#1156 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'm scared Adele could win the Brits with that bloody annoying song. Hello it's me😔 Sorry just being honest, she's a great singer no offence but I found it so commercial, therefore unfortunately with a lot of potential to win x
  • HelloSailor and Fierce like this

#1157 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

Course we knew it Terminator, prepare yourself lol x

LOOOL oh my god, I can't believe you remember that! I'm surprised nothing has been said so far. Anyway, let's not let that spoil today's good news. Can't wait til end of Feb x

#1158 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

LOOOL oh my god, I can't believe you remember that! I'm surprised nothing has been said so far. Anyway, let's not let that spoil today's good news. Can't wait til end of Feb x

lol sometimes I remember things with no reason, or what I should remember I don't. Me crazy😝! Can't wait either...I was hoping for Best Director as well 😜x
  • amh91 likes this

#1159 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

As happy as I am for Amy and the respect and recognition she's getting and I expected the doc to get an Oscar nomination, but am I the only one who's thrown off by the Best British Female nomination? Even Amy would be like "what kind of fuckery is this?" Like is the British music scene so bland that a woman who passed away 4 1/2 yrs ago, and whose last album came out nearly 10 yrs ago gets a nomination? I doubt it is so why didn't Grimes get a nomination? Let me clarify I am in no way hating on Amy, of course I wouldn't do that, I'm just confused by this Brit nomination. As far as Kapadia getting an Oscar nomination for best director, documentaries are exempt from receiving that accolade as well as best original screenplay. Documentaries, are however, able to be nominated for best film (in addition to best doc) but no doc has ever been nominated for that category. Kapadia did get a nomination for best director in documentary for the Director's Guild Awards (DGA) which are quite prestigious.
  • Poom likes this

#1160 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

Grimes is Canadian, so that's probably why she wouldn't get a nomination in the Best British Female category.

• Love is a losing game likes this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#1161 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

I'm just confused by this Brit nomination.

She is able to be nominated because the soundtrack to the documentary was released and hit the Top 40 during the required dates for the award category.

• Ava_Grace likes this

#1162 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

She is able to be nominated because the soundtrack to the documentary was released and hit the Top 40 during the required dates for the award category.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my outburst it's just that I was confused by the nom and a bit sad she's getting the love/respect now when she needed that when she was alive. And a bit irritated that news headlines are making this into an Adele vs Amy thing, like "Adele and Amy will battle it out for best British female category" please, enough with the comparisons already.
  • HelloSailor likes this

#1163 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

https://twitter.com/...729408807944192

And that pretty much sums that up. The irony, of course, being that she was nominated for the soundtrack of the film he hates. That's quite perplexing. 

#1164 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

And that pretty much sums that up. The irony, of course, being that she was nominated for the soundtrack of the film he hates. That's quite perplexing.

I can only lol x
  • amh91 likes this

#1165 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Mitch Mitch Mitch....

#1166 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

🎉🙏🏻

Attached Files

#1167 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

As happy as I am for Amy and the respect and recognition she's getting and I expected the doc to get an Oscar nomination, but am I the only one who's thrown off by the Best British Female nomination? Even Amy would be like "what kind of fuckery is this?" Like is the British music scene so bland that a woman who passed away 4 1/2 yrs ago, and whose last album came out nearly 10 yrs ago gets a nomination? I doubt it is so why didn't Grimes get a nomination? Let me clarify I am in no way hating on Amy, of course I wouldn't do that, I'm just confused by this Brit nomination. As far as Kapadia getting an Oscar nomination for best director, documentaries are exempt from receiving that accolade as well as best original screenplay. Documentaries, are however, able to be nominated for best film (in addition to best doc) but no doc has ever been nominated for that category. Kapadia did get a nomination for best director in documentary for the Director's Guild Awards (DGA) which are quite prestigious.

It's true that there are no great contenders really.

Adele has a great voice, but from what I've heard so far, her latest album is not worth an award. People are excited because it's Adele, and she 's back making music, but they shouldn't confuse popularity with talent (unless that's what this vote is about).

I love Florence Welch, but I haven't really kept up with her her recent stuff. Has she come out with good music these last couple of years? Don't get me wrong, she deserves/deserved an award, but I'm not sure that 2016 is the time for it. 

Listened to a couple of songs by Jess Glynne to see who she was. Blaggghhh

Laura Marling seems to have some talent, and some of her songs are interesting, but overall I'm not that impressed.

So yeah, Amy still seems like strong competition, even after all these years. I don't think she'll win it though...

Overall, this selection of female artists is pretty bland. Is this all we've got? I guess you can't have a new Amy every year, those shining starts only come once in a blue moon, and make all the others look kinda dim. 

#1168 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

I don't know if I'd agree. Laura Marling deserves all the nominations she gets; she's such a prolific and intelligent song writer and she's released 5 consecutive great albums. She doesn't make pop music by any means but she's more than worthy of her place and worth giving a proper shot if you enjoy folk. The newest Florence album was okay and if they avoid the obvious option of Adele, she'll get it. Jess Glynne is dire and Adele, like said above, is a great singer but her material is incredibly middle of the road. I'd guess the order of likelihood, knowing how the Brits usually go, is Adele/Flo/Amy/Jess Glynne/Laura Marling. Probably optimistic with Amy but they can sometimes be bizarrely unpredictable (ie. Laura Marling winning it a few years ago).

It's cool the movie got nominated for an Oscar though. I enjoyed What Happened, Miss Simone? too.

• HelloSailor likes this

#1169 Agresio

Agresio

just me and my dignity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:54 AM

tumblr_o0z3orTs0e1rj7g0yo1_250.gif

tumblr_o0z3orTs0e1rj7g0yo2_250.gif

tumblr_o0z3orTs0e1rj7g0yo3_250.gif

tumblr_o0z3orTs0e1rj7g0yo4_250.gif

I just made this edit. I can't wait for february to come! 

• TBR, ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer and Fierce like this

#1170 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

Obviously I think "Amy" deserves most of them... I'd give the Brit to Laura - although I didn't enjoy her latest album as much as all her others. I think if we all lower are expectations then none of us will be disappointed. Has anyone seen the other films in the categories? Hope you're all well xxx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users