#136 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

http://www.soultrack...ul-bossa-nostra

- there are 3 comments underneath this article, and they all strongly diss the album...

If a musicologist stated that Quincy Jones never produced a bad album, there probably wouldn't be too many dissenting voices. That's a remarkable statement considering Jones' six decades in the music business. Of course, legends like Frank Sinatra don't work with sloppy people, and those are the kind of A-list talents who called on Q over the course of the last six decades. Still, there was much trepidation when Jones announced that he planned to produce an album of remakes of some of his classic songs from the 1960s through the 1990s. People (including a few Soultrackers) saw the list of contemporary R&B and hip-hop artists that Jones recruited to this project and started to fret.

Jones has never had difficulty recruiting top-flight talent to work on the jazz and soul/funk/hip-hop projects that he has been crafting since the 1970s. Look at this roll call of hall of fame talent who have worked with Jones from the 1970s through the 2000s: Leon Ware, Minnie Ripperton, Bernard Igher, Patty Austin, James Ingram, Barry White, El DeBarge, Michael Jackson, Chaka Khan and George Benson, to name a few. In terms of star power, the artists who flocked to be a part of Q: Soul Bossa Nostra definitely measures up: Jamie Foxx, Ludacris, Mary J. Blige, Amy Winehouse, Robin Thicke, L.L. Cool J, Snoop Dogg, Wyclef Jean, Jennifer Hudson. That list includes Grammy and Oscar Winners and platinum record sellers.
Truth is that the worst fears of many of the critics of Q: Soul Bossa Nostra were not realized. It is also true that Q: Soul Bossa Nostra is not 100 percent satisfying. You can count on one hand, the number of music people who possess Jones' understanding of how to merge jazz and the musical styles of the post-jazz era and ability to come up with work that receives near unanimous commercial and critical praise. And Jones also has an eye and ear for talent. If Jones wants to work with an artist, then it's fair to conclude that artist is talented.
So it's safe to conclude that any shortcomings found in Q: Soul Bossa Nostra aren't found in the artists. The problem is that Jones has to compete with himself. Q: Soul Bossa Nostra is ultimately a covers album. Jones made or produced these songs over the course of five decades. All remakes inevitably get compared to the originals, and it is in that comparison where Q: Soul Bossa Nostra turns out to be an uneven if ambitious work. Don't get it twisted, Jones and his collaborators definitely nail several of the tunes on this album. However, there are an equal number of misses. There's no rhyme or reason, no discernable patterns as to why some tunes work and others don't.
For example, the Ludacris, Naturally 7, Randy Currence reimagining of "Soul Bossa Nostra," stands as one of the high points. The "Austin Powers" films made this tune famous as an instrumental. The remake combines Ludacris's clever raps with the daring harmonizing of Naturally 7 to create an entertaining mix. On the other hand, the dance version of "You Put A Move on My Heart," drains the passion from the song (despite Jennifer Hudson's lovely vocals). The same can be said for the forgettable remake of "Secret Garden." No, I can't say it's forgettable because I'll remember Usher, Robin Thicke, Tyrese, Tevin Campbell and L.L. Cool J singing or rapping the song to the beat of "Planet Rock," no matter how hard I try to forget. But just when you're ready to give up, BeBe Winans, Mary J. Blige, Amy Winehouse and John Legend give jaw dropping interpretations of "Everything Must Change," "Betcha Wouldn't Hurt Me," "It's My Party" and "Tomorrow."
In the end though, Q: Soul Bossa Nostra is a record that proves just how hard it is for even the legendary Quincy Jones to improve upon perfection. Moderately Recommended.

Edited by suestev07, 19 November 2010 - 01:17 AM.

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#137 doughnout peach

doughnout peach

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

I have no words to thank this girl for her voice and beautiful soul, thank you once more, my jazz lady. It's an honour to listen to you again.
doughnout peach, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Aug 2007.

What do you expect from me?To hold your head above the sea?
Miz R talking to her sister,Mags: You've got style

#138 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

Yay! It's Ruth! Glad you still love her!

#139 doughnout peach

doughnout peach

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Of course! That voice is unique, my friend.
doughnout peach, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Aug 2007.

