51 replies to this topic

#16 ChipsAndPitta

ChipsAndPitta

I Told Ya I Was Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for all of your opinions, its making me more eager to listen to the whole thing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm on Twitts >>> https://twitter.com/Baris1989 <<<

#17 Juan19

Juan19

RIP AmyWinehouse. We miss you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

I still havent gotten the cd yet! this sucks!! lol No money! but its looking like a good cd! cant wait to hear it!

#18 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

Not an expert to say at which songs she is at her best, but i love listenning over and over again to Our Day Will Come, Between The Cheats, Half Time and A Song For You (esspecially the last one). My least favourite is The Girl From Ipanema.

60do5Ti.jpg

#19 Keight

Keight

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

My favourite was A Song for you, even though she slurred sometimes and it was a little hard to make out, it was so emotional and you could feel her pain as well as her helplessness especially in the way that her voice had been affected by the substance abuse, it seemed so much different, just as strong but much more raspy than in say 2007, Which I think is a shame because while I love all of Amy's performances, her voice after quitting drugs made the performance of her traditional songs so much different.

#20 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

I love the 'original' version of Tears Dry on Their Own. Pure Bacharach and David.

I don't really care for Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. And I don't think Body and Soul should be on there, but that's just me.
"I've got hair like them"

#21 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

My three favorites are "Between The Cheats", "A Song For You" and "Wake Up Alone"(yeah, I seem to prefer the saddest ones,lol).

I love "A Song for You", but I feel weird for liking it so much. Maybe because if it's one of her most intense and emotionally raw recording, vocally, technically speaking, it's far for being the best. Her voice is sometimes just a breath, and the lyrics are barely understandable sometimes... I can understand why there was so much hesitation about putting it on the record, and it's something we would never have heard had she still been alive. But I love it. I have to choose carefully the moments where I listen to it though, It's so intense emotionally.., I mean her pain is so palpable here, it's... painful. Brings tears to my eyes every time, especially the last verse.

"Between the Cheats". I didn't like it much in the beginning, because the vocals sounded weird to me, and the chorus is a bit too much. But lyrically, the "Amy touch" is definitely there, I think, and It's really a grower! And though I still think the chorus is a bit much, this song's really addictive. The chorus is stuck in my mind, and other parts of the song keep popping up in my head too.

"Wake Up Alone". The Back to Black version of WAU is one of my 5 favorites Amy songs, and though I still prefer it to the Lioness version, the latter is absolutely amazing, I think. I really really love the jazzy feel in the vocals !

My "least favorites" now. Well, I'd say "Best Friends, Right ?" and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ?".

I really like the "Best Friends, Right ?" lyrics, and I don't dislike the song, but so far, when I listen to it, I don't feel anything...

About "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ?": I really like the song, originally, and I really like the vocals, but the arrangements Mark Ronson added are way too much for me. I don't know what he wanted to do, but for me, they just don't work...
"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#22 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

My three favorites are "Between The Cheats", "A Song For You" and "Wake Up Alone"(yeah, I seem to prefer the saddest ones,lol).

I love "A Song for You", but I feel weird for liking it so much. Maybe because if it's one of her most intense and emotionally raw recording, vocally, technically speaking, it's far for being the best. Her voice is sometimes just a breath, and the lyrics are barely understandable sometimes... I can understand why there was so much hesitation about putting it on the record, and it's something we would never have heard had she still been alive. But I love it. I have to choose carefully the moments where I listen to it though, It's so intense emotionally.., I mean her pain is so palpable here, it's... painful. Brings tears to my eyes every time, especially the last verse.

"Between the Cheats". I didn't like it much in the beginning, because the vocals sounded weird to me, and the chorus is a bit too much. But lyrically, the "Amy touch" is definitely there, I think, and It's really a grower! And though I still think the chorus is a bit much, this song's really addictive. The chorus is stuck in my mind, and other parts of the song keep popping up in my head too.

"Wake Up Alone". The Back to Black version of WAU is one of my 5 favorites Amy songs, and though I still prefer it to the Lioness version, the latter is absolutely amazing, I think. I really really love the jazzy feel in the vocals !

