1324 replies to this topic

#826 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Two things that I have been thinking about since seeing the film, in the St Lucia clip with Mitch was Amy"s realisation that her Dad was not doing something in her best interest, that he was " imperfect" I"ve no doubt believe, that she loved him but at that point she didn't like him. A sign I believe that Amy was growing up and maybe didn't"t need him as much.Sometimes people like you in a vulnerable position as it makes them feel better about themselves.

Also the footage of Amy and Andrew eating, sure I"ve seen this before, after they were divorced and Blake turns up at the restaurant with some other bloke , gets money off Amy and leaves she didn't give him a backwards glance. I might be wrong

#827 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:09 AM

Two things that I have been thinking about since seeing the film, in the St Lucia clip with Mitch was Amy"s realisation that her Dad was not doing something in her best interest, that he was " imperfect" I"ve no doubt believe, that she loved him but at that point she didn't like him. A sign I believe that Amy was growing up and maybe didn't"t need him as much.Sometimes people like you in a vulnerable position as it makes them feel better about themselves.

Also the footage of Amy and Andrew eating, sure I"ve seen this before, after they were divorced and Blake turns up at the restaurant with some other bloke , gets money off Amy and leaves she didn't give him a backwards glance. I might be wrong

I must have missed that part.. Blake showed up and took money from her?

#828 Soul Power

Soul Power

More than a fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:10 AM

In Mitch's defense, there's a scene in "My Daughter Amy" that wasn't in the movie, where he tells his camera crew that they're not to film her anymore...and questions his own motives for filming in the first place.  So he wasn't as clueless as the editing in the movie made it appear.

• Tara likes this

#829 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

I must have missed that part.. Blake showed up and took money from her?

No it wasn't in the film but I thought I had seen it online ages ago that was filmed from outside probably from a pap that showed Blake and his hoppo walking down to the road into the restaurant then getting " something" off Amy then leaving I just thought it was the same footage been looking online line but it was ages ago I saw it, as I said I might be wrong and this might be some other footage.
  • SarahMermaid likes this

#830 Alfredo_t

Alfredo_t

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

I finally had a chance to see the movie on Saturday. I knew that this would be a graphic, depressing movie to watch (and it was). However, I did get an unexpected feeling of closure from watching it.

Let me explain--When Amy died, I walked away from this forum, and I almost gave up on reading things about Amy Winehouse altogether. My reason for doing that was that I had become completely frustrated with the tabloid propaganda circus that had followed Amy after she became a celebrity. I felt that it was impossible to sort out the truth of the Amy Winehouse story from fabrications of the tabloids/celebrity Websites and from propaganda created by those wishing to reassure fans that everything was OK (when it wasn't). I think that this film is about as close as I will be able to get to knowing the truth of who Amy was and what really happened to her.

I am still digesting what I saw in the movie, and I think that there are some questions that none of us will ever really know the answers to--because only Amy did. I am also trying to catch up on the lively discussion in this thread.

• suestev07, crol, Birdieava and 4 others like this
Alfredo_t, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Jan 2008.

#831 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

i dont know if you guys are up to date with the hip hop/rap scene but one of the biggest up and coming artists tweeting this..

https://twitter.com/...229974544171009

it really shows you the effects of mitch's outburts.

• King Marty likes this

#832 Alfredo_t

Alfredo_t

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

One really unique aspect of Amy that I enjoyed was how Amy's own lyrics were used to tell her story. I have never watched another biographical film about a musician or songwriter that took this approach.

• Gus×Wino, inwinoveritas, melnyk and 1 other like this
Alfredo_t, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Jan 2008.

#833 Gus×Wino

Gus×Wino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

The most shocking scene was at the Eden Project Cornwall gig. omg I hadn't seen this before 

#834 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

http://www.theguardi...who-hounded-her

#835 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

I think that last Guardian article missed the point : 

"Indeed, how can anyone familiar with the story feel comfortable watching footage of her in such vulnerable condition? It is footage that contributes nothing aesthetically or narratively to the film, working only to accentuate the shock factor."

First of all, many people are not familiar with the story. All everyone knows is that she died of her addictions, but a lot of people have not questioned what our responsibility is in this matter. How irresponsible is it to send a person in that condition to work? By showing that footage, Kapadia is saying that the signs were there, if you add each piece of the puzzle together, you can't possibly deny Amy's issues (the bullemia, the self-doubt, the mental illness...). If you remove the uggly/difficult footage, and provie the viewers with 2 hours of 'wasn't Amy just the funniest/most talented' images, you're telling a very different story, the one about Amy being more than just an addict, and how her addiction and subsequent death were just a mere blip in her story, an accident... (I believe that's the movie Mitch wants to make). And of course that would be a much easier film to watch, because we would not have to ask difficult questions about ourselves and our society. I actually think that kind of film would do less for the AW Foundation, because it puts the blame solely on the addict and makes people feel there's nothing they can do.

I think the uncomfortable viewing serves a purpose that is lost on certain people who conflate it with shock factor.

Why is it acceptable to show images of Winehouse slurring her lyrics on stage high or drunk or both, under the guise of art?

But in my opinion it's not in the guise of art. It's a documentary, not a film, so esthetics has nothing to do with it.

The truth is, I felt no artistic catharsis to justify the images I saw. Instead, I was left feeling uncomfortable, ashamed that I’d been complicit in the tabloid culture that in part pushed Winehouse into exactly the darkness that the film attempted to document.

Again, I think that's the point. There's nothing artistic about it, it's meant to make you think.

Let Mitch and Reg make their 'film' (not documentary) about Amy. It will take a few years anyway, and it will probably be very artistic, full of 'aww, wasn't she amazing?!' moments, and Amy deserves that kind of film too. In 10-20 years, it will be good to have a film about the brilliant artist that was Amy for the new generations. They wont need a reflective introspective documentary like we do today, because they'll have a much better understanding of our era than us, as we're smack in the middle of it, making it hard for us to understand this phenomenon (internet, media, paparazzi, videophones, etc.) from within.

• suestev07, pearljo, Sassy and 6 others like this

#836 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Spot on Hello Sailor
  • inwinoveritas, King Marty and HelloSailor like this

#837 Mieke Verberkt

Mieke Verberkt

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

To all you dear fans of Amy,

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm still waiting to see the movie. It isn't here in the cinemas yet.

Can anyone tell me more about the movie? About if it is all real what they say, there aren't lies?

I'm following Mitch on Twitter and he is telling that he can't understand the movie because they are telling lies or something like that.

Who can tell me more about it?

I also heard that they put Amy's parents in a dark light, that they didn't do anything for their girl.

I can't believe that's the truth at all.

Who will tell me more! Thanks

'I'm not a poor me kind of person at all. I wouldn't want it to be all roses, because life isn't like that.' - Amy Winehouse

#838 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

uh, a Mitch movie would be a mixture between fairytale and fantasy and he would love that stuff and rant against critics, who dislike the film, wjho disagree with him on certain issues and about those, who think, the film is inapprobriate and clashes with reality.

#839 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

Behind-the-scenes interview with Yasin Bey ("Mos Def") on why we should celebrate Amy Winehouse as an amazing artist and once in a generation talent, and as a real human being

• Gus×Wino, King Marty and HelloSailor like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#840 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

• Gus×Wino and King Marty like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users