36 replies to this topic

#1 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Anyone read it?, i've glanced through it, she makes Amy sound like a nutcase and her parents abit not right, is she for real, seems abit far fetched in parts.

#2 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

No ones read it then?, she makes Mitch and Janet sound abit upit too, anyone, got any opinion?

#3 fuck-me-pumps

fuck-me-pumps

empty inside.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

The best book about Amy I've ever read. Fresh, non-schematic, full of untold stories. Every true fan should read "Saving Amy" :)

#4 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

Really, not feeling it, she makes Amy sound like a schizophrenic, and the parents sound detached, why would Amy behave towards this person the way she claims she did, the dress incident, doesn't sound like the Amy we have seen in interviews and stuff, not does it sound like the mitch and janis in parts.

#5 fuck-me-pumps

fuck-me-pumps

empty inside.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

I know that's "only" book, so I don't take everything literally but "Saving Amy" contains great case-studies. We can know the way of thinking/feeling of Amy's dad, mom, stepmother and Dafne. That's unique, that's fresh. While reading "SA", we can make psychological portrets of these people.

///sorry for the mistakes I've probably made!

#6 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

I can't remember who, (maybe Elsie?) if you go back to much older threads, you'll find a whole thread about 'saving amy'. the ones that read it added posts to the thread, but the person that started the thread wrote quite a good detailed account of their thoughts.

i think in the end, they said that if you were really an Amy fan, you'd enjoy the read.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#7 Mutterkorn1

Mutterkorn1

Hippiezwerg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

THX ... i will buy it !
http://www.robinbook...CFYMKfAod5GP5vQ
:heart:Posted Image

#8 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

I can't remember who, (maybe Elsie?) if you go back to much older threads, you'll find a whole thread about 'saving amy'. the ones that read it added posts to the thread, but the person that started the thread wrote quite a good detailed account of their thoughts.

i think in the end, they said that if you were really an Amy fan, you'd enjoy the read.

Nah wasn't me, I didn't read it. Don't really read biographies tbh, well not about her. I think us fans who followed her 4 years or more probably know more about her than these so called writers ...so this also answers the original thread question on my behalf ;-)

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#9 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

^sorry, Elsie. I couldn't remember for sure. didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth. I wish i could find the thread. I looked but couldn't find. It started maybe back in '09 or '10.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#10 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

lol don't worry about it. Could this be the thread? crol's post had a good review.

#11 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

I'm looking for it want to read it when I can.

#12 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hmv, whsmiths, so on. It makes me uncomfy, just was she depicts them, and herself, like she's something special, deluded twat!, best one upto now, is the chas newton one, he seems to be alright. x

#13 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

I read the Kindle version.

In some ways, it was very insightful. In some parts, I thought she had Mitch and Janis pegged perfectly, but in other ways, she was just full of crap.

While reading it, there were parts where Amy's parents reminded me of my own. My father was attention-seeking and loud like hers, and my mom was passive and seemingly cold like hers. I could read it and think, yeah, Amy probably felt this and felt that because of her parents' behavior at times.

But I think she misinterpreted ALL of their behavior for the purpose of making her book more sensational.

Her father was loud, boisterous, and in some major damned denial, but I don't think he ever meant for anything but to help his daughter. He had flaws - he may have done better to admit some of her mental issues and addiction issues to himself - but he was her daddy - of course he wanted to think she was alright! And of course he wanted to blame other people for her issues at times. That's an entirely human response.

And her mother didn't understand Amy's excesses, and she just shut down a little bit to deal with it. She loved her kid - dearly so, it seems - but she knew there was only so much that could be done. And I don't think she wanted to take the chance of being rejected.

These weren't people who reacted to the addiction of a loved one in anything other than the textbook way. They were different reactions, but they weren't uncommon. And short of sectioning her, there isn't much they could've done that they didn't do. People will say they should've had her sectioned, but that ain't as easily done as said. I'm in the States, and it took 4 years to section my delusional, deeply bi-polar (and alcoholic) grandfather who was shitting himself and brushing his teeth with razors - and after we did, he flung himself down the stairs of the mental hospital, killing himself.

In other words, I hate that she vilified Amy's parents. A lot of people vilified my father and me after my grandfather's death, saying we should've done this and that, but we did all we could. It's not their fault, and it's not Blake's fault, and it's not Reg's fault, and it's not even really her fault that what happened to her came to pass.

