#16 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

i disagree.
i don't think that they did help kill her.
she knew alot of them by name and sometimes they would get a bit rough with her but most of time she took it in her stride.

we have to remember that she worked for a picture/news agency when she was 18 - so she new 'the game'. so when she got big - she would help the paps out and give them their shots.

also the way she acted like she was in her own little world - i can never make up my mind if that was really her or part of the amy winehouse image.

like this footage- she is doing her hair at the paddington station in london - she seems to be in her own world or does she exactly know what she is doing by doing it all full view of the paps? - i can't make my mind up.

the way she was though - she wasn't like other people. she was unique.

note: sad when she runs after blake:

i hated the paps though at her height of fame as no fans could get near her.

Edited by Miss Mermaid, 28 November 2011 - 06:00 PM.

#17 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm not defending the press, so let me make that clear. I think the press contributed to Amy's sadness, of course, but I also think that she was used to the press pointing fun at her, but I'm NOT saying that she accepted it.

As much as we want to point blame at other people, Amy is dead because of alcohol poisoning, not because she couldn't take being bullied by the press. I think she had problems that were far more important to her than the press. I doubt she grabbed her next drink because of being hounded by a bunch of ruthless douchebags.

Just my opinion.

That I agree with. I just thought you said it couldn't affect her anymore.

You're so right. She had all those problems, but the press did their best to make her feel even worse. If you're insecure it is so hard to hear something bad being said about yourself. Imagine looking at the paper - every single day - and reading how bad you looked.
What I hate the most is that she not only couldn't go anywhere without being followed by paparazzi, but that she couldn't even be herself in her own house. They recorded her singing, playing pool, took photos of her sitting on a window sill,... that's just horrible.
I don't think the press are responsible for her death - but they are responsible for making her life a bit worse.
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#18 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

i disagree.
she knew alot of them by name and sometimes they would get a bit rough with her but most of time she took it in her stride.

I agree she was on first name terms with a lot of the press at one stage and I remember seeing clips of her lambasting them for overstepping the mark and even making them apologise when members of the public got caught up in it all. Sometimes I thought she needed the press as much as they needed her but I think when she was getting her life back on track and she took out the injunction most of the press respected her privacy.
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#19 LucyGoose

LucyGoose

Think love and wear a smile...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

When I saw the vid of AJW passed-out on a public staircase in broad daylight, I knew this was all going to end badly.

Sorry, what video are you referring to?

#20 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

we have to remember that she worked for a picture/news agency when she was 18 - so she new 'the game'. so when she got big - she would help the paps out and give them their shots.

Yes, she knew "the game", she knew how things worked, and I remember her saying in interviews that she didn't care, because what they wrote was based on things she'd said or done, and that she knew she was "easy fodder" (those are her words) because of the "stupid things" (her words again) she said or did...
But at some point it became too much, and, like Jayne wrote, she got a court injunction to keep the paparazzi photographers away (I remember reading an article, from The Guardian I think, about that).
Edit: here is the article :http://www.guardian....parazzi-privacy.

And I can't help remembering this, also from The Guardian (very long but interesting article about the paparazzi in London in general, by Decca Aitkenhead, who got "embedded" with some paparazzi):

