1324 replies to this topic

#691 King Marty

King Marty

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

It's all getting rather silly and sad, with disbelief the dirt is getting thrown from all angles and I have to ask, would Amy want all this? I very much doubt it. Mitch is seething on Twitter, calling Kapadia a disgrace and blaming the film for all the trolls who have invaded his life since its release. And now even Ronson has jumped ship and come down on the side of the film and it's director, ouch! That will hurt.
  • Tara, pearljo, Ace of Hearts and 1 other like this

#692 Deep Regret

Deep Regret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

I really wanted to make my first post on this forum in this topic because I'm so excited about this documentary! Seeing Mitch saying such disparaging things about it on Twitter is a bit depressing, but seeing the overwhelmingly rave reviews of the film more than balances out his noise. The fact that so many people have had their eyes opened to the truth about the immensely talented Amy (and not just what the media tried to make us all believe) is wonderful! 

• pearljo, Uno, DARE TO BE D and 4 others like this

"So he tries to pacify her, but what's inside her never dies."  :amy_winking:

#693 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

Oh dear just looked at Mitch"s Twitter ...... What can I say slagging Juliet off saying that she took money off Amy , well maybe she did but, and maybe Amy gave it to her but she didn't steal it. his response is so immature . I feel sad that Mitch is angry and upset as Amy would not have wanted that, but he is just trying to absolve himself of any responsibility, Janis did, she said something like we did what we did as we didn't know another way. That"s what you want to hear in hindsight things could of been handled differently. If you say it loud enough and many times it does not change the facts.... However much you would like it to.

He is being very mean, there are a lot of Amy"s friends I think who are struggling with her loss he needs to reach out to them in private not for the foundation but because Amy loved them as well
  • Ace of Hearts, inwinoveritas, SarahMermaid and 1 other like this

#694 Poom

Poom

My Own Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

Mitch must be hurting a lot. I just hope he realises soon that these feelings should probably be dealt with in private.

• inwinoveritas, King Marty and HelloSailor like this

#695 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

http://www.theguardi...ords-box-office
  • amywinehousequeen likes this

#696 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

I have read many reviews of this movie..all by the way positive.. It seems to be changing the perception people had of Amy. As fans we all knew their was more to Amy than just the bad years .  But the media and the public had never taken the time to find out . I was going to wait till I saw the movie to comment on it BUT this whole Mitch thing is wrong!  What is more important here is her Legacy .She should be remembered for her talent and her soul..

If her father is so self obsessed that he cant see that  , something is wrong and has probably been wrong for a while..

• TBR, Ace of Hearts, inwinoveritas and 2 others like this

#697 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

make your movie Mitch ..clear your name ..I will probably watch it too.. But leave this one alone.. if you feel its hurting you then take one on the chin for your daughter.....She deserves the respect that she wasn't given in life. Yeah we as real fans know she went to rehab several times in the last years, we know she was dating Reg, etc... But we also know she wasn't the same Amy ..something inside was still wrong..

• Soul Power, Ace of Hearts and HelloSailor like this

#698 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

On a different note, someone mentioned earlier that Asif Kapadia said the DVD will be a director's cut, and may be up to an hour longer. Do we have a source for this? (I'm writing a review at the moment, and would like to mention it...)

Edited by Tara, 07 July 2015 - 03:25 PM.

• King Marty likes this
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#699 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

Asif did a "ask me anything" on reddit.

I'm on my phone so I can't link it but it's amazing!

#700 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

It looks like several recent posts have been removed from this thread - including my own - so if I was too outspoken, I apologise. 

On a different note, someone mentioned earlier that Asif Kapadia said the DVD will be a director's cut, and may be up to an hour longer. Do we have a source for this? (I'm writing a review at the moment, and would like to mention it...)

He said: “We showed the longer version to people involved but it had to be cut down. Three hours of Senna is not for everyone, but we released a longer DVD for people who wanted that. It’s the same with Amy. You want people who are not into sport to watch Senna, you want people who are not into Amy to see the film. A longer version of the film might help to dispel some tension.” It's at the end of this article http://www.news.com....0-1227423456104

Btw do you think you may have posted it in the other thread? I don't think anything was removed.

• inwinoveritas and King Marty like this

#701 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

He said: “We showed the longer version to people involved but it had to be cut down. Three hours of Senna is not for everyone, but we released a longer DVD for people who wanted that. It’s the same with Amy. You want people who are not into sport to watch Senna, you want people who are not into Amy to see the film. A longer version of the film might help to dispel some tension.” It's at the end of this article http://www.news.com....0-1227423456104

Btw do you think you may have posted it in the other thread? I don't think anything was removed.

Oh, you're right - it was in the Juliette thread. I'll edit my last post.

And thanks for the source, by the way!

Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#702 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

I have read many reviews of this movie..all by the way positive.. It seems to be changing the perception people had of Amy. As fans we all knew their was more to Amy than just the bad years . But the media and the public had never taken the time to find out . I was going to wait till I saw the movie to comment on it BUT this whole Mitch thing is wrong! What is more important here is her Legacy .She should be remembered for her talent and her soul..
If her father is so self obsessed that he cant see that , something is wrong and has probably been wrong for a while..

