185 replies to this topic

#166 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Iam devastated and angry at the same moment. my 2 favorite Divas didnt got what they deserved. But if you think, Grammy's are not that irrevelant like before. Now they give Grammy to everybody like chocolate trophy.
Whitney Houston got only 6 Grammys in her WHOLE LIFETIME, while Beyonce with shaking ass got 7 for one night does this mean Beyonce is MORE talented??? NO WAY!
Same with Adele case... she is TALENTED yes... but sorry to say, not more than ms. Winehouse... but one trophy doesnt make her more talented, sorry Adele...
Plus, Amy had her moment with Grammy Already. Amy also didnt release ANY material, since B2B, So its understandable she not get any award. Yes they should at least make a decent tribute to her, and give 5 minutes to Mitch and Janis to make a speech... But as i say, Grammys are not that serious awards anymore since 2000...
One thing i hated. They didnt mention Aaliyah also, after they mentioned people died 10 years ago...
SO, Grammys is not something i could take seriosly anymore... i even laugh when artist kinda "Lady gaga" get Grammy and they act with fake crocodile tears like they changed all the music history, how revelant they are...
God Have Mercy
Amy dont need a Grammy to be recognized...

Yeah even though i am a casual listener of Adele i think one of her biggest flaws right now is the fact that she doesn't have anything that really stands out about her---I am talking about production wise AND looks wise. She does not have that type of look that Aaliyah had when she first came out or that Amy had when she first came out. I think that is where the criticism comes from.

I am curious to see the direction she will go into on her next album.

As for the grammys, many of the awards they gave out last night were validated. I think you guys are only looking at the main awards.

Corinne Bailey Rae who is a great musician from the UK won "Best R&B Performance" and there were also many other people that won awards that deserved them. I think the main problem with the Grammys is that it does not have as many talents as it use to have.

Also neither Gaga or Nicki Minaj won any awards.

No one is saying that Adele is more talented than Amy. It just shows that she deservedly won all the awards in the categories where she was the best choice/ best artist.

As for Aaliyah she was honored at the VMAs by Janet Jackson, Missy Elliott, Timbaland, Ginuwine and her brother, Rashad. Its not like she has never been tributed. I do not think its strange that they did not mention Aaliyah because they do not necessarily have to mention her every year.

Yeah Whitney Houston has only 6 grammys but she is the most awarded female musician of ALL TIME and has over 400 awards.

I do not think they are giving away Grammys as easily that you say they are because they got the winners for most awards correct.

Like i said before no one here is really saying WHO they believe should have one those 6 awards that Adele won....if not Adele herself

Yes your correct that Amy did not need a Grammy to be recognized. I just wanted to have a great tribute on her and they could have played one of her music videos........like how they played Whitney's performance of "I will always love you" at the beginning of the show

#167 atlgafan4life

atlgafan4life

I'm not a one trick pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----

Edited by atlgafan4life, 14 February 2012 - 01:03 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bigger,Bigger,Bigger

#168 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

Overall I was disappointed in the Grammys but now realize I shouldn't have been. I haven't watched the Grammys since Amy was last nominated, so I had forgotten how crappy and commercial most of the acts are and the show overall.

I mainly wanted to see Amy and Tony's win, but that wasn't televised. But I did find clips on YouTube, which were great. Yet another confirmation that I was right to give up on watching TV a few years ago.

Adele was much better than the other acts and I enjoyed hearing her sing. She is not the creative, charismatic genius that Amy was, but she is still good. I think her popularity is a sign that there is still a hunger for the kind of music that Amy made. I don't have anything bad to say about her--she acknowledges her debt to Amy--though sometimes I get the feeling that her management has calculated a little too much how to copy and build on Amy's success, which irritates me some. There was no calculation with Amy -- she was just being herself.

I thought it was rather insulting how many times Chris Brown's name was mentioned. That kind of symbolized the bankruptcy of the show for me.

The thing to remember is that Amy is just far, far above all of this junk, so it doesn't really matter what the Grammys do or don't do. The greats aren't always fully appreciated in their time. And it's complicated in Amy's case because of all the bad publicity that arose from her personal problems. But we, her fans, know the bottom-line truth. And eventually most other musicians will fade away but Amy's greatness will endure.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#169 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:00 AM

---------- Post added 14-02-2012 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 13-02-2012 at 11:31 PM ----------

Overall I was disappointed in the Grammys but now realize I shouldn't have been. I haven't watched the Grammys since Amy was last nominated, so I had forgotten how crappy and commercial most of the acts are and the show overall.

I mainly wanted to see Amy and Tony's win, but that wasn't televised. But I did find clips on YouTube, which were great. Yet another confirmation that I was right to give up on watching TV a few years ago.

Adele was much better than the other acts and I enjoyed hearing her sing. She is not the creative, charismatic genius that Amy was, but she is still good. I think her popularity is a sign that there is still a hunger for the kind of music that Amy made. I don't have anything bad to say about her--she acknowledges her debt to Amy--though sometimes I get the feeling that her management has calculated a little too much how to copy and build on Amy's success, which irritates me some. There was no calculation with Amy -- she was just being herself.

I thought it was rather insulting how many times Chris Brown's name was mentioned. That kind of symbolized the bankruptcy of the show for me.

The thing to remember is that Amy is just far, far above all of this junk, so it doesn't really matter what the Grammys do or don't do. The greats aren't always fully appreciated in their time. And it's complicated in Amy's case because of all the bad publicity that arose from her personal problems. But we, her fans, know the bottom-line truth. And eventually most other musicians will fade away but Amy's greatness will endure.

Agree with everything you said except for the part about Adele and her management. Honestly i do not get that feeling at all that she calculates certain things. I think she really is her own person, I mean think about it she does not sound much like Amy at all.