What do you expect from me?To hold your head above the sea?
Miz R talking to her sister,Mags: You've got style

#140 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

I think the new song is perfection. It grows on you. Wow.
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#141 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

http://bossip.com/31...ancy-huh-90210/

another version of Quincy on Amy:

Rap Up: What did you think of Amy Winehouse’s cover of “It’s My Party”?
Quincy Jones: It’s Amy Winehouse [laughs and imitates her singing]. That’s her. And she hasn’t recorded in three or four years. She was very sweet. We did a concert for [Nelson] Mandela. It was his 90th birthday in London. I was going to introduce Leona Lewis and after I got backstage this man came over to me and said, “Would you say hello to my daughter?” and his daughter was Amy Winehouse. She knew all the records I’ve done with Dinah Washington back to when she was 24, her age. I was very impressed that she was so cognizant of what went on back then. There’s a sweet thing in there, with all the other stuff that’s happening, there’s a sort of sweetness and a smartness in her. I think it’s a very healthy association. I used to do it when I was young, with Duke Ellington and [Count] Basie and so forth, and it made sense. I was very flattered.

Edited by suestev07, 23 November 2010 - 05:14 PM.

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#142 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

There’s a sweet thing in there, with all the other stuff that’s happening, there’s a sort of sweetness and a smartness in her. I think it’s a very healthy association.

A wise observation if ever there was one. To have such a wise man and a music legend as a friend is an honour and a blessing for Amy, and she thoroughly deserves the love and the praise. It seems Mr. Jones helps Amy start off in her second life like a Merlin of sorts, conjuring up new magic with some of the old. Mr. Jones, you're Mr. Magic.:)
  • Love is a losing game likes this
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#143 LaughedAtByTheGods

LaughedAtByTheGods

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

Still loving this.

Posted Image
[FONT="]A tortured soul whom I identify with, her lyrics, passion, voice, soul,
and outlook are sad, haunting, soulful, beautiful, joyful, so many things at once.

[/FONT]

#144 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

dude i love that picture in your signature ^^ wished they would make that a poster . love to have a poster with that smile :)
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#145 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

I wish there was a music video in the works.

Amy, are you happy?
She squints suspiciously at me.
"About what?"
About life.
"I'm happy about this salad."

#146 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

Quincy Jones backtracks?

http://www.guardian....ones-kanye-west

Quincy Jones: I wasn't dissing Kanye West

Celebrated producer says his comments about Kanye were taken out of context – he likes to think of him as his 'little brother'

Nothing but respect … Quincy Jones. Photograph: Roger Kisby/Getty Images

Quincy Jones has backed away from comments he made about Kanye West earlier this week, insisting that he was "not dissing Kanye". Within days of calling West "just a rapper", Jones said that he has "nothing but respect" for Kanye, and looks forward "to watching his evolution as an artist".
"No way," Jones told Us magazine on Tuesday, responding to a comparison of his and West's careers. "Did [Kanye] write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man ... No comparison. None." But Jones has distanced himself from that interview, criticising "people" for taking his words "out of context". "[It's] not dissing Kanye," he wrote on his website. "[It] is simply trying to express that I'm not a rapper."

But even Jones's clarification was mildly backhanded. West, he said, was his "little brother", finding success in "his young career". Never mind that West has released seven solo albums. "Having been in the music business for more than 60 years," Jones said, "it's not unreasonable to put a comparison of Kanye at this time in his career and myself into the proper perspective."

It makes sense that Jones would want West's recent successes to be compared against his 60-year career. After all, there's no debate about who's on top in 2010.

Even with appearances by Amy Winehouse, Akon and Usher, Jones's new tribute album, Q Soul Bossa Nostra, has not charted. Whereas West's slightest sneeze seems to earn a headline. "I don't need to take anyone else's props away from them," Jones said. Perhaps he can't afford to.

#147 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

2 weeks - #129 on the charts. Thud...

#148 Rubi

Rubi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

I re-listened to this and then checked out her cover of "Don't look back in anger." I hear a little Ray Charles influence in there. The way she puts a drawl near the end of her notes reminds me of his style. I like that she admires his work, I feel his influence on music is under appreciated.
Posted Image

#149 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

"Did [Kanye] write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man ... No comparison. None."

Quincy makes a very valid point. Though it of course has its place in popular music and culture, rap is often more hype than substance and its present relevance is as often vastly overrated.

West's slightest sneeze seems to earn a headline.

So what; remember Paris.

"I don't need to take anyone else's props away from them," Jones said. Perhaps he can't afford to.

It's not Quincy who's being arrogant and ignorant here.

#150 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

...yeah, to hell with all the sociopolitical and conscious rappers on this planet and their following. I think I just heard some obviously irrelevant legends turn around in their graves though.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users