97 replies to this topic

#76 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

yeah she was telling them to get rid of it from the store.
she says she is too young to have a biography, and she wants to write it herself, so people really know what went on.

That's my wish - to see her autobiography.

Edit: I hope she'll remember stuff.
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#77 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

cool cant wait to read this
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#78 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

That's my wish - to see her autobiography.

Edit: I hope she'll remember stuff.

Selective memory, I'm sure. ;-)
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#79 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

Autobiographies often are very selective. We all like to portray ourselves in a certain way. It would be great if Amy wrote one, but then I think her lyrics are as honest as anyone can be.

I can understand why Amy doesn't like these biographies but she is a public figure, people will write about her because there's an interest. I don't see these books as great literature but I don't feel bad about reading them.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#80 KaKe

KaKe

You know that I'm no good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

My mom has her book, i think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80/KaitlynFitch/?action=view¤t=maded.gif

#81 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

I just read the other bio, by Chas Newkey-Burden. Once again, borrowed from the library. It was OK, very tabloid but then Amy is a tabloid figure. There were a couple of interesting interviews with other journalists, but that's about it. On balance I liked Nick Johnstone's book more, although there wasn't much new material in that either, he did focus more on Amy's music and talked with musicians who've worked with her. It depends what you're interested in, but for me, I'd rather hear about the music.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#82 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

Has anyone read this book? How credible is it?

The book is out, at least in the states. I bought myself a copy at the Virgin Music Stores in Downtown Disneyworld. I'm almost done reading it and its a very dood read. They talk aLOT about the recording process of her two albums.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#83 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:53 AM

http://www.playgames...-Winehouse.html

Wonderfully written short bio of Amy. Swept me up.

Excerpt: It's not going to happen every day, but over a lifetime, even a short one of nineteen years, the history of sweet, strong urban sounds might rub into a person's blood, and that person might grow up musically wise before their years. It could be a girl, white or black. She could be funny, tough, smart, idealistic and devoted to musicianship. If she had a voice that was timeless and salaciously textured and capable of melting concrete even on low heat, that would be too good to wish for.
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#84 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

That's a fantastically well-written bio of Amy! Thanks Sue! Wish there were more!

Some of my favorite parts:

On a good day in London you might actually hear the sound of the melting pot. In a cafe there could be jazz. As the cars go by, hip hop beats and basslines. Some old reggae booming from the neighbourhood vinyl shop. Home, and your noisy flat mate's blaring TV on the R'n'B channel. It's not going to happen every day, but over a lifetime, even a short one of nineteen years, the history of sweet, strong urban sounds might rub into a person's blood, and that person might grow up musically wise before their years. It could be a girl, white or black. She could be funny, tough, smart, idealistic and devoted to musicianship. If she had a voice that was timeless and salaciously textured and capable of melting concrete even on low heat, that would be too good to wish for.

Amy Winehouse, daughter of the city and pupil of the wide musical universe of "stuff that has soul" is just such a walking, emoting miracle.

The debut album from Amy has not been force-fed. It has grown naturally out of her teenage passions, innate skills and on-going curiosity. Perhaps that's why it has such a healthy balance of old and new, smoky ballads and beats, summer and autumn. Its an album that fits as well alongside 'The MisEducation Of Lauryn Hill' as it does Dinah's 'After Hours With Miss D'. There are beats that lope and grooves that swing. A Wurlitzer organ swings low on a sorrowful lament. Smiling horn samples pull up in to the sunshine. There are interludes where flute and acoustic guitars take over. Then vinyl static from a sampled beat leads into a lazy groove. The bass lines get jiggy again. And consistently Amy 'knocks the shit' out of the songs, whether sultry, teasing, grieving or soulfully communing.

Three letters; two syllables; one stellar voice and an uncaged future: Amy.

Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#85 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

by Chas Newkey-Burden

My thoughts on the Amy Winehouse comeback http://www.oyvagoy.com/2011/01/06/the-amy-winehouse-comeback/

Edited by Sassy, 06 January 2011 - 11:12 AM.
edit

#86 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

She’s made us wait a long time for her comeback but when all is said and done, true talent is always worth waiting for. Bring it on, Amy.

Now,THIS.

Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

#87 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

^^
at end of above article
http://www.oyvagoy.com/2011/01/06/the-amy-winehouse-comeback/

My two books about Amy Winehouse are available now.

I never knew there were TWO books...2nd one is:

Amy and Blake - Love is the Drug [Paperback]

Chas Newkey-Burden

(Author)

Edited by suestev07, 06 January 2011 - 09:03 PM.

#88 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Would love to read an analysis of Amy & Blake's relationship. I've always been completely anti Blake,like right from the start. Though I've grown to listen to Amy very carefuly each and everytime she talks about him...just to clearly see,if this is possible,the SUCH great connection she created in her head that they had. Or maybe they indeed had it & it simply turned out shit. Idk,my feelings are always mixed when it comes to Amy and Blake. Amy fully loved him,in every way. That's the only thing that is for sure. And hell I want to prove myself wrong,but I don't think there's any way this woman will give her heart again this way to a person. Conclusion: Would like to read the book,although I highly doubt it will "enlighten" me.
Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

#89 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Conclusion: Would like to read the book,although I highly doubt it will "enlighten" me.

Agreed. I doubt there would be much in the book that we don't already know.

#90 fuck-me-pumps

fuck-me-pumps

empty inside.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Has anyone read "Saving Amy" (D.Barak) and want to share some impressions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehouse, biography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users