Photo
- - - - -

Amy Winehouse: A family portrait at the Jewish Museum in Camden!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

I finally got to see it on Wednesday, and am so glad I did. The exhibition was lovely, as was the museum and the people who work there. And I loved being in Camden. Until now I've only seen the touristy side, but now finally I understand why Amy loved being there. Though I grew up in London, I haven't lived there in over 20 years and kind of hate it now. However, walking in Amy's footsteps reminded me of my youth, why I relate to her and what's great about my hometown.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#77 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

just been.

it was nice and intimate and tastefully done.

Well done Alex.

#78 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Just ran across this great write up about the authors visit to the Jewish Museum ...

http://lifestyle.inq...y-amy-winehouse
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#79 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

http://i40.tinypic.com/3el2s.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2dt9atk.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

The dress...
http://i44.tinypic.com/wl7tat.jpg

When you see that dress it so simple but she made that dress look like a million dollars :-)

#80 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

My review... http://tarahanks.com...amily-portrait/
Posted Image

#81 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

My review... http://tarahanks.com...amily-portrait/

Lovely write up [MENTION=422]Tara[/MENTION]!

Off topic, but was looking around your website - are your books available to buy (hardcopy or e-book)?

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#82 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Lovely write up [MENTION=422]Tara[/MENTION]!

Off topic, but was looking around your website - are your books available to buy (hardcopy or e-book)?

Thank you Cecilia! Unfortunately they're both currently out of print, but I'm working on getting them reissued. If you like, I could message you when they're ready? :)
Posted Image

#83 Cecilia

Cecilia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

^that would be great, thanks @Tara! I'm sure some others on the forum would be interested in reading them too :-)

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#84 Hanna

Hanna

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

http://www.studiodiem.co.uk/neo.php#

#85 DeeDaw

DeeDaw

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Wow.... this exhibition...... Here is a message I wrote for the Amy Winehouse Foundation after my visit to the exhibition

Hi

I felt compelled to email you after my weekend in London for #Amys30.

My name is Dee and Im 30 and from Ireland. I have been a massive massive fan of Amy since 2006. Her music spoke to me in a way no ones ever had before, the power of her voice and her lyrics moved me so much. She put me on a massive musical journey into soul, blues & jazz... a journey that I continue to explore and always will.

And her style, like for many others I would say, encouraged me to be more expressive and more of an individual. She inspired me to be true to who I am and what I feel and like. Her being the same age as me always spoke to me as well.

Also, Amy was introduced to me by my best friend Gary. Me and Gary shared a love for Amy. It was one of the things we bonded over and I remember spending a christmas with Gary in his apartment in Sydney Australia dancing around to Amy as we made the Christmas dinner.

As the years went on, it always saddened me to see how Amy was portrayed and completely and utterly hounded by the press. I know I didn't know her but I "felt" like I knew her through her music and the fact that seeing her interviewed, she was a girl who was wore her heart on her sleeve. A real girl, an old soul, a girl who was a musician and that was what she wanted, not fame, not fortune, just to make music.

Her death upset me and I felt we had lost someone great very young. I remember saying talking to Gary about it and saying how sad it was. But her death for me was overshadowed as two months later I lost Gary to addiction. Recovering from Garys death has been an on-going process, something I still deal with to this day.

So it felt right to head to Camden for #Amys30 and do my own thing to celebrate my love for Amy in my own way. I did one or two things that I quite enjoyed. It was nice to see so much in Camden for Amy.

But yesterday something happened, that made me want to write this email.

At 11.30am I arrived at the Jewish museum for the exhibitoin "Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait" the final part of my "Amy" weekend. This was the part of the weekend I was looking forward to the most. I had read about how her brother and sister in law Alex & Riva had curated and picked every piece that was to be on display.

I took my time walking around, taking in all Amys things, her guitars, her books, her vinyls & CDs, fridge magnets, photos, ballet pumps, her dresses and headscraves. I read every description that Alex had put with every piece and suddenly, near the end, got completely overwhelmed. I felt the room spinning a bit and had to ask my boyfriend suddenly if we could leave. Once outside, I completely broke down. I cried so much, so hard for Amy.

The realism of what happened not to "Amy Winehouse" as we all know her, but to this poor girl, this poor human being inflicted with addiction really hit home. Having seen her things in papers, magazines for so many years, it wasnt until I saw things like her headscraves and dresses there in front of me that it really made it real to me what happened.

On the way in I read that one of things Alex wanted to show in this exhibition that to the Winehouses, Amy was just another member of the family, no more important than anyone else in that family. Just another daughter/sister. And this is what he did. The love and pain that Alex feels was so beautifully shown in his descriptions.

I felt with my tears yesterday I grieved a bit for Amy and again for my friend Gary. Addiction is such a horrible disease that not only inflicts the person suffering from it, but all those around the sufferer. What you are doing here, with The Amy Winehouse Foundation is such an amazing amazing thing, to turn such a tragic death of someone you loved so much into such a positive experience for everyone who benefits from the foundation.

I want to congratulate you on the beautiful job you have done in honouring the memory of such a beautiful beautiful soul.

Dee xxxx

#86 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I saw the exhibition 12th of Sept. Well, it was quite small (not so many objects) but intimate and tastefully done and I got to know something new :) (among others that she liked Snoopy and Charles Bukowski's novels). I found the Glastonbury blue dress amazing - no picture can give it justice. Amys two empty vintage birdcages you could see while leaving the room were beautiful and symbolic. And last but not least... there were so many cards left by fans, touching.

In the museum's bookshop there were Amy notebooks with her lyrics on the cover and empty pages to fill, nice souvenir.

Probably the exhibition will be shown in other country in the coming months/years? I hope so.

PS I was in the Madame Tussaud's 8th Sept.(sunday) and there was no Amy wax figure; probably it went to the maintenance that day - I was so angry... argghhh... At least they were playing "Valerie" in the music stars part of the gallery.
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#87 Cecilia

Cecilia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

PS I was in the Madame Tussaud's 8th Sept.(sunday) and there was no Amy wax figure; probably it went to the maintenance that day - I was so angry... argghhh... At least they were playing "Valerie" in the music stars part of the gallery.

The waxwork is on loan to Mme Tussaud's in Blackpool until the end of this year, you must have just missed it because it only went on display there this weekend

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#88 oscar_lars

oscar_lars

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

I do not know if you noticed that but in the Glastonbury blue dress were locked some hair, could be of her? who knows
Forever trusting who we are... and nothing else matters

#89 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

went on the last day and it was packed full of people. really lovely exhibition. emotional.

#90 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I do not know if you noticed that but in the Glastonbury blue dress were locked some hair, could be of her? who knows

Yeah, you right. It reminded me of this one:

Posted Image

Edited by ancre, 19 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users