And that story about Amy basically becoming violent about a dress or physically hurting Daphne and her team if they stayed? Please. Even if she'd hit them, she was no more than 5'2" and 95 lbs at the time, and she didn't strike me as the type to stab a person in their sleep.

Some of it seemed right. She did seem like she could be a little stunted and child-like. I obviously didn't know her, but I could see where that could be the case. But violent past a little slap or a scratch? Nah. If she'd been a monstrous little terror, she wouldn't have had so many people standing by her over the years. She made tea for *paparazzi* and rarely got pissed off unless they were crowding her goddaughter or literally chasing her down the street. An inherently violent person wouldn't take that crap. You have to drive someone like that to a reaction. Daphne's lucky she got what she did.

/rant

As an aside, why are Americans so forgiving of guys like Robert Downey Jr., Jim Belushi, or Heath Ledger for being addicts yet so resentful of women like Amy Winehouse, Lindsay Lohan, or Britney Murphy for their addictions? Amy and Britney likely didn't even die of drug overdoses, and they're vilified and we're told that it was all their fault, but Jim Belushi and Heath Ledger were tragic. People worked hard to get Robert Downey Jr. insured and back into business, but they immediately wrote off Lohan (not that she's as talented, but...).

I had a discussion about this recently with a friend when he was making fun of Carrie Fisher's addictions but talking about how Jim Belushi's death was 'such a shame' and everyone 'should've done more' to save him. We had this discussion after watching Blues Brothers, which Fisher was in because she was a friend of Belushi's. They were drug buddies, in fact. So why was his death a 'shame' whilst she should be ashamed of herself? Do y'all think it's a gender issue?

#14 prettymaryk

prettymaryk

distractionless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:52 AM

As an aside, why are Americans so forgiving of guys like Robert Downey Jr., Jim Belushi, or Heath Ledger for being addicts yet so resentful of women like Amy Winehouse, Lindsay Lohan, or Britney Murphy for their addictions? Amy and Britney likely didn't even die of drug overdoses, and they're vilified and we're told that it was all their fault, but Jim Belushi and Heath Ledger were tragic.

Heath Ledger wasn't an addict... he died of a prescription drug overdose (something for pneumonia, plus sleeping pills and anti-depressants). Much like Amy's death, it was incorrectly blamed on recreational drugs. (I don't mean to be rude in correcting you, I just really loved Heath Ledger - and the grief I went through over him has really helped me now.)

I think the public's approach is deeply wrong towards both male and female addicts. Heath Ledger is still getting his share of "stupid drug addict deserved it" comments... But women do get it worse, probably because women in the entertainment industry are still valued primarily for their looks - and drugs ruin them. I can't count the number of comments I've heard about how "disgusting" Amy looks (same with Kate Moss and various other addicts as they appear in the news). No one seemed to care until photographs were published. It's not the fact they're addicts, it's that they dare not to care about their appearance. Men don't quite have that problem.

Robert Downey Jr, though, is the only one of the people you listed who was an actual addict and survived (I don't count Lindsey Lohan, I think it's all a bit exaggerated). And those who survive and overcome their addictions always get more respect - whether it's RDJ, Iggy Pop or whoever else. People focus on the survivors and forget the dead - it's only logical. But RDJ is incredibly talented and I'm very glad he's respected again.

As for this book... I haven't read it, but even reading about it makes me nauseous. Is it just me? What's with the modern trend of writing presumptuous celebrity biographies? They write for shock value, nothing about the art or the talent of their subjects. I can't stand it. It turns someone's real and personal life into a soap opera for public consumption.

#15 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

As an aside, why are Americans so forgiving of guys like Robert Downey Jr., Jim Belushi, or Heath Ledger for being addicts yet so resentful of women like Amy Winehouse, Lindsay Lohan, or Britney Murphy for their addictions? Amy and Britney likely didn't even die of drug overdoses, and they're vilified and we're told that it was all their fault, but Jim Belushi and Heath Ledger were tragic. People worked hard to get Robert Downey Jr. insured and back into business, but they immediately wrote off Lohan (not that she's as talented, but...).

Lohan has been given more than enough chances to sort herself out tbh. She seems to enjoy the attention and I think people stopped feeling sorry for that reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users