#31 Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:23 AM

Roger Moore didn't get it either:
The Bond star is puzzled by the namecheck in new track You Know I'm No Good, because he has no idea what she's singing about. He says, "I've heard the song and I found it a little confusing. "I believe the lyrics are: 'Cause you're my fella, my guy/Hand me your Stella and fly/By the time I'm out the door/You're 10 men down like Roger Moore.' "I've no idea what it means! Answers on a postcard please."
http://www.contactmu...e moore_1040010

thatrs; so fgunny.

#32 nataliexhorror

nataliexhorror

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Actually Roger Moore is a music journalist who slated amy a while back hence the line "you tear men down like roger moore".
Shes trying to say you put people down the way roger moore did to her.

#33 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

Actually, he wrote the article in May 2007, after the album's release..http://stuckbetweenstations.org/category/playlists/

I think she's referring to the Bond character!

edit----damn link, sorry

#34 lnz

lnz

I'll buy the Rizla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hey what about in Me & Mr Jones what does she mean "rulers one thing but come brixton" ??? WTF is that??

#35 Josh

Josh

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hey what about in Me & Mr Jones what does she mean "rulers one thing but come brixton" ??? WTF is that??

There's a whole story about this song. It's about the rapper Nas, who's full name is Nasir Jones hence Mr. Jones.

I can't find that interview anymore where Amy told that she had a friend who could put her on the guest list for concerts so she'd come in for free. One time something went wrong and she didn't get in to the Slick Rick gig (his nickname is The Ruler). Afterwards Nas was to have a gig at Brixton Academy, hence "The Ruler's one thing, but come Brixton...."

9 and 14 refers to the birthday of Amy and Nas that they both share. There was something about Destiny too which I think is Nas' daughter but I don't remember exactly anymore. Maybe someone has the actual interview. I know there was a post about this whole thing on here, but my search yielded no results.

#36 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

I didn't know The Ruler was his nickname, and was wondering what ruler was referring to. Now everything in the song makes sense. Thanks!

#37 lnz

lnz

I'll buy the Rizla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Yeah that makes sense now thanks for clearing that up...and I knew there was another part in there I was confused about but I forgot what it was so thanks for throwing the destiny and 9 and 14 in there...I dont know if destiny could be his daughter though because she says "Mr. Destiny"...I think I'll go hunt around for that post you're talking about.

#38 Josh

Josh

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

I didn't know The Ruler was his nickname, and was wondering what ruler was referring to. Now everything in the song makes sense. Thanks!

Well the full version is actually RICK THE RULER :lol:

#39 Merge

Merge

Once A Tickle, Now A Rash...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

footwear. in the US a pump is a heel, but i've seen people here refer to her ballet flats as pumps as well. F me pumps is an expression for a foxy pair of sexy high heels, which give a woman a certain body language. hope this helps!!!

Yeah Pumps is also kinda chavvy slang for shoes, along with daps :P haha oh Britishness xD

Yeah back to You Know I'm No Good, I guess you can see it two ways - "you tear ME down like Roger Moore,"
you get under my skin and get to me like Bond...
OR
"you tear MEN down like Roger Moore,"
like you hunt/chase/kill my boyfriends like James Bond

When I first heard No Good, I thought she sang "and sniff me out like I was TAKE-AWAY..." didn't get that, but clearly it IS TANQUERAY, which makes sense... and some dappy git on youTube seemed to think she couldn't speak properly, and was singing "your rolled up sleeves and your skirt too short..."

Mis-hearing song lyrics is funny
  • Love is a losing game likes this

#40 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

HAHAHA Blake.. your skirt's just too damn short man.. put some clothes on! :lol: :lol:

#41 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

[attachment=1703] pls indulge me here, but "your rolled up sleeves..." always conjures up this image of Paul Simonon of The Clash

#42 Merge

Merge

Once A Tickle, Now A Rash...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

pls indulge me here, but "your rolled up sleeves..." always conjures up this image of Paul Simonon of The Clash

Tbh that's what I imagine, a very rock 'n' roll image (lol didn't even know who he was, Paul Simonon) mind I was imagining it more slightly indie, like these hoodies with all them little skulls on them

#43 brando

brando

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

ok dont know if this is the right place to post this but i have a few doubts and mybe some of you could clear them for me. first in wake up alone what does 'I do a 180' means?. Then in no good when she says sweet reunion jamaica and spain... what is dhe talking about? and about the roger moore line..i think it's defenetly tear men down, and she's talking about bond of course..

#44 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

Doing a 180 is as in making a 180 degree turn, turning around and going the opposite way. (I'm sure someone else can explain this better)
Sweet reunion, don't have an explanation for that one.

#45 brando

brando

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users