1324 replies to this topic

#1201 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

So I watched the What happened, Miss Simone? documentary last night... wasn't that good. If you already know a bit about Nina Simone, you don't really learn anything new, it just felt like a string of concert snippets and interviews, mostly in chronological order (and a lot of them have been on youtube for years). You don't quite get an understanding of her mental disease, how it came about, how it was dealt with, etc.

I think Amy is a much better woven story, attempting to piece together many accounts with a well-structured result.

I find it very difficult though to judge Amy objectively, because I realise that I fill in the gaps in the movie, with all the interviews and concerts I've seen since I became a fan.

It's very hard for me to imagine what it must be like to see Amy if you only knew a few of her hits. From what I've gathered, it really does make you feel like you're seeing a new side of her, not just the caricature. But hard fans like us, we already knew that about her.... 

• ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer and amy_addicted like this

#1202 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

'Amy' won the Evening Standard British Film Award for Best Documentary. Nick, Juliette and Lauren accepted the award on behalf of Asif Kapadia who couldn't be there in person.

"This is very nerve-racking for us. We'd obviously rather have our best friend here, but we're glad that our best friend is seen how she should have been seen." - Lauren Gilbert

• HelloSailor, amy_addicted, mayday and 4 others like this

#1203 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:59 AM

Here's a photo ....

6omr05.jpg

• crol, HelloSailor, amy_addicted and 2 others like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#1204 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:52 AM

i've been looking at numerous movie sites oscar predictions and they all have AMY at #1.

• amh91 likes this

#1205 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:47 AM

Here's a photo ....

Who's the blonde?

#1206 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

Who's the blonde?

I was wondering who she was too, maybe Nick's wife?

Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#1207 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

I was wondering who she was too, maybe Nick's wife?

Nick's wife is brunette.

479078280-nick-shymansky-attends-the-uk-

• HelloSailor likes this

#1208 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

i've been looking at numerous movie sites oscar predictions and they all have AMY at #1.

I think it just might you know... I mean I haven't seen the other documentaries (apart from the one about Nina Simone), but in terms of docu making, Amy is well made, it's interesting how Amy is her own narrator for much of it, the personal footage, the songs and lyrics, etc. That should be rewarded. 

And how funny will it be when Mitch storms the stage wearing an embarrassing waistcoat with Amy's face on it, claiming that he was badly portrayed in the movie?  :amy_tongue:

59676_1.jpg

• Love is a losing game likes this

#1209 Fierce

Fierce

Play dirty.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

Who's the blonde?

English actress Tuppence Middleton, she presented the best documentary at the ceremony

http://getfirstlook.com/photo/fnilBt

#1210 AmyForever

AmyForever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

It seems this awards season the two big documentaries are Amy and The Look of Silence. I don't want to make any predictions so I don't get disappointed, but I'd love Amy to win.

• Love is a losing game likes this

#1211 amyinourhearts

amyinourhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

do you have the video?

#1212 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

do you have the video?

Unfortunately not.

#1213 amy_addicted

amy_addicted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:01 PM

to be honest i don't want any new amy music. her catalogue is small and perfect right now, it's untouchable in modern music, i don't want anything released that's not 100% up to amy's standards, as amy fans we've only heard the best music and for the record label to go digging around and find some unfinished vocals and mix them up poorly just for a quick paycheck feels wrong. 

I agree with you 100%

• inwinoveritas and Fanks like this

#1214 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

s.jpg

#1215 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

Mick Jagger on 'Amy' Grammy nod:

"Yeah, I thought the Amy one was really good. I imagine that's going to win because everybody loved that so much."
  • inwinoveritas, HelloSailor, pattieboyd2 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users