62 replies to this topic

#16 Jdawl

Jdawl

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

I have the 45rpm from Lioness hidden treasures. But on sleeve is written: made in the EU. I think I have the UK pressing.
What is a promotional match book ? Never seen it. if you can post a picture of it ? that will be nice.
About the picture disc Indeed very nice to have but they are not "official" released by island, I don't know who made these picture discs. I bought them in Germany.

Yep! That'd be the UK pressing! Must've got my info flipped on that. The U.S. pressing is in fact 33 1/3rpm. And the promotional match book was a match book that was given out before the release of Frank - says 'Amy Winehouse' on one side, and 'Frank' on the other. I'm off to play a show in the city right now but will post pics when I get back! And I know the picture discs were definitely pressed in Germany, along with the other unofficial release Black Is Back. It seems like a lot of copies of both also end up in Spain.

For those of you who collect vinyl, there is a local record shop that I go to that can yield some awesome finds. They don't have any Amy vinyl right now, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled, they get new vinyl, CDs, and memorabilia in all the time, so you kind of have to keep an eye on it. They're one of the few REAL record stores still around, so I love supporting them, and you can on occasion find some great obscurities and rare records at very reasonable prices.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, they do have an online store and ship internationally:

http://www.piarecords.com

I just sent them an E-mail to let me know if/when they do get any Amy vinyl in stock, so when/if I get a response, I will certainly pass that information along :)

Very cool! I live very close to Chicago, so there's tons of record stores still around. I actually work at one in Elgin, IL called Rediscover Records. We have a small mailorder site, and have Lioness and Back To Black in stock - http://www.rediscoverrecords.com/

Edited by Jdawl, 23 February 2012 - 08:47 PM.
Wrong info about vinyl pressing!

#17 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks [MENTION=2538]Jdawl[/MENTION]! I will certainly have to check that out!

#18 Simple sweet guitar

Simple sweet guitar

humbled by the bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yep! That'd be the UK pressing! Must've got my info flipped on that. The U.S. pressing is in fact 33 1/3rpm. And the promotional match book was a match book that was given out before the release of Frank - says 'Amy Winehouse' on one side, and 'Frank' on the other. I'm off to play a show in the city right now but will post pics when I get back! And I know the picture discs were definitely pressed in Germany, along with the other unofficial release Black Is Back. It seems like a lot of copies of both also end up in Spain.

I also have the 'The Best Of Amy Winehouse', I think this one is also pressed in Germany.
Attached File  DSCF0503A-1000.jpg   91.64KB   11 downloads

#19 Byron

Byron

I do a 180

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

WTF!!!! You got the 1st pressing of FRANK on LP????
WOW. Im going to find you, find where you live, blind fold you tie you up and steal it!
Id sell my ass a thousand times over to get my hands on that baby!!!!!
Good for you and well done!!!!

It's so strange. The price on Amy records fluctuates all the time. I won a first pressing of Frank that included the promotional match book for around $65. I immediately regretted it thinking I'd paid too much, but the next time I copy like that went up, it sold for $230! Same exact record/book of matches!

Those picture discs are pretty neat. I've been wondering how many of those will be released. The details are so sketchy on them, and they don't seem particularly well put together (at least in my opinion), but still very cool to have!

And keep your eyes out for Lioness! I was able to pick my copy up for $12 w/free shipping (it's a U.S.)! I've been sort of weary of trying to buy the U.K. pressing yet. I have a bad feeling that someone will mis-list it and I'll end up spending too much for another U.S.. They're the hardest to tell apart. And sort of strange. If I remember correctly, the U.S. plays at 45rpm and U.K. 33 1/3rpm. Strange.

Once is enough to make me attack!

#20 LegendaryChopChop

LegendaryChopChop

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

While I don't have any of the singles or those unofficial releases, I am completely satisfied with what I have. I have the UK version of Back to Black (superior edition and the art is better), Frank (sealed), and a copy of Lioness: Hidden Treasures (also sealed). All three of these are framed and put on my wall.

#21 Jdawl

Jdawl

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

I also have the 'The Best Of Amy Winehouse', I think this one is also pressed in Germany.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4313[/ATTACH]

You'd be correct! If anyone is looking for a copy of this, e-mail me at - the_takeouts@yahoo.com! I know a place in the U.S. that has quite a few in stock!

