#76 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Mitch has been tweeting about it again!

"I like Beyonces cover and have no probs. monies received will help lots of kids. She can do another cover if she wants. We need the money!"

Posted Image

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
sharin our love between the sheets

起死回生

#77 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Stop badgering people for money, for the love of God.
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#78 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

Anything for money, huh? He makes himself look foolish.

The proper way to ask for money:
Joe Germanotta ‏@germanottajoe
The get well cards and gifts have been overwhelming. Before sending any more, please consider making a donation to the BTWF.

#79 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

I don't think I can go that far....haha. Beyonce's alright, she's just egocentric and overexposed.

Of course, it was just an over exaggeration to express my disapproval. Beyonce is kind of an insult, Dido on the other hand would have been a travesty! I just feel that beyonce is beyond fake in her interpretation of music, not an authentic artist like Amy.

Posted Image
Amy J. Winehouse

1983 -

#80 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

i just heard a snippet they released (a little over a minute long) and it's actually not bad, it's an interesting and unexpected spin on the song. i was annoyed at first but it's actually a compliment to be included in this collaboration. i really like what they've done.
Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#81 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Here it is.

Posted Image

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#82 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

I thought this movie was supposed to showcase and compliment the Jazz Age, didn't Baz Luhrman say something to that effect?

...so why in all of the fuck are you going to take a STELLAR modern jazz tune and turn it into that? Because it makes so much sense to take a jazzy song and suck the jazz out of it to showcase jazz. Um...what?

In all honesty, I can dig the weirdness of it. The spin is strange, and I can appreciate a little strangeness. But...I'm not understanding the mind behind this madness.

#83 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

that cover is fucking stupid lol....ain't no other way to put it

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
sharin our love between the sheets

起死回生

#84 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Laughable...sorry for this but the first thing that came to mind: this sounds retarded.
Sorry Amy that your daddy thought this trash was worth the money for HIS foundation. And please, no other covers or I might cry.
I rather hear Wanda Jackson sing you know I'm no good :(

#85 MandyP

MandyP

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Wow. It's worst than I originally thought! Andre 3000 sounds completely ridiculous; Beyonce sounds like Beyonce. I think someone chose the wrong song for these two and what the hell is going on with the beat. It sounds like a child made that beat with their Casio piano! Oi!! Horrible cover.

#86 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Wow. That is fucking terrible. Even worse than I imagined. Andre 3000 sounds utterly awful in every way. Beyonce sounds like she phoned in the performance, as per usual. And how could they have her sing the line "I love blow and you love puff"? That's not even the fucking lyric, nevermind getting around to the fact that Beyonce couldn't possibly have any idea what that lyric is about in a personal sense! Who thought this was a good idea?

And to be honest, I think this is just symptomatic of everything that's wrong with this adaptation of The Great Gatsby - messing with perfection, sucking the soul out of it, style over substance, going full-on glamour, and completely forgetting what the meaning actually is. I know it is going to be catastrophic, I can already sense it. Lurhmann is obviously trying to go for a juxtaposition between the old and the new here, but it's not working. Going for overblown, over-dramatic, 3D nonsense with auto-tuned pop stars singing over it is not what Gatsby is supposed to be about. I don't know if anyone here has seen Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris, but that film is exactly how something like The Great Gatsby should be adapted to the screen - tasteful, subtle, nostalgic. Not this crass nonsense that Lurhmann seems to have in mind. This cover of Back to Black just pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with this endeavor.
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#87 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Haha I think they changed up the lyrics a bit throughout... apparently Beyonce prefers blow, I really hope she doesn't think it means BJ... and while her singing is typical it's completely inappropriate for this song...like what is so sexy about the lyrics she is singing? I about died when I heard the beginning... wouldn't mind if Mitch tweeted about the other part of the song he didn't hear, how could you hear andre 3000's part and think "oh I like that"??... and remember he stopped those people from doing a small-scale tribute play to amy? come on, that couldn't have been as terrible as this.

P.S. why isn't it listed on this sampler?

Edited by allisost, 22 April 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#88 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Haha I think they changed up the lyrics a bit throughout... apparently Beyonce prefers blow, I really hope she doesn't think it means BJ... and while her singing is typical it's completely inappropriate for this song...like what is so sexy about the lyrics she is singing? I about died when I heard the beginning... wouldn't mind if Mitch tweeted about the other part of the song he didn't hear, how could you hear andre 3000's part and think "oh I like that"??... and remember he stopped those people from doing a small-scale tribute play to amy? come on, that couldn't have been as terrible as this.

P.S. why isn't it listed on this sampler?

The tracklist was announced a few days ago and this wasn't on it. It'll probably be on the Deluxe edition or something? And I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch hadn't even heard it...

#89 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, it's a really sad song and then Andre comes on singing like a retard and Beyonce sounds like she's trying to seduce someone. These people haven't a clue.

#90 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Here's a DM article explaining Mitch's decision, I don't even want to quote it here.
Man, I wish someone like Salaam got the rights to Amy's music and everything else really. It's not so much about this cover per se, but these politics of 'as long as the price is right' are just plain revolting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users