My "least favorites" now. Well, I'd say "Best Friends, Right ?" and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ?".

I really like the "Best Friends, Right ?" lyrics, and I don't dislike the song, but so far, when I listen to it, I don't feel anything...

About "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ?": I really like the song, originally, and I really like the vocals, but the arrangements Mark Ronson added are way too much for me. I don't know what he wanted to do, but for me, they just don't work...

^^ whoa!!!! This!!!!!
^^^^^

I looove Girl from Ipanema too

<3

:)

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#23 amyisthebest

amyisthebest

his message was brutal,the delivery was kind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

My favorite song on the album is A song for you, like some people here allready mentioned, it is pure Amy, just singing with her emotions, not for a public, not for money, but just for getting some relief of her pain, by playing and singing a song.... so touching, even it is far from "perfect " sang, it is the best song on the album, cause you can feel real emotions and pain.
The least song for me is the girl from Ipanema, it is not a song that does Amy's voice get to the best. She is better in more complicated songs and lyrics.But I love the album and I"m happy that they did something for the fans, because we were waiting long time for a thirth album

#24 LauraWinehouse

LauraWinehouse

My Idol... My World.... My inspiration....Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

I love A Song For You. and again The Girl From Ipanema I'm not too keen on, but I think if I listen to it more it'll grow on me :D
We Only Say Goodbye With Words
I Died A Hundred Times
RIP Amy Winehouse
Your Forever In My Heart

VALERIE!!!!

:'-(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

nice read!!!! Amy is mentioned ;)

http://en.wikipedia....rl_from_Ipanema

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#26 Michael-19496

Michael-19496

Cherry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

I like them all but my favourite is A Song For You for sure
least favourite is Best Friends
Posted Image
Rip Amy Winehouse. 1983 - 2011
We haven't lost anyone. We've only gained an angel.

#27 amysarmynow

amysarmynow

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Favorite: Tears Dry On Their Own

Least Favorite: Like Smoke

#28 xinkoa

xinkoa

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

favourite: between the cheats, it's addictive and very amy, such a shame she is not here to see her perform these amazing tunes. least favourite: like smoke, too much rapping for me. By the way, is this the album she was recording before she died? or just material that wasn't released from previous sessions? thanks in advance and forgive my ignorance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

By the way, is this the album she was recording before she died? or just material that wasn't released from previous sessions? thanks in advance and forgive my ignorance

No, its more of a compilation album and it goes way back. Salaam Remi has said that Between The Cheats was a song for her upcoming album but that i think is pretty much it. Some of the songs are from 2002-2004 (i remember A Girl from Ipanema is from 2002)

60do5Ti.jpg

#30 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:11 AM

I've looked at this post a few times in past the but couldn't come up with the best or worst, I like them all, so I guess it's more or better...

"Between the Cheats" because the lyrics were her words from her heart, soul and thoughts and the music itself expressed the new direction that she was heading. She was in a frail state when she recorded this, but I think once she was healthier and finally got into the studio to really record the third album, this song would have been totally amazing.

I feel the same about Amy's lyrics with "Like Smoke", they did a great job mixing Nas into it but I'm always left with that wondering feeling of what emotional journey she was really planning on taking me/us on with it.

"A Song For You" is Amy in the purest form of raw, she pushes every emotional button I have while listening to her sing this song, just yanks my heart out and serves it back to me on a gold platter.

In "Body and Soul" with 'Tone', it shows that she really had the creative ability to take us back decades with the sound of her voice and that she is more than worthy of Grammy #6 for accomplishing that.

"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", as mentioned in an earlier post, I feel was a little too much over produced, I like the drums being there but wish that they used a mellower drum like kettle or even bongo.

All of the songs on this album really show how truly talented and versatile Amy was, by either serving up different arrangements of her own music or adapting others to make her own. I just wish that they would have put the album together chronologically because of the way that her voice had changed according the stages of her life, I think that would have told a story in itself.

Edited by Uno, 18 December 2011 - 02:45 PM.

Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users