71 replies to this topic

#1 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've just read an article in Psyblog on tattoos and it made me think about Amy. What a surprise, right? :) So let me know what are your thoughts on her tattoos and their possible appealing power?

Woman’s Tattoo Doubles The Chance of a Man Approaching

Not long ago I reported on a study which found that guitar cases have considerable power over women when they are asked on a date.
The French psychologist who conducted that study, Nicolas Gueguen, has been up to his old tricks again on the Atlantic Coast of France.
In a new experiment, reported in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior, he had some women lying on a beach, face-down, reading a book (Gueguen, 2013). Sometimes they displayed a 10cm x 5cm temporary tattoo of a butterfly on their lower backs and sometimes not.
Then another research assistant counted how many times a man came up to them and tried to start a conversation.
Without a tattoo they were approached 10% of the time, but with the tattoo this shot up to 24%. Not only that but the tattoo increased the speed with which men approached from 35 minutes up to 24 minutes.
I will pass no judgement on the rights or wrongs of tattoos, the types of men that might have been approaching or anything else, but simply leave this for you to interpret as you will.
Oh wait; one final fact does need mentioning. When men were asked to evaluate the women with or without the tattoo, they judged that the women with tattoos were more likely to say yes to their advances and were probably more promiscuous.
Whether or not either of these assumptions is actually true is a totally different matter. It may well be that men misinterpret tattoos and/or that women don't realise how men perceive them.
OK, now discuss.

Source: http://www.spring.or...yBlog (PsyBlog)
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#2 ILoveAmyWinehouse

ILoveAmyWinehouse

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

I've just read an article in Psyblog on tattoos and it made me think about Amy. What a surprise, right? :) So let me know what are your thoughts on her tattoos and their possible appealing power?

Woman’s Tattoo Doubles The Chance of a Man Approaching

Not long ago I reported on a study which found that guitar cases have considerable power over women when they are asked on a date.
The French psychologist who conducted that study, Nicolas Gueguen, has been up to his old tricks again on the Atlantic Coast of France.
In a new experiment, reported in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior, he had some women lying on a beach, face-down, reading a book (Gueguen, 2013). Sometimes they displayed a 10cm x 5cm temporary tattoo of a butterfly on their lower backs and sometimes not.
Then another research assistant counted how many times a man came up to them and tried to start a conversation.
Without a tattoo they were approached 10% of the time, but with the tattoo this shot up to 24%. Not only that but the tattoo increased the speed with which men approached from 35 minutes up to 24 minutes.

My first thought was "tramp stamp".

Life is like a pipe, & I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside. - Amy Winehouse "back to black"
Amy Jade Winehouse in my heart, mind, and ears FOREVER my lioness.

#3 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

For the sake of science, I can attest to the fact that 8-10 inch dragon tattoos on the lower back do NOT garner the same response, haha.

#4 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

I have a giant piece on my thigh...It is not always a crowd pleaser.

#5 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

I don't have any tattoos - unfortunately I'm too scared of the procedure. But if you have one - while planning the picture were you actually thinking of somebody elses's possible reaction (shock, admiration etc.)? Hm, I'd like to know what was Amys approach? If I remember correctly Amy said once that if you have tattoos, ppl look at and examine them so you can kinda "hide" behind your body painting... Interesting imo.
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#6 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't think Amy did it for shock value...I think she did it because she liked them and wanted to express things that meant something to her, and maybe the style of them was influenced by Blake's. I don't know the psychology behind why people get tattoos and all of that, but I surely will not be getting a lower back tattoo to attract any guys ;)

#7 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I think they're a form of expression in some people's case for sure, and for Amy I believe that was also the case. But how many people just get shit-ugly generic unoriginal tattoos or "tramp stamps"?

Her B2B tattoos, which she got in pretty rapid succession, are, I believe, closely tied to Blake. Whether it was to impress him/look like him/get his attention or whatever...

#8 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

I have a tramp stamp, and I regret nothing :P

I found a really cool design a bunch of years ago, and that was the place it looked best. I was surfing the web and found a website for a Canadian sketch artist that I loved, I'm not even quite sure how I stumbled upon it. I love dragons (and wizards, and knights, and castles, and all that nerdy stuff :P ) , and these dragons I felt I needed upon my body.

