124 replies to this topic

#76 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

^I would like your post but I can't because I'm on my phone!
Judy Garland comes to mind too. Her voice along with Amy's can make me cry regardless of the song, partly because of their pain, struggles.
The Foundation does nothing to improve Amy's rep unfortunately. I think it's there more to help Mitch than anything. And he hates B2B so I don't think he's one to really promote her music/talent.
I think it's harder because she's a woman. Men can get away with a lot more. I hate ranting about that but the worst thing is for a woman to look the way she did during her drug addiction and then be as blunt as she was in her lyrics. But I don't know enough about other female artists like her to compare.

#77 Mint

Mint

This me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I can hardly believe there's a grave for Amy Winehouse. She should still be here. :(

I know. I was on twitter and it had the recommendations down the side of who the people that I follow, follow.{grammar} One of them was John Cleese and it said something like "John Cleese. Followed by Amy Winehouse. It hit me again then.

#78 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I didn't know that about Enquierer putting Whitney's casket photo on the cover. I'm sure people were just as disrespectful to Whitney but I didn't notice cause I'm not as big a fan of her's as I am Amy's.

I see now why Mitch and the family have made some efforts to improve the way she's remembered. But I'm like you, doubtful Amy will get the respect she truly deserves.

In college I took a History of Rock and Roll class--it was the best class I took out of all four years of school. We studied a lot of the obvious greats like Elvis and Chuck Berry and Little Richard. All of them had snipits about their personal issues but for the most part we studied their contribution to music. I don't think Elvis is known for his drug problem (even tho he had a major problem which caused his death), and I don't think Chuck Berry is known for sexually harrassing women (even though he was sued by 59 women). Perhaps it will be impossible for Amy's legacy to be strictly about the music because so many of her songs tie into her problems.

One thing that makes me feel better is that I can name so many artists who also have similar legacy's to what Amy might have. Johnny Cash's legacy is dripping with his battles of drug abuse and scandalous affairs--yet he is still very much admired and respected. No one hardly ever mentions Nirvana or Kurt Cobaine without mentioning his drug abuse or depression and, again, his work is still admired by music fans.

I can explain on Amy's part, it's impossible to ignore about her lifestyle because her songs is autobiography nothing fake about it. People hear it and couldn't help it to think for instance hearing rehab I am sure they will google it and see why she sang about Rehab. That is why Amy talent is very honest and pure.

#79 masterac

masterac

Affected . . .

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Judy Garland comes to mind too. Her voice along with Amy's can make me cry regardless of the song, partly because of their pain, struggles.
The Foundation does nothing to improve Amy's rep unfortunately. I think it's there more to help Mitch than anything. And he hates B2B so I don't think he's one to really promote her music/talent.
I think it's harder because she's a woman. Men can get away with a lot more. I hate ranting about that but the worst thing is for a woman to look the way she did during her drug addiction and then be as blunt as she was in her lyrics. But I don't know enough about other female artists like her to compare.

It's too bad about Mitch. I understand the way he feels about B2B, from a father's perspective and everything, but I think it causes him to be in denial a little bit.

I agree with you that there is sexism involved when it comes to Amy and her reputation. I think that female artists are still criticized more or looked at differently than men when they deal with addictions or have personal problems. The public is more comfortable with their female musicians having eating disorders or abusive husbands than being addicted to crack and heroin.
“If you don't throw yourself into something, you'll never know what you could have had.” - Amy Winehouse

#80 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

I havent been round much lately so i am coming in late on this.
Does anyone know if the family are okay with fans going to the stone to pay their respects?
Has Mitch said anything about this?

#81 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

I actually wonder if it's okay to leave pebbles and stones there too, as I am not a member of her family. I'm just a fan who loves her. Would it be okay? As long as I don't know if it's OK, I just feel like I'd feel like I was intruding on their privacy.

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#82 Johanna

Johanna

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I actually wonder if it's okay to leave pebbles and stones there too, as I am not a member of her family. I'm just a fan who loves her. Would it be okay? As long as I don't know if it's OK, I just feel like I'd feel like I was intruding on their privacy.

If it's a publik alowed cemetary you may leave a little pebble on the grave i think . Why NOT ? There is room enough on the borders of the stone i see . When to much pebbles are collected on the grave always someone can sweep them on the ground asside leave them to other visitors who can use one again . ......The grave of Jim Morrison in Paris is also on publik cemetary , but the problem there was the graffity with feltmarker wrote on Jims gravestone and even on other gravestones in the neighberhood . ........That's exactly what we must prevent : NO GRAFFITY on the grave !

#83 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

It's too bad about Mitch. I understand the way he feels about B2B, from a father's perspective and everything, but I think it causes him to be in denial a little bit.

I agree with you that there is sexism involved when it comes to Amy and her reputation. I think that female artists are still criticized more or looked at differently than men when they deal with addictions or have personal problems. The public is more comfortable with their female musicians having eating disorders or abusive husbands than being addicted to crack and heroin.

I think Mitch felt more disturbing than dislike. He mentioned that he was so disturbed when he heard the song Love is a losing game where Amy sang about losing her hand I don't remember what else he felt disturbing about but eventually B2B is obviously a dark album nothing positive about it. Like I said you guys HAS to understand that Mitch is a parent. Imagine if one of you guys have a child and hearing a dark song that your child lived through. Is that hard to understand?

#84 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I tweeted mitch asking him if it okay if fans go to see Amy.
He replied saying 'of course you can.'
I wouldnt want to go see Amy without her Fathers' permission.
So it okay to visit Amy.

#85 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

So it okay to visit Amy.

That sounds so...weird. Because it isn't Amy, it's just a headstone. Ugh! It is so hard to get my head round the fact she's gone (not that it makes any difference to my existence, in the sense that she was absent from my life when she was alive)...SOmetimes it just doesn't make sense...

#86 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

^It's not even a headstone... I don't like that word. Anyway, yeah my life hasn't changed since she left, just my psychological state and my passion for her has increased tenfold. Who knows why. The mental illness of fandom I suppose.

#87 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Cant help but wonder what Judy garland and Amy would sing together if they ever done a duet together . ( Stormy weather would have been interesting)

I think they did a good job with the grave stone . Way to many names on it though . Im glad theres something i can visit to one day to honor her memory . People will visit her grave stone like marilyn monroes site . Another legend gone too soon. God I miss her
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#88 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I tweeted mitch asking him if it okay if fans go to see Amy.
He replied saying 'of course you can.'
I wouldnt want to go see Amy without her Fathers' permission.
So it okay to visit Amy.

Good to know. Thank you for asking him!

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#89 Johanna

Johanna

What Kind Of Fuckery Is This?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

^It's not even a headstone... I don't like that word. Anyway, yeah my life hasn't changed since she left, just my psychological state and my passion for her has increased tenfold. Who knows why. The mental illness of fandom I suppose.

Okay , you right , it's a memorial as i said before . But we have now at least a place to bring honour to Amy , thank Mitch and the family ! :heart:

#90 Mint

Mint

This me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

From the Sun: "The site in Edgeware does not mark the final resting place of Amy as she was cremated shortly after her death."

I still don`t get that comment though.

http://www.dailymail...mother-too.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehoouse, cemetery, grave, london

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users