• Please log in to reply
1324 replies to this topic

#1171 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

I wasn't too into Florence's latest album. Didn't grab me as much as her previous records, even after multiple listens.

Adele is very mediocre, but she could probably release an album of herself burping the alphabet and people would still buy it. She knows she doesn't have to step outside the box to sell records/tickets, so it's not really surprising that she doesn't.

Jess Glynne is forgettable.

I do find it a little odd that Amy is nominated. There hasn't been a real Amy Winehouse record in years. I know she's very current right now, but you'd think that the Brits would have their ear to the ground and offer a nomination to new and interesting British talent that need the exposure.

Lapsley is a coming British artist that I really like. She's going for that moody, minimalist R n' B sound that is quite popular nowadays, but she's got a good voice and she's a multi-instrumentalist. I think she's one to watch. Jack Garrett is good too. Similar sound to James Blake, and like Laplsey is an emerging artist. I think his first album is due to be released next month.

As for established artists, Young Fathers are one of the best UK groups I've heard in ages. Very interesting hip-hop sound, and won the Mercury Music Prize a couple of years ago. Dean Blunt is another that I like, though I appreciate that he isn't for everyone, and I've introduced him to a few people who just didn't 'get' his sound at all.

There's definitely a wealth of coming and established British talent out there right now. They're just not getting the exposure that the likes of Adele gets.

"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#1172 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

I think Amy would have liked to see unique artists being recognized for good music. I've read in twitter that Amy's legacy continues with all of these nominations (the awards for the film I agree with but this Brit award doesn't really continue her legacy). I think the best way to show her legacy continuing is if the industry promoted unique and real talent, the type that she had. It really is doing a disservice to British female talent and I blame the Brits for it. I do wonder what Amy would have thought about all of this. She probably would have liked the doc since it's honest and her close friends were a part of it, and it's through them that you get emotionally connected to Amy as a person, the Brit nom she'd probably be confused by and would want other artists to be recognized. I think this doc is the only thing that has given Amy the respect she deserves as a human being and an artist and the Brit nom somehow kind of ruins that for me.
As far as Mitch's comments of "I still hate the film" they are simply childish statements. Sorry Mitch, but this film is the only thing that has given Amy the kind of respect she deserves, something that your foundation, book, and interviews haven't done. And you know why, it's because you put yourself in them far too much. I know Amy loved you but I have to be honest. And the comments that you don't look good in the film are nothing compared to how villified Amy was in the media and she's the one that died. Your actions themselves make you not look good, no one in the film or Kapadia is blaming you. Heck, even I don't blame you for what happened to Amy, nor do I blame Blake or the media, etc. Amy was a very sensitive, complex, misunderstood person caught in a complicated situation. I just wish you would stop putting yourself in Amy's limelight.

#1173 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...after-her-death
Brit Awards 2016: Why Amy Winehouse is up for best solo female five years after her death
FROM THE TOPIC MUSIC 1d1 day ago

Amy Winehouse is up for a Brit Award, nearly five years after her death.
Her nomination for best British female puts her up against Adele, which guarantees headlines.
It is a great story. But how did Amy even get nominated? Is there a chance this was manufactured by Brits' organisers to ensure people talk about the awards?
They insist that the selection process is totally transparent and that's not the reason she's made it onto the list.
Amy did have music out in 2015. There was no new material but she is still a genuine contender, according to a statement given to Newsbeat from the Brits.

It says: "Amy's able to be nominated for British female solo artist because her album Amy (Original Soundtrack Album) was released and went into the Top 40 between 21 July 2014 and 10 December 2015 - the eligibility period."
So Amy gets in because of a soundtrack.

But Adele can also count herself lucky.
Her album was released in November, weeks after the usual cut-off point for eligibility.
But this year, organisers shifted that date to December.
That's a sensible move - as it would've been a bit odd to have the Brits without the biggest-selling artist in the world.
But if Amy's music was all old material, who really voted for her?
There was certainly a bit of surprise at the nominations...

People like the idea of a shadowy bunch of music bosses, chomping on huge cigars and coming up with a list of whoever they want.
But it's not like that.
First, the Official Charts Company works out how many albums are eligible for nomination. This year, it's 510.
The whole process is checked by the Electoral Reform Services, which also keeps tabs on the General Election.
That album list is then sent to the Brits Voting Academy.

According to the Brits website, the academy is "made up of over 1,000 music enthusiasts representing every sector of the music industry: record labels, publishers, managers, agents, media, NUS Ents officers and, introduced last year, the nominated artists or award winners from the previous year".
They then vote for their top five in each category.
Once they're all in, a shortlist of nominations is drawn up.
And Amy was on that list.
So it might seem odd but it could be nothing more than people seeing her name on the list, hearing her music and remembering what a brilliant talent she was.
The Brit Awards 2016 take place on 24 February.
  • pattieboyd2, GoddessAmy and HiddenTreasures like this

#1174 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...after-her-death
Brit Awards 2016: Why Amy Winehouse is up for best solo female five years after her death
FROM THE TOPIC MUSIC 1d1 day ago

Amy Winehouse is up for a Brit Award, nearly five years after her death.
Her nomination for best British female puts her up against Adele, which guarantees headlines.
It is a great story. But how did Amy even get nominated? Is there a chance this was manufactured by Brits' organisers to ensure people talk about the awards?
They insist that the selection process is totally transparent and that's not the reason she's made it onto the list.
Amy did have music out in 2015. There was no new material but she is still a genuine contender, according to a statement given to Newsbeat from the Brits.