#22 Simple sweet guitar

Simple sweet guitar

humbled by the bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

While I don't have any of the singles or those unofficial releases, I am completely satisfied with what I have. I have the UK version of Back to Black (superior edition and the art is better), Frank (sealed), and a copy of Lioness: Hidden Treasures (also sealed). All three of these are framed and put on my wall.

Cool, my vinyls are also put on my wall, it looks great!

I'm so happy, I received 'In My Bed/You Send Me Flying' yesterday, and it is in a great condition.
Attached File  DSCF0626-800.jpg   87.28KB   12 downloads
But I don't understand why 'You Send Me Flying' is not on the vinyl. The sleeve says that 'You Send Me Flying' is on it. But I listened to it, and I only heard 3 Mixes of 'In My Bed', and the normal version of 'In My Bed'. Strange.

#23 Gus×Wino

Gus×Wino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

Cool, my vinyls are also put on my wall, it looks great!

I'm so happy, I received 'In My Bed/You Send Me Flying' yesterday, and it is in a great condition.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4348[/ATTACH]
But I don't understand why 'You Send Me Flying' is not on the vinyl. The sleeve says that 'You Send Me Flying' is on it. But I listened to it, and I only heard 3 Mixes of 'In My Bed', and the normal version of 'In My Bed'. Strange.

If you notice the pink sticker, it says the Double A-Side Single, which means that only In My Bed is featured on the record...You Sent Me Flyin' probably appeared on Double B-Side Single...

#24 Simple sweet guitar

Simple sweet guitar

humbled by the bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

If you notice the pink sticker, it says the Double A-Side Single, which means that only In My Bed is featured on the record...You Sent Me Flyin' probably appeared on Double B-Side Single...

I don't understand it. On the backside from the sleeve is written:
A1. In My Bed -Bugz in the Attic Vocal Mix
A2. You Sent Me Flying
B1. In My Bed -Bass Gangsta
B2. In My Bed -Radio Edit

#25 Gus×Wino

Gus×Wino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I don't understand it. On the backside from the sleeve is written:
A1. In My Bed -Bugz in the Attic Vocal Mix
A2. You Sent Me Flying
B1. In My Bed -Bass Gangsta
B2. In My Bed -Radio Edit

Maybe they only put the pink sticker to make it differ from the other version....I can't imagine another speculation....

#26 Jdawl

Jdawl

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

Since I don't have that specific record, I can't really weigh in on the subject. I doubt it'd be a mispressing, unless both sides are exactly the same (this does happen quite frequently. I have a Ramones 2xLP where side A is mistakenly side B, too). I'll have to do some research.

If anyone has $250+ laying around, pick up the Black Is Back that's on eBay right now! It's awesome. I wish the prices would drop for it already. I bought a copy from Germany for around $50 except the guy completely botched the shipping. It had been one of my most sought after records, and he shipped it internationally in a manila envelope. All 4 corners of the LP were completely annihilated. Boo.

#27 northernsky

northernsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

I bought a copy from Germany for around $50 except the guy completely botched the shipping. It had been one of my most sought after records, and he shipped it internationally in a manila envelope. All 4 corners of the LP were completely annihilated. Boo.

You're lucky, the last 'mint condition' LP I bought from Germany, the seller proceeded to wrap it in a German daily newspaper - it arrived with black ink marks all over the cover.:nonchalance:

#28 Jdawl

Jdawl

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

You're lucky, the last 'mint condition' LP I bought from Germany, the seller proceeded to wrap it in a German daily newspaper - it arrived with black ink marks all over the cover.:nonchalance:

Oh God! That's terrible! I don't understand how someone could ship a record like that. It takes basic common sense. I know a lot of people who've started using (UNUSED) 14" pizza boxes, and filling it with either packing peanuts, or crushed up newspaper (as long as it's in a poly-sleeve). That's actually how my copy of Frank arrived. Mind if I ask what LP it was?? Just always curious :)

I DID just buy some test presses by a band I love called the Replacements from a German vendor. Records were supremely packed, and he left a very friendly note (albeit in broken English). Just the risk you take, I guess.

#29 northernsky

northernsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Oh God! That's terrible! I don't understand how someone could ship a record like that. It takes basic common sense. I know a lot of people who've started using (UNUSED) 14" pizza boxes, and filling it with either packing peanuts, or crushed up newspaper (as long as it's in a poly-sleeve). That's actually how my copy of Frank arrived. Mind if I ask what LP it was?? Just always curious :)

I DID just buy some test presses by a band I love called the Replacements from a German vendor. Records were supremely packed, and he left a very friendly note (albeit in broken English). Just the risk you take, I guess.