I'm SO happy it's changing the perception many people have of her. And for the better. The ones that know her and have loved her for years, of course we all know. We know about what she was like from the start of the fame, (before it)to the end (well from what we read and all the research we did) . But those that simply heard her name and know her because of her devastating, tragic end-I really hope those people watch this movie. They don't know how genius, how amazing she actually was. It's crazy. I learned a lot more about her with the movie as well. So much footage, I loved it
  • Tara, DARE TO BE D and HelloSailor like this

#703 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

from his Q&A.

Were you a fan of Amy before you decided to do this doc? How did Amy become your next subject?
I know of AMY, I'm a north Londoner, I lived close to Camden for 10 year, so her story was going on down the road. I never saw her live, never met Amy, we the filmmakers all fell in love with Amy while making the film
I wanted to understand why her life had turned out the way it had

What's the most incredible piece of information you found out about Amy Winehouse?
I was amazed by her humour, her intelligence and song writing

Were you upset that her dad didn't support the movie?
I think it's a difficult subject to have to deal with hopefully with time her father will be able to take a step back and will see that Amy comes out of the film great, everyone loves her that was our intention

Did you ever feel you were ethically overstepping by requesting interviews and materials from her friends and family so soon after her death, especially considering how media coverage contributed to her harmful habits?
I was nervous about doing the film so soon after amy's death but once i met people, I could see Amy's death had not been dealt with no one had taken responsibilty for her passing life just went on, it left a lot of people in a lot of pain. so this film and talking to me did in some way provide closure, it gave them a release and it has shown the world the real amy and why her death is such a loss. many people around the world only knew a messed up, out of control Amy, not the great kid we see at the start of the film i hope our film balances out the harmful media version of Amy

Is there anything you wish you could have added to the films but couldn't (due to deadlines, lack of funding, etc)?

I wish we could've put in more of the early days there is more of her singing, more amazing acoustic perfs, more v funny scenes. hopefully on the dvd.....

How do you respond to Amy's dads claim that you have intentionally misrepresented her in your film.

Including conducting an interview with a hotel maid that overheard one argument Amy had and choosing to leave her fiancée at the time of her death out of the film?

???? no idea what that business about the hotel maid is all about I interviewed her boyfriend Reg, he's a nice guy, he was in a longer cut, I interviewed over 100 people, sadly I could not put everyone into film hopefully I'll be able to release more footage with the dvd and you'll see the sequence with Reg, he essentially backs up everything said by others, there was no drama with him.

When did you realize that you needed to make this film and has your connection to Amy grown as a result of it?

as we did our research I realised I had to make this film we owed it to AMY to reveal the real girl absolutely, we all fell in love with her, she feels like a friend of a friend now sadly I never met her

As an American, I have seen the film covered very well in the states. What has the reception been like in the UK? Did you think it would get more backlash or less than it has received?

it's been amazing Amy is back in the news, 5 star reviews, she's on magazine covers, her image is all over the subway in London everyone is talking about Amy. she's our story and the film is very personal to many people I wasnt worried about backlash the film is honest AMY comes out of it great people love her and feel guilty about what happened in front of our eyes

Did you ever feel conflicted using paparazzi footage?

yes I wondered about doing it but i have to use all of the tools at hard to make the hardest point to make those sequences as shocking as poss to make us all see how awful her existence became so I chose to use the material. sadly for a long period of time, Amy didnt exsist in any other way other than the pap footage.

Was there a reason you chose to omit any real storyline concerning Amy's relationship with her mother?

Amy's mother was quite sick during the later part of Amy's life, she wasnt at present in the media or news as her father she is a shyer personality Amy's father is a bolder personality and maybe that made her mother even quieter. Janis gave a very strong interview to us, she's a good woman, she had a tough time

Which aspects of her life did you learn about that weren't relevant for the film but you still found interesting?

hmmm... she had a pet parrot which died

What's your favourite trivia about Amy if you discovered any in your research?

aghh she had a parrot, she wrote a song about it, she forgot to water it. it died

Why did such a talented performer turn to drugs and alcohol? To kill the pain? Self-esteem problems? What was it?

i think self esteem is very high up something potentially to do with feeling left alone at a young age. there seems to be something dark in Amy's make up she said she suffered from depression she didnt have boundaries growing up it seems she was always self medicating with one thing or another. her friends said to me, she would do things to shock, waiitng (hoping) someone with authority would then come in and tell her to stop it.... which didnt always happen

Could you discuss some of the "basic untruths" that the family stated were put in the movie?

I honestly don't know fully it's not her family, it's one person who is unhappy. he feels a couple of words "at the time" were edited from his line about her not needed to go to rehab, the other issue is about the last few years of her life but Amy wasnt creating music then, so I didnt feel there was time to go into that. i dont think he has complained about most of the film

• Soul Power, inwinoveritas, HelloSailor and 2 others like this

#704 Poom

Poom

My Own Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

Parrot? :D I thought it was a canary. Did she have another pet bird we don't know about?

#705 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

October Song is about her bird. Such a great song, weird that small situations can be turned into great art.
  • Ace of Hearts and inwinoveritas like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users