The same curiously courteous dance is observed each time Winehouse gets out; she pretends the photographers are not there, and they observe a polite distance of several yards. But, pulling away from the clinic, we almost lose her, because other cars are blocking us in. "Now please," Hammond pleads under his breath, "just go back to Bow." But instead, as we're nearing Oxford Circus, the passenger door opens and Winehouse slips out on to the pavement, swallowed instantly into the pedestrian tide. "Where the fuck's she going?" Hammond panics. Without even thinking, I jump out and follow her on foot.
Winehouse is startlingly tiny - just a child's body in flattened pink ballet pumps, glancing into shop windows. As we head down Regent Street, I call Hammond and whisper our coordinates. We're turning right into Maddox Street, I murmur. Now she's gone into a tanning shop. No, hang on, she's come out again - and now we're on Carnaby Street.
There seem to be camera crews all over Carnaby Street, and I'm afraid one will spot her and ruin the exclusive. Passersby turn, mouthing her name, and the soft ripple of "Amy Winehouse" follows her path like an echo. Occasionally, someone shouts, "Amy, we love you!" and twice she turns and points an enigmatic, one-finger diva salute. She has a deep seriousness that is both intent and vacant; at once oblivious to being watched, and self-conscious.
She darts into a shop. I stop and catch my breath. And then, all of a sudden, a great wave of revulsion crashes over me. I'm stalking Amy Winehouse. What am I doing? This is weird. And what if she sees me? It's so cold that I've worn a furry Russian hat. She saw me earlier in the newsagent's, so she's bound to recognise my stupid big hat. I am mortified, and desperate for Hammond to get here so that I can hide. I could stop and turn around - only by now I really like him and don't want to let him down.
And then it dawns that what I'm experiencing is precisely the same emotional spectrum every pap describes: predatory adrenaline rush, horrified shame, professional dissociation.
She ducks into a plaza and I follow helplessly. Hammond has abandoned his car and is following on foot. She goes into a boutique and I loiter outside, feeling ridiculous. Heads are turning, and I don't want people to notice I'm following her.
At last Hammond arrives, and follows her into the store. When they re-emerge, they seem to exchange a few words; a stranger could take the pair for friends. She disappears into another shop, and Hammond joins me. What did she say? He looks thrown, and slightly embarrassed. "She said, 'Where's my driver? I've lost my driver.'" So now Hammond is on the phone to Deano, who's still following the Mercedes, and Deano's trying to get the driver's attention, so he can put him on the phone to talk to Winehouse, to help her find him. But, of course, the driver is ignoring Deano, because he doesn't realise the paparazzo is trying to help. At a loss, I go into the shop, and when Winehouse turns around her pale, white face is streaked with tears.
And in that second, she becomes a real person. This isn't hide and seek, she should probably be in hospital. I don't know it now, but the following weekend Winehouse will be photographed stumbling semi-naked through the early hours in her underwear, dazed and incoherent, not playing a game but disintegrating before the photographers' eyes.
I want to tell her, I'm just doing my job. "I'm not following you, Amy!" I start to say - I'm from the Guardian, you see, and I'm following the paparazzi, and they're following you, and so now it looks like I'm following you, but actually I'm just doing my job. I open my mouth to say it - but then I stop. This is what all the paps say: I'm just doing my job.

Full article: http://www.guardian....shing.celebrity

So, yes, there are no words strong enough to say how much I HATE that kind of press, yes the paps and tabloids clearly didn't make her life easy... Yes, it must have been a living hell, and it certainly didn't help her sorting her problems out... And they got profit out of it, it's sickening... And about the video of her passed out on a public staircase, well, I'm not a legal expert, but I always thought that "failure to render assistance to a person in danger" wasn't far away...

..., Since we weren't in her head, we'll never know how much the tabloids contributed to her downfall. But, unfortunately, we do know that they were far from being her only issue... and that she had big big ones to deal with...
"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#21 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

The press have a lot to answer for especially now with the Levenson enquiry, but I don't think they are responsible for her death. We currently don't know the full extent of intrusion but Amy had a lot of turmoil in her life and I don't think there's anything gained from trying to lay blame.
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#22 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

I don't care how 'tough' someone is or they don't care what ppl say/think, she was a human bein n afta a while dat shits gguna get to u, not jus tha spiteful, nasty, remarks, n ridicule, speculation n negative angle on evrifin, cnstantly 24/7 bein scrutonized, analysed, outside ur house, whereever u go, whatever she did, yeah, someof them, prob did realize what a decent, but lost girl she was at times n had love for her n loved her music, she made em brews n was always polite, but dat shits guna take its toll, emotionally, mentally to a degree.

