1324 replies to this topic

#391 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

so, according to this article, Blake comes off as the biggest villain, even as a bigger one  than Mitch? loool. No Blake fan, bbut i don#t think, that I will see it that way (and not everyone who'll see the doc will agree with that), but everyone got his/her own point of view, and so does the author of the article. But maybe, I'll change my mind after watching the movie...who knows...

but what i am really looking forward to is new music, i'm feeling really curious about Moon River and other unreleased tracks aswell. Maybe, we're gonna hear some of the unknown songs listed @ BMI: or the song, she sang at the end of the video of her Virgin Megastore gig. or i am also curius about her singing happy birthday to a friend of hers (like mentioned in the article) and yeah, i wanna know more about her personality and her funny side and i also wanna get to know Juliette and her other friends a lil better, could be interesting.

That might be a cover, but i think it is a original song. That gig was very early in her career so it maybe is pre Frank. And if it is pre Frank i think we'll get it. 

• MandyP and inwinoveritas like this

#392 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

she performed it after Frank came out (if the description in the video is right), so ii don't know, if it is Pre-Frank, so, maybe, we're not gonna hear it, but i am curious about this song, siince i've been wwatching the Clip for the very first time

#393 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Another review ...

Cannes: The Complicated New Amy Winehouse Doc
By Jada Yuan

Walking out of yesterday’s screening of Amy, a documentary about the life and music of Amy Winehouse, someone asked me what I thought and I had to pause to keep from crying before I could speak. Stitched together from a wealth of unseen home videos and some 100 interviews, the film, by acclaimed director Asif Kapadia (2010’s Senna), is an intimate and deeply sad portrait made even sadder by the life, humor, and music that courses through the charming woman at its center.

Most of the audience already knows how Amy ends, with Winehouse’s tragic death due to complications from drug and alcohol abuse in 2011 at the age of 27. Some of us had watched her rise, and her self-destruction, and through her music and her candid interviews thought we knew her enough to have an opinion about her use of hard drugs, and her turbulent relationship with husband Blake Fielder-Civil, and her fallow creative years leading up to her death. The film seems to be saying that Winehouse could have used more compassion, rather than adoration or opinions.

Winehouse’s father, Mitch, a former London cabbie, and the rest of her family have distanced themselves from the film, which was commissioned by Winehouse’s record label, Universal, and for which Mitch and Fielder-Civil both were active participants. Upon seeing it, Mitch told The Guardian, “I told them that they were a disgrace. I said: ‘You should be ashamed of yourselves. You had the opportunity to make a wonderful film and you’ve made this.’” Kapadia has responded: "It wasn't the intention to upset anyone but just to show what was going on in her life. There was a lot of turmoil; there was a lot of stuff going on in her life — that's why things turned out the way they did."

I can see why Mitch would be upset; he does not come off well. The film clearly lays out the good guys and bad guys, with Mitch, Blake, and Amy’s manager-promoter Raye Cosbert portrayed as enablers who worked against her interests, or at least didn’t adequately protect her. Her bodyguards; her childhood friends from London’s working-class Southgate, Juliette Ashby and Lauren Gilbert; and her first manager, Nick Shymansky, who encouraged her to turn her poetry into music when he was 19 and she was 16, come off as acting out of pure love, though even they were powerless to save her.

Was Mitch a bad guy? It’s obviously more complicated than that. Amy loved him, and he’s the one who introduced her to the music of her eventual idols like Tony Bennett. We first hear about her “family issues” in the wake of her joy at moving out of the house when she signed her first record contract to make 2003’s Frank. Her mother, Janis, explains that the young Amy thought Janis was being too soft on her. (All interviews were recorded in a darkened sound studio and play over the home videos; no talking heads.) Mitch, by his own admission, started having an affair with another woman when Amy was 18 months old, but didn’t leave until she was 9; instead, he’d stay away from home, claiming he was working. “My dad was never there at night when we were being shits,” says Amy in a voice-over. Soon after her parents’ divorce, she started acting out, getting tattoos and having sleepovers with boyfriends. By 13 she was on antidepressants. In one of his interviews, Blake, who met Amy at a Camden nightclub and started a torrid relationship with her while he had a girlfriend and she had a boyfriend, says he once asked her why she was so promiscuous and treated sex like a man. He says she told him that her dad made her that way. (She also has said she was never abused.)