By the way it seems that i was correct in this topic(and other topics) when i said that i believe that Adele is going to change certain things on her next record:

In the upcoming March issue of

Vogue, Adele spoke out about people’s perceptions of her, and how the topics within her songs may have gone a long way to solidify these opinions.

“Come on! I’m wifey material! I’m great. No one’s got to be brave. It’s not like, ‘You fuck me over and I’m going to write a record andmake you the most hated man in the world.' I am never writing a breakup record again, by the way. I’m done with being a bitter witch.”

While I am pretty sure people’s perceptions are not half as bad as “bitter witch,” I do understand her sentiment. Adele is a woman known for writing after breakups, which can be a great way to get over a negative experience, but can be a bad way to let the public know you are an optimistic individual.

“People think that I’m fucking miserable. They are really surprised when they meet me that I’m chatty and bubbly and kind of quite carefree really. I’m the total opposite of my records.”

The key will be writing a great record with Adele’s soulful voice that has a perky, poppy quality. I don’t know if the “Rolling in the Deep” singer has it in her, but if she does, she might find herself with some even bigger payoffs in the future. I hear Katrina and the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine” still makes like a million bucks every year.

By the way if Adele is going to be at the Brit Awards(which i am sure she is) i am certain that she will say more about Amy then she has said at shows like the VMAS and Grammys(which wasnt much at all).

I have no idea how she thinks but maybe its uncomfortable for Adele to say much about Amy because here in the states she does not have as much respect. Maybe she is more comfortable around her "own people" and will be showing more of her love for Amy at the Brit awards next week because she is more comfortable doing it there INSTEAD of doing it where Amy does not get enough respect that she should (the states)

#170 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

I don't get the feeling that Adele is calculating, but sometimes I get that feeling about her management. For example, the marketing of "21" was emphasizing that it's a break-up album and therefore something everyone can relate to. That instantly makes me think of "Back to Black". Is it just coincidence or are they taking a page from Amy? Not sure. I don't question Adele's sincerity or talent and I realize she has her own sound.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#171 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

I don't get the feeling that Adele is calculating, but sometimes I get that feeling about her management. For example, the marketing of "21" was emphasizing that it's a break-up album and therefore something everyone can relate to. That instantly makes me think of "Back to Black". Is it just coincidence or are they taking a page from Amy? Not sure. I don't question Adele's sincerity or talent and I realize she has her own sound.

Well alot of female musicians have break up albums. Back to Black was not the first break up album.

#172 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Here's another video of Mitch and Janis after the 2012 Grammy Awards
http://www.ontheredc...ideo?id=8542686

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The forum is being weird and sometimes showing blank post, I got around it by editing the original blank post and pasting my message back in and saving, hope this helps someone else
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#173 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

:heart: Janis's shirt :heart: That's so sweet!
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#174 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Got two things to say about Mitch and Janis' video on the red carpet:

Mitch looks dapper on that lovely suit, his perfectly white hair is beautiful. I find Janis incredibly sweet and endearing! So lovely to see her wearing Amy's Fred Perry collection.

Edited by PabloD, 14 February 2012 - 03:17 PM.
Blank post bug

Posted Image

#175 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

LOL..I was just gonna comment about the sweater too...we all have a keen sense of Amy...she looks good in it :) and yes, Mitch is the dapper lad :)

#176 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

The forum is being weird and sometimes showing blank post, I got around it by editing the original blank post and pasting my message back in and saving, hope this helps someone else

Yeah, that's a way around it for now.... still looking into the problem.

#177 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

:heart: Janis's shirt :heart: That's so sweet!

OMG yes!!

Mitch looks dapper on that lovely suit, his perfectly white hair is beautiful. I find Janis incredibly sweet and endearing! So lovely to see her wearing Amy's Fred Perry collection.

Completly agree..Amy deserved this grammy!!Steel can't realise that wasn't any tribute..

Miss her badly.. :S
Think about her all the time ..

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#178 paulh202

paulh202

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Totally agree! I've been lucky enough to meet Janis on a couple of occasions now and she really is a lovely woman and so unassuming and down to earth, in fact the whole group of family and friends are fantastic people, Mitch even gave me directions on how to get back to my hotel after his gig I went to on New Years eve!, I think he knew I didnt know London too well! Really nice people.

#179 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Even though, I've not met any of the Winehouses.....I do agree with you from what I've seen with interviews and etc, Mitch & Janis for me, come across to me as ordinary folk, and that's the best way to be, Amy inherited that trait :)

#180 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Even though i have defended Adele i have to admit that it kind of annoys me that she is going to have the # one album on the chart next week and is going to sell 600 thousand...

This is just getting too weird now. Like i said i like her and defended her often in the past couple of pages but selling 600 thousand next week because of her huge grammy wins just seems insincere on the part of the "fans" now . It just seems that they want her to keep performing "rolling in the deep" and "someone like you"---Like i said this is not Adele's fault at all. Its fans that act in this way.

Now i see why she said in Vogue why she is taking such a big break of 4 to 5 years( i believe she exagerrated the number of years but i see either way she means she is taking a big break). I also see why she said in that vogue interview why she is never writing a breakup song again.

This is honestly just seeming insincere now.(BY THE FANS I MEAN)

Why don't they ask her to perform songs like "Rumor Has It" and stop requesting her to play Someone like you and rolling in the deep.

I never thought i would say this for any album that sells alot but they need to SLOW DOWN. They are not going to make Adele's "21" album age well AT ALL---And like i said I like Adele.

Deep down these people are probably annoying her.

Edited by LegendJJ, 15 February 2012 - 04:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users