It says: "Amy's able to be nominated for British female solo artist because her album Amy (Original Soundtrack Album) was released and went into the Top 40 between 21 July 2014 and 10 December 2015 - the eligibility period."
So Amy gets in because of a soundtrack.

But Adele can also count herself lucky.
Her album was released in November, weeks after the usual cut-off point for eligibility.
But this year, organisers shifted that date to December.
That's a sensible move - as it would've been a bit odd to have the Brits without the biggest-selling artist in the world.
But if Amy's music was all old material, who really voted for her?
There was certainly a bit of surprise at the nominations...

People like the idea of a shadowy bunch of music bosses, chomping on huge cigars and coming up with a list of whoever they want.
But it's not like that.
First, the Official Charts Company works out how many albums are eligible for nomination. This year, it's 510.
The whole process is checked by the Electoral Reform Services, which also keeps tabs on the General Election.
That album list is then sent to the Brits Voting Academy.

According to the Brits website, the academy is "made up of over 1,000 music enthusiasts representing every sector of the music industry: record labels, publishers, managers, agents, media, NUS Ents officers and, introduced last year, the nominated artists or award winners from the previous year".
They then vote for their top five in each category.
Once they're all in, a shortlist of nominations is drawn up.
And Amy was on that list.
So it might seem odd but it could be nothing more than people seeing her name on the list, hearing her music and remembering what a brilliant talent she was.
The Brit Awards 2016 take place on 24 February.

So, instead we should be asking why did the organizers shift the date to December? I really dislike this Amy vs Adele thing but honestly, Adele, by releasing her album the same year as the Amy doc, further leads to this comparison.

#1175 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Bless her๐Ÿ˜ http://m.thespec.com...sthumous-winner
Jess Glynne wants Amy Winehouse to win British Female Solo Artist at the BRIT Awards 2016.

The singer, who tragically died in 2011 aged 27, received a posthumous nomination in the category as the nominations were announced on Thursday night (14.01.16).
Jess is also up for the award, but would much rather it be given to Amy than to her.
Speaking at the announcement of the nominations The BRITs Are Coming, Jess said: "I think Amy should win."

Jess frequently works alongside The Amy Winehouse Foundation, an organisation for which she is an ambassador.
Despite Jess' comments, she also revealed she was honoured to have been recognised in not one but three categories - including British Breakthrough Act and British Single.
She continued: "It's very surreal, it's a show that I've watched for as long as I can remember and now I'm nominated. It's amazing!"

Jess has had an incredibly successful year, going from a little known singer to a household name thanks to her singles such as 'Hold My Hand' and 'Don't Be So Hard on Yourself'.
Talking about the past 12 months, Jess said: "It feels so strange to have so many number ones, it feels surreal, like a dream."
  • Fanks likes this

#1176 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

http://m.rte.ie/ten/...oscar-nominees/
Amy director praises Irish Oscar nominees
ENTERTAINMENT โ€ข 18 HOURS AGO

Asif Kapadia, director of Amy and Senna
Amy director Asif Kapadia - an Oscar contender himself - has praised Ireland's unprecedented nine Academy Award nominations, describing it as "a remarkable achievement".

Kapadia, director of the Oscar-nominated documentary about the late singer Amy Winehouse, was over from London to speak at this year's Galway Film Centreโ€™s Annual Film and TV Seminar, held at the Harbour Hotel.
"It went well, lots of really good questions," he said, following his Q&A session on Saturday afternoon. "We were basically discussing the challenges that documentary makers face, particularly when the subject matter isn't there to be interviewed, as was the case with Senna and Amy."

No stranger to awards and plaudits on the back of acclaimed documentaries about Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna and Amy Winehouse, Kapadia readily admits that he was stunned by his recent Oscar nomination.

"It's still quite fresh and I haven't really taken it in yet โ€“ it's great and exciting," he said. "Amy was a very challenging film and it's great to see it getting this kind of recognition. As of now it's still in the mix for an Oscar and that's fantastic.
"I've been to the BAFTA awards and attended the likes of Venice and Cannes film festivals, but there's nothing like an event such as the Oscars. The Americans do this sort of thing very well.
"I expect it's going to be a big, crazy party that goes on all day. It's all a bit odd, but I'm really looking forward to going over to Hollywood at the end of February."