They shd have gave her space, respected her privacy, instead of her becomin trapped, isolated at times, drugs at some points were an escape, she wasn't into tha fame/fortune thing, she jus wanted to be 'Amy' n bounce rounf her manor, live normally, had she been allowed to jus be a normal girl, who jus so happened to be a wonderful, gorgeous, amazinly talented girl, certain pressures may have been lifted.

Course she'll have played em at times, Amy bein Amy, yea, she did have issues, n til she met snake she was doin fine, somethin happened when she met him n it all exploded!. Paps need to be restrained from tha 24/7 intrusions they make on ppl. x
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The Only Time I Hold Ur Hand Is To Get The Angle Right

#23 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

>:-)Choked me up, bit bout her face bein streaked wid tears!, poor fuckin bitch!, course it got to her, she couldn't fuckin breathe, its stalkin en mass, its fuckin disgustin!!, it was all a big joke n soap opera to tha press, feedin off her troubles, fuckin vultures, it was her life, n she had 2 live it publicly, n she had no fuckin say!. So wrong what she went thru, so very fuckin wrong!. God Bless you babygirl. xx

'and when Winehouse turns around her pale, white face is streaked with tears.
And in that second, she becomes a real person. This isn't hide and seek, she should probably be in hospital. I don't know it now, but the following weekend Winehouse will be photographed stumbling semi-naked through the early hours in her underwear, dazed and incoherent, not playing a game but disintegrating before the photographers' eyes'.

Edited by Amysanchorcat, 29 November 2011 - 12:45 AM.

#24 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Game or not, it didn't help her at all. It affected her negatively in a huge way. She didn't care about *fame* - she knew it gave her a false sense of self esteem I can't exactly quote her but she knew its fake. Any human being would be devastated to open the paper every day and see the worst pic ever taken of you along a sensational headline ..... I was taken aback when Janis said Amy mentioned recently after the pap ban something.like look! I'm still here!! she just didn't see the "whole picture" unf, but now we are here to fix some things. how any person can stalk such a tiny lady is beyond my comprehension. Money (paper, literally) and power, working together, turns evil. Press don't care about dehumanizing anyone...as long as that checks coming....

Edited by Birdieava, 29 November 2011 - 09:20 AM.

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#25 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

it a two way thing - the more that she was in the newspapers/magazines being papped, the more publicity she got, the more publicity she got, the more she sold records and the more records she sold, the more money that was made.

that carnaby street story on here was i think at the end of 2007 - when the paps were at her house 24/7. they would take 12 hour shifts.

when she moved to barnet - it all calmed down alot -she got papped but nothing like how it was in camden.

some people would say that if she hated it that much she would have stayed in barnet or retreated to a big farmhouse in the countryside, in order to get some privacy. but she seemed to love camden - so what could she do? we all have to made choices.

then she moved back to camden square and she wouldn't get papped from one week or sometimes up to a couple of months to the next.
i didn't realise at the time but this was due to the restraining order she had against one pap agency.

also by last year and this year - her time from that intense media attention had come to an end. it was all about katie price/cheryl cole. they had their couple of years of being chased by the paps.

i remember the belgrade gig this year - it barely got a page mention in the celeb magazines. 3-4 years ago it would have made front page news.

even with katie price and cheryl cole - their time seems to have come to an end from intense pap pressure.

Now the paps are all for lady gaga and the next best thing.

i think these things come in 2 year cycles. A celeb will have pap pressure for a year or two that it someone else they go after.

i think that the paps were sometimes too much for amy - don't get me wrong i hate them- but we have to look at the bigger picture here.

Edited by Miss Mermaid, 29 November 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#26 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Who goes through this on a daily basis and stays normal?

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#27 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

Its horrible, a few days be bad enuff, but 24/7, chasin her, n evrifin wid a negative, nasty, pisstakin angle, things blown outa proportion n shit, not nice, hope paps feel guilty, didn't they learn from Princess Di?... x

#28 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

How could she lead a normal life?, no privacy what so ever unless ur indoors!, they are twats, poor girl. x

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehouse, jarvis cocker, nme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users