statue. it's near downtown, just off a hike and bike trail right by town lake. nobody has ever desecrated it but just leave flowers etc.

notice the long shadow behind him(can't post oics)

Speaking of guitar players Gary Moore died this year died in his bed like Amy, but cause for him was of suspected heart attack...

Still got the blues for Amy...

To get a statue of Amy I suppose would have to contact Camden Council and ask them if it is possible to put it there and who is going to pay for it? It would obviously have to go through Amy's family and be approved by them.

http://www.camden.go...4371C674820C346

Edited by Nigel Jam, 07 September 2011 - 11:17 PM.

#17 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:13 PM

i may have posted that song then, i loved his playing. great loss

#18 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

sorry, turning into a statue thread but this freddie mercury is epic.

Attached Files

#19 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

In all reality it will probably take "years" to get the council to allow a statue of Amy put up anywhere in Camden, it does take years if at all as they will ask what her cultural merits where long term to deserve a public permanant statue - not to say there couldn't be one in her front garden if the house she owned in Camden Square is going to be used as a Rehab Centre.

Best thing to do if anyone is serious about finding out about a statue is to Twitter Mitch Winehouse if enough people contact him he may make a statement on the issue!

http://twitter.com/#!/mitchwinehouse

or e-mail him: mitchelwinehouse@gmail.com

#20 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

i know these things don't happen overnight, quite the opposite.

i don't twitter and i won't clutter mitch's inbox for a while.

#21 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

i know these things don't happen overnight, quite the opposite.

i don't twitter and i won't clutter mitch's inbox for a while.

Literally Yearsss - will the tears have dried on their own?

#22 africanfusion

africanfusion

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

i think a statue would be cool however i also think there may be opposition to the idea partly because her neighbours may not want their street to turn into a shrine & also because there will be some people who can't look past amy's drug & alcohol use.

#23 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

will the tears have dried on their own?

"These tears won't dry without [...] Amy." :(

#24 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

i think a statue would be cool however i also think there may be opposition to the idea partly because her neighbours may not want their street to turn into a shrine & also because there will be some people who can't look past amy's drug & alcohol use.

I think people are going to keep going there anyway and leaving tributes on the corner, I havn't been there since 10th August so I don't know if it's carried on?

So if so maybe better to have something in the garden, a statue, in the middle of the square if you know what it's like there, there is a square with houses round then in the middle a big garden surrounded by trees that is a public park, which is run by the council and locked at night.

There is no grave for Amy, people still visit the grave of Jim Morrison in Paris and also Jimi Hendrix in Seattle people (fans) visit their graves.

#25 Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb

Velut Inter Ignis Lunae Minor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

the fans need a place where to go..
One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star.
Become what you already are.
(Nietzsche)

#26 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

Yea, the fans truly need a place to remember her spirit. Perhaps similar to John Lennon's in Central Park. It doesn't have to be a statue, though. I think Lennon's memorial is more moving than a statue could be.

Though, Billie Holiday recently got a statue in Baltimore. Its quite nice! however, it took some time before she got her memorial in Baltimore...

#27 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:15 AM

I think there will eventually be a statue or some kind of memorial to Amy in Camden. I also think there will be a "blue plaque" on one or more of the houses where she lived. She's part of the English and London cultural heritage now.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users