And, of course, he'll be in the company of several Irish movie-makers at the Oscars. Irish films have secured a record nine Oscar nominations, including an unprecedented two films in the Best Picture category.
Room, directed by Lenny Abrahamson, and Brooklyn, directed by John Crowley, are both on the Best Picture short list. Abrahamson has also been nominated for Best Director.
Irish actors Michael Fassbender (for Steve Jobs) and Saoirse Ronan received respective nominations for Best Actor and Best Actress. Recent Golden Globe winner, Brie Larson, was also nominated for her performance in the Irish co-production Room.
"The Irish have done so well to get so many nominations, and it says a lot about the industry in such a small country that you've nine in total," said Kapadia. "It's a remarkable achievement, and I've been fortunate to meet many of the people involved in films such as Room and Brooklyn.
"I've met Lenny Abrahamson, Ed Guiney [producer of Room], Saoirse Ronan, John Crowley, as we've all been at the same events over the last few months. All that hard work has won through and I'm delighted for them."

Kapadia's next release is on the way, but this time around the 43-year-old is stepping back from documentary-making as he's directed a film based on a novel about an Azerbaijani youth who falls in love with a Georgian princess.
"Before making documentaries I was working in drama, and I've gone back to that for my next film. It's going to be screened at Sundance later this month and it's called Ali and Nino.
"It's a love story that's based around the time of World War One."
  • HelloSailor likes this

#1177 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:18 AM

• HelloSailor, GoddessAmy and Ava_Grace like this

#1178 Ava_Grace

Ava_Grace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Amy has won both the London Critics Choice and the Critics Choice (U.S.).
http://www.nonfictio...ctories-for-amy
  • ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer, HelloSailor, amy_addicted and 2 others like this

#1179 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐ŸŽ‰Excellent! Congrats! xxx

#1180 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

watching this again fully since first watching it in summer, its brilliantly made.. i really think this would've been a lock to win the oscar had amy's family supported this but i don't know how big of a chance it has now although since its winning so many other awards i believe its still the favorite. 

#1181 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

"Asif Kapadia, the director behind 2015's Amy Winehouse documentary Amy, has spoken about how his film changed the public perception of the star."

โ€‹incredibly true

http://www.nme.com/n...winehouse/90855.

• amy_addicted and Love is a losing game like this

#1182 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

"As of January 2016, the film has received 33 nominations and has won a total of 19 film awards, " 

that's a 57% winning rate which is unbelievable, average movies are under 15%.

• Love is a losing game likes this

#1183 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰http://www.nonfictio...ctories-for-amy
Two awards shows, two victories for 'Amy'
1/18/2016

Asif Kapadia film wins on both sides of the Atlantic

A screen grab from Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" video. From Universal Records
The honors continue to pile up for Asif Kapadia. The director of Amy saw his film win two awards on Sunday alone.

First came Documentary of the Year recognition from the London Film Critics Circle. A few hours later, in Santa Monica, Calif., Amy was named Best Documentary Feature at the Critics Choice Awards.

A screen grab from Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" video. From Universal Records
The victories serve to strengthen the case for Amy as the frontrunner in the Oscar race for Best Documentary. Amy is now far and away the most honored nonfiction film released in 2015, but it hasn't secured every available award. The International Documentary Association gave its top doc honor to Joshua Oppenheimer's film The Look of Silence, which has also claimed a significant number of critics awards.

Amy, The Look of Silence, Cartel Land, What Happened, Miss Simone? and Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom are the five films in contention for the Oscar. The Academy Awards will be held February 28.

Kapadia appeared on Saturday at an event in Galway, Ireland called "Talking Documentary," where he discussed his film with moderator Pat Collins.

My brother, who attended the talk, said Kapadia described his documentary "as a kind of Bollywood film, with the songs emerging from the drama." My brother also said Kapadia explained that "he did not have a signed release from Amy's first agent, who is key to the film, until a week before it debuted in Cannes."

The director is due at the Sundance Film Festival this week, where he will serve on the jury for the World Cinema Documentary category [he brought his acclaimed documentary Senna to Sundance in 2010].

Kapadia has another important reason to attend the festival. He will unveil his new narrative film, Ali & Nino, a drama set during World War I in Azerbaijan, which will screen out of competition in the Premieres section.

A still image from Asif Kapadia's narrative film "Ali & Nino." Photo courtesy PeaPie Films/via Sundance
"A sweeping, politically charged love story, Ali & Nino captures a place and time rarely seen on screen," Sundance programmers wrote in the festival catalogue. And they hailed Kapadia for his work in both narrative and documentary film.

โ€‹They wrote, "He is a master storyteller in any genre."

#1184 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

Meh... People often presume that before her death she was hated by most people - when in fact it was just right wing Daily Mail readers and the kool kidz who only owned one Nirvana record; although it's nice to see Amy being acknowledged in professional circles - maybe it will trigger the record company into digging into bygone archives or something xxx

#1185 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

I'm just gonna call it from now, it's gonna win the Oscar. I hope to fuck I haven't jinxed it, but it appears as if it's winning practically EVERYTHING, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this comes to pass. Not that I'm complaining in any way, of course! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users