Her family’s love for Amy is never in question, but their neglect repeatedly comes to the foreground. Her first manager, Shymansky, details the time in 2005 when she fell over drunk and injured herself, and her friends entered her flat to see blood on the walls from her punching them. “Her parents didn’t want to take it on when she needed help,” he says. He tried to take her to rehab, but Amy said she’d only go if Mitch said she should. Mitch said she didn’t need to go to rehab. (Then she wrote about the whole thing in “Rehab”: “They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said, 'No, no, no.'”) Mitch says now that he refused permission because Amy wasn’t drinking every day — she’d just binge sometimes — and that he thought she was just being a kid. Shymansky sees this as a lost treatment opportunity. “We would have had a chance to get to her before the world wanted a piece of her.”

The Mitch we see in the film has eerie parallels to Lindsay Lohan’s and Britney Spears’s fathers — a man who was unprepared to handle his daughter’s drug addiction and averse reaction to fame, but reveled in the attention, and perhaps money, that came from it. His arguments that he cared for nothing but protecting his daughter are undercut by the fact that, after having been abandoning to her in childhood, he only seems to have become deeply involved in her life after she became famous. There’s also a horrifying scene in Amy in which he comes to visit his markedly more healthy and happy daughter during a post-rehab stint in Saint Lucia, with a camera crew in tow for a U.K. TV documentary called My Daughter Amy. (Amy snaps at at him on camera about it and later slammed him on Twitter.)  

No one gets off easily, though. Amy’s disastrous “comeback” tour, in which she barely made it onstage, and when she did, could hardly sing or stand, seems to have been the work of a manager, Cosbert, who didn’t have her best interests in mind. In a particularly damning sequence, Kapadia plays an interview with Cosbert saying that the tour was Amy’s choice, followed by three people who say she was taken to the airport while she was passed out, unaware of what her team had contractually obliged her to do.

Clips of talk-show hosts jabbering on about her health are spliced with comedians taking jabs at her drug use. (It’s particularly cutting to see Jay Leno, who’d once welcomed her to his show, making a cruel joke about her addiction in later years.) Moments of heartbreaking intimacy during this time period come by way of Blake’s photos of their drug paraphernalia, or Amy’s own startlingly gaunt webcam selfies in 2008. There is even a flash of hope in unseen footage of Amy, having cleaned up by order from her record company, learning she’s won the Grammy for Record of the Year, followed by Juliette’s recollection of Amy pulling her aside to tell her “This is so boring without drugs.”

The film raises the question of whether this vulnerable woman would have been hounded by the paparazzi so much if we, the public, weren't hungry to witness her destruction. It’s here where Kapadia starts to enter murky moral territory, as the film relies more and more on paparazzi footage of Winehouse, in lieu of home videos, which seem to have dried up in the swell of her fame. Asked at a cocktail party before the film’s premiere if the movie had paid for that paparazzi footage, Kapadia said, “I didn’t handle that sort of stuff,” but he considers the footage to be essential and part of the public record. “In the end,” he says, “I felt like I had to tell the story and if you kind of get a bit didactic and say, ‘I’m not gonna use this, I’m not gonna use that,’ then you can’t tell the story. So I was like, ‘I’m gonna talk to everyone, I’m gonna use whatever I can to look at the big picture,’ so we used whatever we needed to tell the story. And a lot of her life, at a certain point, you only knew about what was going on through that kind of representation and it was important to use it because that showed what was going on. Nobody else was filming it.”

Maybe we are all complicit: The public, the media, her management, her family, her friends — whose methods of tough love ultimately didn’t work. But maybe also assigning blame doesn’t matter in the face of this kind of loss — the loss of that voice, that songwriter, that sweet girl with her uncontrollable demons, and, yes, that daughter.

http://www.vulture.c...ehouse-doc.html

• crol, MandyP, dykehaze and 4 others like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#394 aleWinehouse

aleWinehouse

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNatal - Brazil

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

2nvbkn4.jpg
  • Uno and The Other Side like this

...I Go Back To Us... :amy_oops:

#395 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

More details about what inaccuracies have upset Mitch and the familly : 

Mitch Winehouse Says He Feared For His Life After Watching Documentary 'Amy - The Girl Behind The Name'

Mitch Winehouse has revealed he feared his life would be in danger after he watched the first cut of the documentary 'Amy - The Girl Behind The Lens' about his daughter's life.

Mitch, who is dismayed at how his relationship with Amy Winehouse is presented the film, says of the first version he watched, "Had the first film come out I wouldn't have been able to walk down the street as there would have been people who wanted to shoot me and Amy's manager Ray [Cosbert]. It was just preposterous."