I was raised around tattoos, so I always kind of wanted them. I like the form of expression, and I like the thought of decorating my body with art that I love :)

#9 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

^I'm not surprised that you are nerdy ;), but I wouldn't expect a dragon on your back :surprise:

my question has always been why are we judging women for putting something on a part of her body just because that part is considered sexy (with the term tramp stamp)? I believe you have the right to express yourself however you want without assumptions being made about your sexuality. maybe it's not everyone's tastes, but it doesn't necessarily say something negative about the person.

#10 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

I guess that's a recurring question when it comes to how women are perceived, their beauty, their femininity, their sexuality. People assume things about you if you wear heels, a mini skirt, sexy underwear, etc. The tattos are just one other way of judging I guess...

Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with the location of the tattoo, i.e. if lower back, what some equate to a 'tramp stamp' (I shouldn't use that term so loosely), but it bugs me how loads of people now are getting tattoos just picked out of a catalogue, with no particular attachment to the graphic representation, void of meaning, like "oh, I'll go for that butterfly, on the first page". I don't know, I guess that makes me a tattoo snob, who am I to judge...

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I believe you have the right to express yourself however you want without assumptions being made about your sexuality. maybe it's not everyone's tastes, but it doesn't necessarily say something negative about the person.

It is shocking that today still, the reaction when seeing a woman with tattoos is "she must be premiscuous/easy" (and the automatic negative connotation that goes with that) instead of "look at that woman expressing her artistic self for all to see, I'd like to get to know her".
I blame the women who just have a tattoo of a generic butterfly picked out of a catalogue because it's the latest trend! :playful:

#11 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with the location of the tattoo, i.e. if lower back, what some equate to a 'tramp stamp' (I shouldn't use that term so loosely), but it bugs me how loads of people now are getting tattoos just picked out of a catalogue, with no particular attachment to the graphic representation, void of meaning, like "oh, I'll go for that butterfly, on the first page". I don't know, I guess that makes me a tattoo snob, who am I to judge...

Haha I got you... I don't know, maybe now a tramp stamp generally refers to a bad tattoo (but still a negative connotation with women). AND I LIKE BUTTERFLIES, so um be quiet ;-)

Edited by allisost, 13 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#12 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

don't mean to come across as a bitch but i'll bitch, why do u care what people ink on their body? does it really bug u that much, it's permanent unless they wish to go through 5+ laser treatments...but really, i got a lot of shit from my aunt when i got my nose pierced, and that's something u CAN remove...i just don't get why other people's 'accessories' burden others lives so much? it's not on ur skin, u don't have to look at it 24.7, you'll see one potentially ugly picture of it on fb aaaaaaaaand it's gone, if u see it on a day to day basis because they are actually ur friend then u need to focus on them as a person instead of their ink

edit: and im not saying ive never seen a tat and been like...thats fucking ugly, why would he/she get that...of course i have. but i dont care if ppl get a generic butterfly/dreamcatcher/whatever else or something they have drawn personally..makes no difference to me..so if it's artificial, it has to mean something? so every stroke of eyeliner i draw has to be sentimental to me and individual or its generic? i dont get it

Edited by Eva, 13 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
sharin our love between the sheets

起死回生

#13 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

edit: and im not saying ive never seen a tat and been like...thats fucking ugly, why would he/she get that...of course i have. but i dont care if ppl get a generic butterfly/dreamcatcher/whatever else or something they have drawn personally..makes no difference to me..so if it's artificial, it has to mean something? so every stroke of eyeliner i draw has to be sentimental to me and individual or its generic? i dont get it

haha you're hilarious. and you're not a bitch for having an opinion love. and good point.

p.s. I think you should get that eyeliner tattooed on... it looks THAT good ;)

Edited by allisost, 13 June 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#14 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

haha you're hilarious. and you're not a bitch for having an opinion love. and good point.

p.s. I think you should get that eyeliner tattooed on... it looks THAT good ;)

haha thank you hun, and yea I may not be against tattoos....but cosmetic tattoos freak me out a lil......a lot. especially eyeliner ones, they always come out far too harsh

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
sharin our love between the sheets

起死回生

#15 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

haha well if someone wants harsh black lines around their eyes, no judgement from us right? really tho... I don't like anything dangerous coming near my eyes (me with a makeup tool included) especially ink or dye, no thanks. and your aunt needs to find something other to worry about than a hole in your nose...you just added another to the two you already have.

But anyway, Amy's tattoos, not a big fan of em, but because I like her, they grew on me...and made her stand out a bit more I suppose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)