45 replies to this topic

#1 Juan19

Juan19

RIP AmyWinehouse. We miss you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Tony Bennett told Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show" that his "Duets" partner Amy Winehouse knew her alcohol addiction was going to kill her, when she recorded with him earlier this year.
Bennett, who has the number-one album in the country with his "Duets II" collaborations, praised the late Winehouse, who died July 23. He said she was a great singer in the tradition of Dinah Washington.
But he also said that during his Abbey Road studio session with Winehouse last March, where they recorded the pop standard "Body and Soul," the pop diva was so troubled by her alcohol addiction that she knew she wasn't going to live much longer.
"She was in trouble at that time ... What people didn't realize at that time, she really knew, and in fact I didn't really know it when we were making the record ... She knew she was in a lot of trouble, that she wasn't gonna' live. And it wasn't drugs. It was alcohol," Bennett said

http://www.reuters.c...E78T47F20110930

#2 YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

I knew you were good, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Of course she knew. She was not stupid. I actually think she realized it and tried to do the right things by gaining weight and trying to stop drinking.

#3 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Of course she knew. She was not stupid. I actually think she realized it and tried to do the right things by gaining weight and trying to stop drinking.

That what makes me so sad. She was trying to get better, she was fighting so hard to win the battle. And what was her prize? Gosh, life is fucking unfair.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#4 YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

YouShouldBeStrongerThanMe

I knew you were good, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

That is also why I cried so much when she died.

#5 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

Yes... it's a real smack in the mouth. She was a clever girl; of course she knew all this business would kill her. She knew. She also knew that she had so much to live for and wanted to get better. It is so unfair as I think she would have gotten over it. :-(

#6 Juan19

Juan19

RIP AmyWinehouse. We miss you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

Yeah that nakes it sad. She was battling hard to better

#7 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

She had to have known. Amy just seemed like the type that didn't want people to worry about her.

I just think it was bizarre that she had a history of seizures but not once did it ever happen on stage.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#8 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

I just think it was bizarre that she had a history of seizures but not once did it ever happen on stage.

She wasn't on stage much in the past 4 years, maybe that is why.

Harder for me to understand is how she could have had seizures but still continue with the behavior that brought them on. If it had been me, one seizure would have scared me straight. But I guess that's the power of addiction in some cases. Then again, we don't really know all the details of what happened.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#9 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

Everybody seems to have known but no one did anything about it!

Self fulfilling Prophecy! If she "knew" she was going to die from alcohol then she probably knocked back a few bottles on purpose - a self fullfilling prophecy!

#10 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

I know what a self fulfilling prophecy is, its more of a psychological term in my eyes, byt she wanted kids, she was trying to stop, but maybe the damage was done, she didn't go out in a blaze of glory in purpose, if she could have stopped sooner, she could have got her bosy back on track, only she knows just how much she drank x

#11 Johanna

Johanna

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

I still waith for the official message of what knocked down Amy . But maybe in this case we will never know .

#12 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

That what makes me so sad. She was trying to get better, she was fighting so hard to win the battle. And what was her prize? Gosh, life is fucking unfair.

Life isn't fair. Good people die, and bad people can prosper. That's the way it is sometimes. But the hard lesson of alcoholism is that once you detox, you can never drink again. Detox is a medically supervised process where the person is weened off alcohol carefully (Never go cold turkey. That can be deadly). After detox, the person is considered a recovered alcoholic. According to her father, Amy went through several detoxifications. She did not die from alcohol withdrawal. She had alcohol in her system when she died. Besides, you quickly become quite ill when you go cold turkey without medical support.

We don't know exactly how Amy died. A final report is due this month. But it really doesn't matter what it says. She's gone in a physical sense, but she lives on in those who love her, her music and her lasting influence on other singers and songwriters. I think sites like this and its members should promote her legacy and get people to discover who she was. I've "converted" a few myself already.

Edited by SteveV, 01 October 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#13 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

After detox, the person is considered a recovered alcoholic

Alcoholics are never considered 'recovered', they are, for life, recovering alcoholics.

I agree with Dave, we don't know what all happened but if I had ONE seizure, I'd have admitted myself to the hospital. Even though I grew up around alcoholism, it's hard to understand an alcoholic.
To watch someone intelligent and bright just piss their life away still brings up anger and helplessness in me.
It's not easy to fuck yourself up so bad, so fast that you die at 27. Like I say, today, I'm angry.

#14 AmyInBlood

AmyInBlood

My Love For You Is Getting Bigger By The Day!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

This hurts even more. Oh, Amy why didn't somebody help you. Now it's too late. I miss you so fucking much, I can't stop crying...

LOVE YOU! <3 :'-(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love you so much Amy! :D

#15 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Alcoholics are never considered 'recovered', they are, for life, recovering alcoholics.

That's correct. They are alcoholics for life. What I meant was that, after successful detoxification, they can reach a state of health which they can maintain if and only if they never drink again.

Amy did an ITV interview which appears elsewhere in this forum, but I want to focus on the last scene where she refers to her drinking and misbehavior. She's saying all news (about her) is good news if it helps sell a record or two. I wish I was there to give her some tough love. I'd say No! No! No! The vast majority of people who buy your records do so because they love your music, You connect with them in a special way. When you screw up, it hurts them too. They are embarrassed for you. You have to understand that you have a responsibility to them. There a legions of people who will support you and help you, but first you have decide to help yourself. You owe it to your dedicated and loving fans as much as to yourself with your God given talent.

Edited by SteveV, 01 October 2011 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users