Mitch Winehouse feels his relationship with daughter Amy has been misrepresented in the documentary

Mitch tells the Sun reveals he and the rest of the Winehouse family then pushed for director Asif Kapadia to create a "more accurate" portrayal of the tragic star's personal life.

Amy's father has previously complained that the film is "misleading", and now he adds that the specific complaint he has concerns one Christmas Day, when the film indicates she was on her own. He claims she was actually with her fiance, Reg Traviss.

Mitch says: "Amy's security guard said that we left her alone on Christmas Day and then it went to a film of Amy walking through the dark streets of Camden with him to illustrate the point. But that wasn't on Christmas Day, she has got a short-sleeved T-shirt on.

"I know exactly what had happened: Amy was meant to be with her mum so my wife Jane and I went down to my mother-in-law's.

"Amy's fiancé Reg was with her until 1.30pm and then they were both going to go separately to see their mums and then come back together at 8pm.

"Amy being Amy, she didn't go to her mum, so my son Alex went over to her so she wasn't on her own. That's just one example of how biased and slanted we think this film is."

The film promises an intimate look at the life of Amy Winehouse behind the tragic headlines

Mitch is also unhappy that the film doesn't show his attempts to get his daughter to rehab. The film's production team previously told HuffPostUK:

"When we were approached to make the film, we came on board with the full backing of the Winehouse family and we approached the project with total objectivity, as with 'Senna'.

During the production process, we conducted in the region of 100 interviews with people that knew Amy Winehouse; friends, family, former-partners and members of the music industry that worked with her. The story that the film tells is a reflection of our findings from these interviews."

• inwinoveritas likes this

#396 dykehaze

dykehaze

What the fuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

After reading all of the reviews of the Amy film a few things become apparent. This film is obviously an enormous milestone in the professional career and legacy of Amy Winehouse. The creators, who spent years of their lives working on this have obviously taken great pains to represent the most accurate and honest portrayal of the life and death of Amy Winehouse. For Mitch to continuously bash, attack and cast dispersions about the film goes to the very heart of who and what this man is. How sad that he would take this opportunity to desecrate, slander and tarnish what is probably his daughters last hurrah. Very sad indeed. In fact, it is beyond sad, it is despicable. This is Amy's film. It is about Amy, not Mitch or Reg or anyone else. Hopefully at some point he will have the decency to shut the fuck up and let Amy be.

• crol, MandyP, Ace of Hearts and 2 others like this

#397 MandyP

MandyP

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

I wish Mitch would stop trying to be the center of attention. It wasn't cute before Amy died and it still isn't. Oi!

• yuni13leopard likes this

#398 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

this is the first time since her the death the media is talking about her, they're applauding her, they're taking back everything they did to her, they're crying while walking out of the screening, they have realized what we're missing & are shocked, Amy's name is finally on everyone's breath and it's not negative and Mitch has the audacity to bash the movie that put his daughter back on the map? shameful. so shameful how a grown man can't such up his ego and realize he wasn't the father of the year. Mitch shut up and don't tarnish your daughters legacy.
  • MandyP, Ace of Hearts, WhoDat and 2 others like this

#399 MandyP

MandyP

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

this is the first time since her the death the media is talking about her, they're applauding her, they're taking back everything they did to her, they're crying while walking out of the screening, they have realized what we're missing & are shocked, Amy's name is finally on everyone's breath and it's not negative and Mitch has the audacity to bash the movie that put his daughter back on the map? shameful. so shameful how a grown man can't such up his ego and realize he wasn't the father of the year. Mitch shut up and don't tarnish your daughters legacy.

I completely agree. Just as the reviews have stated it wasn't just one person at fault; there were many. I think what we are seeing is Mitch's feelings of guilt. Maybe this is the first time he has had a chance to see Amy's life put before him. I'm sure that was extremely hard. Actually, I can't imagine how hard that was. But, as most of us have stated on this forum, Mitch needs to let Amy and her legacy have this. The media bashed her repeatedly when she was alive, people ridiculed her when she died, and now her and her music (although I'm not sure why people didn't know she was brilliant before) are finally being redeemed. Mitch should be applauding the cheers for his daughter. His support of the film will only help him in the long run. And really, all of us long term fans have known about Mitch's narcissistic ways long before Amy died. This is nothing new...Sheesh!

