Photo
- - - - -

Amy Winehouse: A family portrait at the Jewish Museum in Camden!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#16 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I like the idea of the suitcase...

This (unlike Lioness Hidden Treasures), I think, Amy would be proud of.

#17 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

A little bit more info about some of Amy's belongings that will be on display ...

A rare chance to explore Amy Winehouse’s Jewish family roots

Posted Image

Amy Winehouse’s battered black suitcase is crammed with photos of her family and friends. There is the red jumper she wore as her Sylvia Young School uniform with her name label, as well as her record collection, passes for gigs and her first guitar. These are just a few of the intimate objects on show at Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait at London’s Jewish Museum in Camden, where Winehouse lived, that have been lovingly put together by her brother Alex and his wife Riva, just two years since she died in 2011.

Other photos will be dotted around the gallery including the singer at her flat in Camden, in 2004, standing in front of her mantle piece with photos of her dad Mitch and brother Alex as a baby, as well as Vogue covers. There is a photo of a young Amy at her grandmother Cynthia’s flat in London’s Southgate – she was very close to her stylish “nan” who influenced her distinctive style.

A selection of her paperback books have been gathered together: Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson, The Nabokov-Wilson Letters and Notes of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski. Her favourite book was Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold – a historical murder mystery set in the jazz age, as well as Snoopy Stars as the Fitness Freak by Charles M. Schulz. Songs from a track list she wrote aged 14 will be played in the gallery: Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Pearl Jam, The Offspring, as well as “So Far Away” by Carole King, which was played at her funeral.

There are a few objects from her last home in Camden Square – a wooden chest in which she kept crossword and Sudoku puzzle books in and cheesy fridge magnets. An essay she wrote at the Sylvia Young School reveals her desire to sing and allow people to forget their troubles.

“We will get visitors who would not usually come to the Jewish Museum,” says Elizabeth Selby, curator at the museum, “who will be able to explore her strong family Jewish roots.”

‘Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait’, Jewish Museum, London, NW1, 3 July to 15 September (jewishmuseum.org.uk/Amy)

http://www.independe...ts-8666895.html

Also, here's a link to the Press Release (PDF) from the Jewish Museum site ...
http://jewishmuseum....ss_Release_.pdf

Edited by Uno, 22 June 2013 - 05:59 AM.

Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#18 dunkinz

dunkinz

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

how I wish can be there during that times!! I feel like I can feel the atmosphere right now.
You're wondering now, what to do.. Now you know this is the end.
You're wondering how, you will pay for the way you misbehaved.

I will love you forever Amy Jade x

#19 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

So I'm hopefully gonna be around London for internship interviews this Summer so hoping I'm gonna have time to go. :D

#20 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Jewish Museum London - Amy Winehouse Slideshow

Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#21 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm old and boring so I listen to Radio 4, and lo and behold, yesterday evening on Front Row (arts reviews/interviews radio programme) they had Patti Smith briefly talking about Amy followed by a review of the exhibition at the Jewish Museum. You can listen to it on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._on_Wikileaks./

Skip to around 12:30 for the part about Amy

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#22 scottsimpson16

scottsimpson16

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Sounds amazing! Id love to go to this but Im out of the country :(

#23 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

http://www.independe...um-8683105.html

Amy Winehouse exhibition opens at the Jewish Museum

ROBERT DEX TUESDAY 02 JULY 2013

An exhibition about the life of Amy Winehouse has opened streets away from where she died aged 27.

The Jewish Museum in London's Camden Town has worked with her family to gather the star's clothes, record collection and dozens of photographs for the show.

The exhibits, put together with the help of her brother Alex, include fridge magnets, childhood books and her audition essay to the Sylvia Young stage school.

There is also a suitcase of family photographs she was looking through in the days before she died in her Camden Town home in 2011.

Many of the items have captions written by Alex.

He said: "This is a snapshot of a girl who was, to her deepest core, simply a little Jewish kid from north London with a big talent who, more than anything, just wanted to be true to her heritage."

The exhibition includes photographs of her grandmother who influenced her sense of style and exhibits that show the family's "Jewish-London roots".

It traces those roots back to the singer's great-great grandparents who left Belarus in the 19th century and came to London by accident having meant to go to the United States.

The museum's chief executive, Abigail Morris, said the idea for the exhibition came about after the family offered one of her dresses for its permanent display.

She said: "They just came with a dress and thought this would be a lovely place for it and it grew organically from that."

Ms Morris said she hoped it would show another side to the troubled Back To Black singer who fought a public battle with drink and drugs before her early death.

She said: "Everyone thinks they know who Amy Winehouse is and they've seen the pictures, but actually she is somebody's little sister.

"I think this exhibition is saying this is the story of somebody who was very loved as opposed to someone who was very famous."

:: Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait runs from tomorrow to September.

PA

Attached Files

Edited by Tara, 02 July 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#24 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Glastonbury Dress, Family Photos & Those Ballet Pumps: Amy Winehouse's Life Put On Display At New Exhibition

Amy Winehouse will be seen like never before at a special exhibition housed at the Jewish Museum in Camden, which showcases the late singer's most treasured belongings from both her family life and career, as the second anniversary of her death approaches.

The 'Tears Dry On Their Own' singer, who died on July 27, 2011, was clearly somewhat of a hoarder judging by the irreplaceable items found at the brand new exhibition, 'Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait,' which opens to the public tomorrow.

Organised by Amy's older brother Alex and his wife Riva, the effort and emotions which went into the display is evident as hundreds of vintage vinyl records, school photos, uniforms and even a large family tree stemming back to when Harris Winehouse accidentally arrived in the UK instead of New York.

Posted Image The dress Amy wore for her Glastonbury festival performance in 2008 (Alicia Adejobi)

EntertainmentWise spoke to the museum's director Abigail Morris, who explained how her collaboration with Alex on the exhibition came about.

“I think it happened quite organically, it wasn't a pre-meditated decision. What happened was they came in and asked if we would like a dress. I talked to Alex and Riva and said it would be nice to have a few objects with her dress, and then he said it would be great to have an exhibition,” Morris said.

Perhaps most touching is the snippets from the audition essay which Amy wrote for the Sylvia Young Theatre School, which were spread across the room, and proved exactly how feisty yet intelligent a young Amy was.

“All my life I have been loud to the point of being told to shut up. The only reason I have had to be this loud is because you have to scream to be heard in my family. My family? Yes, you read it right! My mum's side is perfectly fine, my dad's family are the singing, dancing, all nutty musical extravaganza,” Amy wrote.

Posted Image
Part of Amy's audition essay for the Sylvia Young theatre school (Alicia Adejobi)

Charming! Showing her tenacious spirit, Amy poignantly continued: “I've been told I was gifted with a lovely voice and I guess my dad's to blame for that. Although unlike my dad and his background and ancestors, I want to do something with these talents I've been 'blessed' with.”

Alongside heartfelt and sometimes funny messages written by her brother Alex, other items spread around the room include a rather snazzy guitar which he says is actually rubbish, notable outfits from her wardrobe including those infamous pink ballet pumps which she was often spotted wearing on nights out in her beloved Camden, the blue sequinned dress she wore for her Glastonbury festival performance in 2008 and backstage passes from other gigs.

Morris admits that the whole process of sifting through Amy's belongings was, as expected, very emotional for Alex.

“It's been very moving the whole thing and it was hard for him sometimes as well as being funny. He's not overly sentimental and he really knew Amy and he tells it like it is. Some of the things even he was surprised at discovering! He was surprised at what a hoarder she was!” Morris told us.

Posted Image
Amy Winehouse's post humous Grammy Award. She has won six in total (Alicia Adejobi)

Moving around the room and glancing at the unseen objects, it's clear to see that Amy was very much dedicated to her family life as she was her career.

One particularly touching quote from her Sylvia Young essay read: “But mostly I have this dream to be very famous. To work on stage. It's a life-long ambition. I want people to hear my voice and just forget their troubles for five minutes.”

And the shiny gold plated Grammy award positioned not too far away from this quote proved Amy did achieve her life-long dream.

http://www.entertain...-New-Exhibition

A few more display photos ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Uno, 02 July 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#25 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

I agree with Alex when he said Amy wouldn't care for this exhibit much... where's a pic of the ballet pumps?

#26 AnnaAnna

AnnaAnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'll be there next week.....:-)!

#27 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

It looks so great. I think it's a wonderful, very well executed idea and a fitting tribute. Much nicer to see her things on display rather than being auctioned off.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#28 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

If I was living in the UK...you betcha yer boots I'd been going to see this exhibit and learn and enjoy it !! So, since I 'm not there , I'll have to take the tour thru your stories, pix, internet version of it, but I'm there in spirit, and it's almost as good as being there literally :)

#29 Mint

Mint

This me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I'm old and boring so I listen to Radio 4, and lo and behold, yesterday evening on Front Row (arts reviews/interviews radio programme) they had Patti Smith briefly talking about Amy followed by a review of the exhibition at the Jewish Museum. You can listen to it on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._on_Wikileaks./

Skip to around 12:30 for the part about Amy

I`m old and boring and heard this too. Old and boring high 5???

Edited by Mint, 02 July 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#30 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

other views
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

video
http://www.usatoday..../07/02/2485041/

another video shows school uniform
http://www.itv.com/n...seum-in-camden/

Edited by allisost, 03 July 2013 - 03:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users