You may indeed ask, it was Down in Albion by Babyshambles (featuring that naughty n'er do well, Peter Doherty). It just puzzled me that someone who had bothered to keep his vinyl in pristine/unplayed condition would think wrapping them in newspapers was a good idea. At least I already had one copy and had decided to buy this one as a 'back-up'.
I love The Replacements and have everything they ever did, along with many live recordings. The last Paul Westerberg thing I bought was the mysterious 'Grandpaboy's Last Stand' 7", which came with a link to download an album's worth of extra noodling. You may well have that, seeing as you're buying test pressings! Saddened to hear that Slim Dunlap had a stroke recently, though I hear he's on the mend again now at least.
As this isn't very Amy-related, I'll slip in a question I have - Has anyone bought the UK vinyl Back To Black LP from Universal in the last year or two, who can confirm if they're still selling it with the Brits 2007 sticker on or not? I came across one retalier who still has several copies abvailable like this, and wasn't sure whether it was old stock or still being produced like that.

#30 Jdawl

Jdawl

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

You may indeed ask, it was Down in Albion by Babyshambles (featuring that naughty n'er do well, Peter Doherty). It just puzzled me that someone who had bothered to keep his vinyl in pristine/unplayed condition would think wrapping them in newspapers was a good idea. At least I already had one copy and had decided to buy this one as a 'back-up'.
I love The Replacements and have everything they ever did, along with many live recordings. The last Paul Westerberg thing I bought was the mysterious 'Grandpaboy's Last Stand' 7", which came with a link to download an album's worth of extra noodling. You may well have that, seeing as you're buying test pressings! Saddened to hear that Slim Dunlap had a stroke recently, though I hear he's on the mend again now at least.
As this isn't very Amy-related, I'll slip in a question I have - Has anyone bought the UK vinyl Back To Black LP from Universal in the last year or two, who can confirm if they're still selling it with the Brits 2007 sticker on or not? I came across one retalier who still has several copies abvailable like this, and wasn't sure whether it was old stock or still being produced like that.

Whoa! That's a pricey record, as well. That's such a shame. I've always thought about searching out another copy of Black Is Back. I searched for a cheap-ish copy for so long, and to have it come in that condition just plain sucked. I haven't seen one listed for under $200 since. I've got the translucent brown - there's a black on eBay right now for around $250. I guess I'll come across one again someday.

That's awesome!! Oddly enough, I never thought I'd meet another 'Mats fan on the AWF board (nothing against the board)!! I actually don't have any of the Westerberg vinyl yet - I just got back from a small tour with my band and found the 7" he'd released a few years ago, but didn't have any cash on me. I've been looking for a cheap copy of the Open Soundtrack 10" for a while. My boss at the record store I work at has it and says it's great. I actually bought the test pressings out of a sort-of guilt trip! They'd been listed on Musicstack for quite some time, and I ended up getting into negotiations with the seller. I figured jump on them when they were semi-reasonable before I never saw them again. Ended up paying $156 (including shipping) for test presses of Sorry Ma Forgot To Take Out The Trash, Stink, and Hootenanny. I didn't think that was TOO bad. And I agree - super sad to hear about Slim. Hope he's doing alright :/. Did you ever listen to his solo stuff??

And now the related AW question! I've actually been thinking the same. The day after she passed away, I finally found a copy of B2B (US pressing) in a record store in Green Bay, WI. I was amazed to find it sealed/new with the smaller parental advisory in the lower right corner notorious of first pressings. I got back into town, and finally convinced my boss to order about half a dozen copies. The copies we received were, in fact, the repress with the larger advisory in the left corner. Those sold out almost immediately, so we order half a dozen more. This time, 6 copies with the small advisory in the right corner popped up. Ever since then, we keep receiving copies of the latter. I've been assuming it's new old stock, but I really have no clue. Strange to hear it's happening with the UK press, too. It'd a shame for everyone who's been bidding heavily on eBay for 'first pressing's if there's something fishy going on with Universal.

And I've actually never listened to Babyshambles. Anything that would be particularly good to give a try??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: record collection, vinyl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users