• dykehaze, HelloSailor, yuni13leopard and 1 other like this

#400 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

I completely agree. Just as the reviews have stated it wasn't just one person at fault; there were many. I think what we are seeing is Mitch's feelings of guilt. Maybe this is the first time he has had a chance to see Amy's life put before him. I'm sure that was extremely hard. Actually, I can't imagine how hard that was. But, as most of us have stated on this forum, Mitch needs to let Amy and her legacy have this. The media bashed her repeatedly when she was alive, people ridiculed her when she died, and now her and her music (although I'm not sure why people didn't know she was brilliant before) are finally being redeemed. Mitch should be applauding the cheers for his daughter. His support of the film will only help him in the long run. And really, all of us long term fans have known about Mitch's narcissistic ways long before Amy died. This is nothing new...Sheesh!

for sure, almost all reviews include "however the movie was not accepted by amys father mitch or the winehouses have excluded their partnership wit the movie etc" WHY. why does Mitch want to assosiate this movie in a bad light i dont get it. I know for a fact Asif Kapadia is a great director, i've seen SENNA before even knowing who he was and i fell in love with him, i'm sure this will do the same with Amy. Mitch is in denial thats the fact.

• MandyP and dykehaze like this

#401 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

Mitch needs to just stop. This sounds like a great tribute to Amy and her life, something which bolsters her legacy and will probably make a lot of people realize just how great she was. While I'm sad that it has taken her death and a posthumous documentary to do that, this is still something that should be celebrated. Instead Mitch wants to make it all about him. It sounds like he just doesn't want to own up to his real role in her life and instead cast himself as the perfect, doting father. While I have no doubt he loved Amy and she loved him, he made mistakes, and it sounds like Amy was let down by quite a few people she trusted and loved throughout her life. Her death isn't any on person's fault, as this documentary does well to point out from what I've read so far, but it sounds like there are a few people in her life who are still totally in denial about how and why Amy ended up the way she did. I mean, Reg and Mitch are still peddling the fantasy that she was happier than ever when she died! Madness. 

• dykehaze, Ace of Hearts, HelloSailor and 1 other like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#402 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

I think we need to be just as tolerant of Mitch's weaknesses as Amy's repeated failures at keeping it together and dealing with her problems.

This guy is obviously carrying a huge amount of guilt, which he is NOT dealing with. It clearly was too early for him to make this documentary. While the film makers felt they could look at her life as a whole (her childhood, upbringing, relationships, the media, fame, music industry, etc.), Mitch (and Reg for that matter) is clearly struggling to see how he fits in this big complicated puzzle. 

It pisses me off, and sometimes I wish I could just shake some sense into him, but remember that he is only human, and therefore imperfect, as was Amy. And most importantly he is grieving. So yeah, he's still making mistakes when it comes to dealing with Amy. If he could only take a step back and place himself above this whole situation, he would see that this documentary is actually a positive thing for Amy's legacy, particularly the fact that it is in mainstream news (ie not just hardcore fans knowing how great she was). But it's obviously still a very touchy subject for him, and when you factor in his personality (enjoying the limelight), it just makes it very messy for the Winehouse family.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.  

• Jayne, crol, MandyP and 3 others like this

#403 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

I think we need to be just as tolerant of Mitch's weaknesses as Amy's repeated failures at keeping it together and dealing with her problems.

This guy is obviously carrying a huge amount of guilt, which he is NOT dealing with. It clearly was too early for him to make this documentary. While the film makers felt they could look at her life as a whole (her childhood, upbringing, relationships, the media, fame, music industry, etc.), Mitch (and Reg for that matter) is clearly struggling to see how he fits in this big complicated puzzle. 

It pisses me off, and sometimes I wish I could just shake some sense into him, but remember that he is only human, and therefore imperfect, as was Amy. And most importantly he is grieving. So yeah, he's still making mistakes when it comes to dealing with Amy. If he could only take a step back and place himself above this whole situation, he would see that this documentary is actually a positive thing for Amy's legacy, particularly the fact that it is in mainstream news (ie not just hardcore fans knowing how great she was). But it's obviously still a very touchy subject for him, and when you factor in his personality (enjoying the limelight), it just makes it very messy for the Winehouse family.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.  

Lovely post.

• Jayne, MandyP, TBR and 1 other like this

#404 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

According to Janis, he's doing fine.

Thanks for letting me know ....sure Amy would want him cared for

#405 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:33 AM

https://twitter.com/...729077545635840

The movie got a standing ovation. They made Amy proud (:
  • HelloSailor likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users