36 replies to this topic

#16 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Oh, I don't disagree that Lohan isn't as sympathetic a figure - and she's not even so talented - because of her attitude, but she gets it worse than a lot of dudes who have also had many chances to clean out and who have been arrested. Like Tom Sizemore, for example.

And I do love RDJ and am thrilled he's clean, but the paps a not all crowding around like cultures waiting for the day he relapses like tried with Amy.

And, yeah, Lohan's had many chances, but many people also gave Amy chances that she blew (Belgrade, for one), and we still had some empathy. I'm not a Lohan fan, but it has to bfe hard to get clean when employees of the rehab you're I'm sell your information to the tabloids.

#17 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

And I really apologize for the Heath Ledger mistake! I didn't know; the U.S. media never corrected that.

It looks like he was just taking antibiotics and Ambien. That's scary - I'm a chronic insomniac, and I take Ambien.

#18 prettymaryk

prettymaryk

distractionless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

Oh, don't apologize - I just wanted to point it out. Yeah, I've been paranoid about taking any kind of medication since then... (which isn't good.)

Personally, I just never took the rumours of Lohan's addiction seriously. I always thought people are sick of her appearing in the tabloids all the time, not dismissive because she's actually an addict.

Then again, before I actually listened to her, I never took the rumours of Amy's addiction seriously either. It was so hard to believe that in the twenty-first century stars still get addicted for real... I thought that it was all a publicity stunt. Of course, after hearing her I realised it was all true. Unfortunately.

I think many people might be making the same mistake - assuming it isn't serious when it is.

I do like Lindsay Lohan - she's in some dreadful films, but she was great in Prairie Home Companion... I hope, if she really is in as bad a shape as everyone says, that she gets better.

#19 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:00 AM

Lohan's family is a hot mess; I think that's why I have some empathy. I don't think there's one person honestly trying to help that girl.

I'm pretty sure she's an addict, but I'm guessing it's more prescription pills now. She always has a glassy, zombified look to her. Hollywood is filled with 'script docs', and they know how to get a person high with legitimate drugs. And if someone's on methodone to kick a drug addiction, like Mike Starr was (no one discussed it in the media, calling out just a small amount of Xanax and alcohol, but he was on methodone when he was on Celebrity Rehab), all it takes is one benzo to give them a high that feels just like heroin. I don't think that's quite as common in the U.K., but the Hollywood crowd always mentions it (after they get caught).

Doctors should be more accountable for that. Usually they just lose their licenses, but the ones who prescribe someone 5 anti-anxiety meds, hydrocodone, and then top it off with some Adderall should be indicted for manslaughter more often.

But, back to the book, it's worth reading with a shaker full of sea salt. I cringed at the Daphne-is-a-beloved-saint theme throughout the book and thought that she was a condescending bitch throughout the whole book, but there were some interesting insights.

#20 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thank you, that daphine was so deluded, she bigger than Amy?, what in height, she full of shit for the most part for me anyway.

#21 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

I think she's just full of herself and deluded. At one point, she told Amy that she was a bigger star than her in some parts of the world. I doubt that.

I'm also sure the dress story had to be bunk. Daphne *was* bigger than Amy - in dress sizes. And I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing, but they weren't exactly interchangeable when it came to sizing.

#22 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

Again, Thank you, that dress story was bullshit to me, and Amy running round naked, and wearing things for her and all that shit, trying to make a name for herself of the back of Amy, as if mitch and janis would have behaved the way she said they did, telling her like she a saviour, and not knowing how to interact, love Amy, kind of saying something bout mitch kissing amy on lips, yeah, and, i kiss my family and friends on lips, so what, she makes it sound weird, horrid woman. x

#23 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I felt disgusted after reading this book. I think Daphne went out of her way to make Amy look ridiculous and I just didn't enjoy that. I think small parts of it were probably true but she exaggerated everything to make it more exciting. Some of her insights were interesting but Daphne certainly came out of seeming really unlikable.

"Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin' by..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#24 Lydia

Lydia

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

Again, Thank you, that dress story was bullshit to me, and Amy running round naked, and wearing things for her and all that shit, trying to make a name for herself of the back of Amy, as if mitch and janis would have behaved the way she said they did, telling her like she a saviour, and not knowing how to interact, love Amy, kind of saying something bout mitch kissing amy on lips, yeah, and, i kiss my family and friends on lips, so what, she makes it sound weird, horrid woman. x

That kiss-on-the-lips comment of hers came out of nowhere. I don't see how that's inappropriate. It wasn't something my uptight Irish-Swedish family did, but it's also not something I look at and go "Eeeew, gross!" I grew up in an Italian-American neighborhood; if Daphne had been there for five seconds, she'd have been convinced that everyone was guilty of incest if she was so worked up over a peck on the lips.

In the most recent Kindle version - the one I read - she said that Amy called her up after the book was published and told her that she was the only one who understood her. Yeah, sure. I know I'd call up a person who essentially called me a liar, a thief, and a child.

I'm pretty sure what happened there is that Amy was like "'ey, why are you having this bitch following me around and recording me?" and then they realized she was a bloodsucking leech, sued her, and she's been trying to milk out the money ever since.

#25 YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

I knew you were good, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

I kiss my grandma on the lips. I doubt it is incest....

#26 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

I've just read this book. In my opinion it's Daphne-centered not Amy-centered. It start's with the constatation that "Daphne Barak is one of the few leading A-list interviewers [...]" and whole page is like this... I'm a book-lover and have never seen a book (I mean among those not being called autobigraphy or autofiction) with the author so preoccupied with himself/herself!

Note that Amy was not interviewed by the author, she didn't want Daphne in her recording studio, was angry with her father to invite Barak's filming crew. As a result Daphne described her OBSERVATIONS and noted pieces of conversations she had with Amy's parents and mother-in-law Jane only.

I hope I can cite few phrases to the purposes of this small review:

"I tell her, [...] 'You are not the most interesting person in the world. In fact you are becoming very boring. I don't wan't to hear all this.'
Amy is shocked. No one talks to her like this. She cries:'What do you mean?! [Do] you know how famous I am?'
I say, 'Amy,... I am more known in some countries than you...'
Even drunk and naked, Amy is funny. She looks at me and says, "Let's wrestle [to see] who is more famous!' "
(source: Daphne Barak "Saving Amy", New Holland 2010, p.168).

For me it's obvious that Amy was kidding here ;)

I think it's good to read "Saving Amy" just to have your own opinion. If you know a lot about Amy being her loyal fan you'll know how to judge the content.

#27 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Daphine would be the perfect match for snake faileder drivel, pair of twats!. Both parasites and deleuded.

Exactly, i kiss my family and friends on the lips, why make it weird, silly woman, and the bit bout mitch stopping amy sucking her thumb, theres loads of pics with her sucking her thumb, big deal, its either when she stressed, or sompletely at ease.

#28 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Exactly, Wrestling bit, Amys joking, but making her sound like that, running round naked and drunk and potentially violent over a bloody dress that is not even same gfookin size, deluded daphine, stupid bitch, she tying to make a name for herself of other people, talking shit. x

#29 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I don't know why Mitch ever thought it was a good idea to invite someone like Daphne Barak to do a documentary on Amy, especially at that time in her life, when she needed space to get better. But then Daphne has managed to worm herself into the lives of a lot of famous people and she's obviously got her insidious ways of convincing them. That and I believe at some point Mitch realised it was a big mistake, so I don't think it's fair for me to be hard on him.

I have to admit I've only read parts of the book, I'm no fan of celeb biographies and Daphne's writing seems to be among the worst of the kind to me. It's not just badly written (really badly, I mean REALLY), she's also sensationalist and caricaturises (is that a word?) everybody involved to make them fit into the story she wants to tell. She makes a big deal of the bits where she's with Amy to cover up the fact she didn't actually get to spend a lot of time with her at all, so those incidents are probably exaggerated and taken out of context. There does seem to be some interesting insight into Amy and her family though, but you have to find it in between Daphne's huge ego and her preconceptions.

#30 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

She's a cunt!, agreed, lol x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users