85 replies to this topic

#31 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

proud to say that my husband has officially discovered Amy through this song.

I was listening to it non-stop last night when he got home sans earpiece. I didn't care. I was like a sixteen year old dancing around(no offense to the teens.didn't mean that in any other way but meaning funloving and care free). he asked me, 'who is that"? I told him that it was the 'girl that is the wallpaper on the desktop that I told u I adore'. he said, 'she has a beautiful voice'. we spent late into the night/early morning with me teaching him a course in 'Amy 101'. he asked if I had a cd of hers he could listen to. I'm blown away.

needless to say, we spent early early morning here in the US listening to the BBC program together.

confession: I had honestly kept my addiction to her and her music a bit of a secret from my husband. didn't want him to think I was a nut or immature. see what I missed out on? lesson learned.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#32 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Heres a link to the song - i think she sounds phenomenal, even if she just sings the hook (and the beautiful backing vocals with the ooh ohh's and such):)

http://www.missinfo...._medium=twitter

I gone to this page and where is the link for the song - i can't see it!

#33 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

Under the picture of Amy and Nas, after the paragraph. I posted this in another thread as wel - here's a youtube link too:

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#34 tracey

tracey

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Uno, Thanks for sharing 'Smoke' and "Our Day Will Come" as well, difficult to find in Canada- much appreciated!

#35 LaPeep

LaPeep

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

I LOVE IT
"I don't know her, I never met her, and when I saw that pic, I thought, 'That's me!' But then I found out, no, it's Amy........Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes

#36 Juan19

Juan19

RIP AmyWinehouse. We miss you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Just heard this song and amys lyrics are so nice! like some of you guys and girls said, its more of a NAS song but amy made it better with those lyrics!

#37 BitterSweet92

BitterSweet92

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Just amazing. Amy definitely takes over the song, for me. Wow, two new Amy songs in a day!

#38 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Well, wasn't sure I would like this at all as I'm not big into hip hop. However, I am really surprised! I absolutely love it (think I like it even better than 'Our Day Will Come'. Find her bits fabulous and actually like Nas too! Oooo - very exciting. Could listen to it again and again. Loving the lyrics too!
'Be out in London, Camden
Huntin’ for the answers, why did God take away the homie?
I can’t stand it
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity
Just hope the big man show me some courtesy'

Profound.

I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#39 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

I was listening to it non-stop last night when he got home sans earpiece. I didn't care. I was like a sixteen year old dancing around(no offense to the teens.didn't mean that in any other way but meaning funloving and care free). he asked me, 'who is that"? I told him that it was the 'girl that is the wallpaper on the desktop that I told u I adore'. he said, 'she has a beautiful voice'. we spent late into the night/early morning with me teaching him a course in 'Amy 101'. he asked if I had a cd of hers he could listen to. I'm blown away.

needless to say, we spent early early morning here in the US listening to the BBC program together.

confession: I had honestly kept my addiction to her and her music a bit of a secret from my husband. didn't want him to think I was a nut or immature. see what I missed out on? lesson learned.

Great story! Maybe we can welcome him soon to the forum ;)
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#40 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Well, wasn't sure I would like this at all as I'm not big into hip hop. However, I am really surprised! I absolutely love it (think I like it even better than 'Our Day Will Come'. Find her bits fabulous and actually like Nas too! Oooo - very exciting. Could listen to it again and again. Loving the lyrics too!
I can’t stand it

Profound.

Totally agree withg you Tiny Penny, I'm usually no fan of rap / hip hop either, but I think Nas is excellent here. I think Salaam Remi did a great job on the production, even though I still wish I could hear what Amy would've done with the song had she finished it.

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#41 ChipsAndPitta

ChipsAndPitta

I Told Ya I Was Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

I was a little bit skeptical of what some of these songs would be like but i have to say i am very impressed by Like Smoke. Obviously Amy sounds good but deep down we knew that would be the case anyway didn't we? I'm not the biggest rap/hip hop fan but Nas sounds good, lyrics are good and, like most hip hop tunes the melody is strong and sticks in your head. I hope it gets lots of airplay and creates a bigger buzz for the album.

Edited by ChipsAndPitta, 03 November 2011 - 09:29 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm on Twitts >>> https://twitter.com/Baris1989 <<<

#42 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Thank you MDPA for the link, and thank you Elsie for posting the lyrics!

I can’t stand it

Profound.

Totally agree with you Tiny Penny, I'm usually no fan of rap / hip hop either, but I think Nas is excellent here. I think Salaam Remi did a great job on the production, even though I still wish I could hear what Amy would've done with the song had she finished it.

Totally agree with you two!

Wow, two new songs the same day, after all those years of waiting! What a treat:D!!!

Great story, good for you:) !!
"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#43 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

although I can't detract my statement that I am not in the genre of hip hop or rap,(not sure of the difference. forgive the (mis) use of the terms), this song is playing on repeat in my head. I woke up to it this morning, chatted this afternoon with one of the members here on FB, cleaned up my house and me....and it has been on repeat, repeat, repeat in my head all the while. I can't get enough of it.

this song is intoxicating. (I mean that in a good way).

I agree that although her cover of 'our day...' is great and it is typical Amy cover....she OWNS it...I think this takes top billing of the two in my book.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#44 Gracex

Gracex

Got me addicted, does more than any dick did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN Ireland

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

I was going mad in work today trying to listen to this and it wouldn't let me!! Thanks so much:) Love it, so sad though hearing both songs, just thinking what could have come next had she been here. But grateful for anything new at the same time.

#45 Rubi

Rubi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

I really liked this. I'm happy they were able to collaborate.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users