36 replies to this topic

#16 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

I love her version so much. I think you have to be a Winehouse fan to truly "get it" :)

Posted Image
Amy J. Winehouse

1983 -

#17 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

I actually loved that recording. I get that she sounded slurred and everything but it took "cry if I want to" to a whole other level and I loved it. It was almost as if she got wasted at her own party because of what was going on.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#18 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

I actually loved that recording. I get that she sounded slurred and everything but it took "cry if I want to" to a whole other level and I loved it. It was almost as if she got wasted at her own party because of what was going on.

I thought the same thing.

"Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin' by..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 dunkinz

dunkinz

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

Yes [MENTION=1168]ohmr[/MENTION] I thought the same thing too. When I listened to the song, it's more likely that Amy wrecked her own party and her bf REALLY cheated on her. I mean she's really living up to the song. Duh. Sometimes people just don't get it. At least she SINGS and better than anyone on US chart right now..
You're wondering now, what to do.. Now you know this is the end.
You're wondering how, you will pay for the way you misbehaved.

I will love you forever Amy Jade x

#20 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I never liked listening to this song...can't put my finger on it, but I do appreciate how she can make a song pretty autobiographical...

#21 JackofHearts

JackofHearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

I love It's My Party! She does sound a bit incoherent in the chorus, but her voice is brilliant and the Cockney banter is a nice touch :D I remember being really happy about that cover when it came out, it was exciting to hear how her voice was very much still there.

The only thing I wish is that I could understand her monologue better, but that has nothing to do with drugs - it's just the way she talks! I can tell that she really liked working on this project. Plus, the production from Mark is top-notch. Real Motown sound, here.

That is my favorite part of the entire song!! I love it because it's her words and her ideas. I've always wondered if she had just come up with it and said "Hey, how 'bout we add a verse here?" or if it was a planned thing where they came up with it far in advance.

Love it:
"Judy, you know you understand, but all good things must come to an end. And don't you know that sisters come before carpet burns and blisters. I learned the hard way again."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#22 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

I too love her take on the classic. In fact, the original is too saccharin sweet for me - i like Amy's rough edge on it. Particularly the monologue....sisters come before carpet burns and blisters! She is such a crack up! LOL

#23 dunkinz

dunkinz

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

what's the meaning of "sisters come before carpet burns and blisters" ?
You're wondering now, what to do.. Now you know this is the end.
You're wondering how, you will pay for the way you misbehaved.

I will love you forever Amy Jade x

#24 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

It's like "bros before hoes", it means that a girlfriend of hers (Judy) put sex before their friendship by sleeping with her boy. Sisters should be looking out for each other, not stealing each other's boyfriends...

#25 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

That is my favorite part of the entire song!! I love it because it's her words and her ideas. I've always wondered if she had just come up with it and said "Hey, how 'bout we add a verse here?" or if it was a planned thing where they came up with it far in advance.

Love it:
"Judy, you know you understand, but all good things must come to an end. And don't you know that sisters come before carpet burns and blisters. I learned the hard way again."

I thought it was "Judy, you know you my best friend"? Anyway, I think it's interesting that she associated carpet burns with cheating both in this song and in "You Know I'm No Good".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#26 JackofHearts

JackofHearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I thought it was "Judy, you know you my best friend"? Anyway, I think it's interesting that she associated carpet burns with cheating both in this song and in "You Know I'm No Good".

You know, now that you said that and I listened to that part a couple more times I think you're right. I guess it does make more sense. They're best friends but because she ran away with her man their friendship is over. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I wonder if she has some sort of experience with carpet burns and that's why she connected it with cheating..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

I love the song, always been a favourite of mine and I think Amy does a real good job. I especially love her telling off to 'Judy' (the bitch) because it never fails to make me smile and is so very, very Amy! :)
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#28 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

You know, now that you said that and I listened to that part a couple more times I think you're right. I guess it does make more sense. They're best friends but because she ran away with her man their friendship is over. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I wonder if she has some sort of experience with carpet burns and that's why she connected it with cheating..

Her voice goes so low on the last words of that part that it's a bit hard to hear but yeah, I think that's what it is! I just love it though. It's little twists like that monologue that helped her make any song her own.

And that's what I was thinking. I don't think it's a common association that everyone has so maybe that part of "YKING" was truly autobiographical. We know she was a very honest songwriter but you never know how honest, you know?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

I love the song, always been a favourite of mine and I think Amy does a real good job. I especially love her telling off to 'Judy' (the bitch) because it never fails to make me smile and is so very, very Amy! :)

Haha, I always hated the oldies version when I was a kid because my mom's name is Judy and I thought the singer of the song was being mean to her. Your post just reminded me of that!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 MandyP

MandyP

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Amy and Mark Ronson can do no wrong in my eyes. Love it!

#30 porgy_bess

porgy_bess

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

This version is totally AMYLICIOUS. She made it on her own. Very groovy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users