• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 Yousaymyname

Yousaymyname

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Yeah, look, [MENTION=3199]BeehiveQueen[/MENTION], I agree about the addiction thing, I probably was a bit harsh. I watched her interview with Jeremy Kyle (prior to Blake's) and she had some good points, but she seems a bit on the nose to me if you know what I mean. I personally think it's too soon to write about anything in relation to Amy on her behalf. Understandably writing about Blake is justified, and yes, Amy was her daughter in law. But I'm not sure what the laws are like in the UK, but in Australia libel can be serious. But then again, there are many biographies out there written about bands and that from people on the inside, Led Zeppelin for example, and people have gotten away with writing it (and yes as a huge fan i consumed those Led Zepp expose stories.) But with the media the way it is today, I fell the fine line is being trod more often than not. Perhaps Georgette thinks the book will help Blake, and I guess it's ok for her to want to defend his honour, but the proceeds of the sales should be in question. To me she should at least donate them to a charity of her choice in part. It's like the paparazzi to me. I really don't know if I could bring myself to read it, but who am i kidding, I probably will. Won't pay for it though.
Maybe I shouldn't have called her a mole, but that's just the Aussie slang in me.

#17 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

BeehiveQueen,
I don't have anything against Georgette writing about her struggles with her son and daughter in law, addiction, etc. I read an interview of hers here http://www.mentalhea...very-story.html, and actually thought she had some interesting things to say regarding her son, and accepting his pain and feelings about childhood, even if she didn't see things his way.

“It was never Blake’s intention to hurt me. My advice to anyone in a similar position is not to scream or shout, just listen. Reflect and allow your child to feel their feelings, don’t dismiss their point of view just because you don’t share it. If they are hurt over something in their childhood, let them feel hurt and own up to your responsibilities in that. If you accept it, however hard it is, you can then fight the battle with them, not against them. There will be light at the end of the tunnel.”

What I do have a problem with is the book title and cover, which is clearly attention grabbing and sensationalizing, I would've preferred something more sober. It is clear that Amy Winehouse is forever entwined in the Fielder-Civil family history, whether Mitch or other people like it or not, you can't re-write history. Amy loved Blake, wrote one of the best albums in the world about him and they were both addicts in the public eye.

It's understandable that Geaorgette wants to change the public's opinion of her son, show him in a kinder light etc. Who can blame her? Her son was vilified, and Mitch did exactly the same with his book (which I'm currently re-reading). At one stage, Mitch actually says he went to Amy's PR to discuss how they might get some more positive press for her in 2008. It's all about image control.

What I do oppose is Georgette publishing intimate letters sent by Amy to Blake. I don't feel she has the right to share them with us, they are personal. We get it Georgette! Amy loved your son to bits, so he can't be such a bad guy after all. She was devoted to him and loved him til the end. You don't need to prove her love for him, we have B2B. But discussing the intimate details of their relationship doesn't necessarily serve her story of dealing with addiction, she could've written about that without having to divulge some very personal stuff.
I think she set off wanting to write about the drugs, and ended up writing a book to "set the story straight", show that Amy wasn't a victim of Blake's, that Mitch is a bastard, etc. These people still carry a lot of bitterness and anger about their children's portrayal in the media, and towards each other, which gets in the way of them telling their story. Shame.
  • Love is a losing game likes this

#18 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Georgette is entitled to write a book about whatever she wants.
Truth is she has an addict son and other parents could possibly relate to it.
It just so happens her son was married to Amy and that makes it national interest.
Anything to shed light on addiction and assistance into recovery is something I'm into.

Knowing everybody involved I can tell you NOBODY is perfect.
I think Georgette has done a fine job in recent years setting serious boundaries with Blake.
I am not very optimistic for Blake's future but I pray he finds the help he needs....

I would definitely read this book. If it's about Amy I generally want to know about it.

I can't comment on how Mitch feels about this because I simply haven't asked him. I doubt he wants much to do with her nowadays but has obviously put out an olive branch to Blake....who really needs it.

Thinks some good thoughts on those who were left behind.
Let's not make assumptions and just wish them all well---some of them are only beginning to grieve.

While these are some excellent points made, and I agree with many of them, I just have a gut feeling that this may not have been written with the purest intentions (ie, genuinely helping other families struggling with addiction situations).

Writing a book on addiction is one thing, and I wouldn't even be sour if Amy's involvement in the story was included as well, but publishing those private letters and photos? That's what leaves the bad taste in my mouth; completely unnecessary and somewhat telling, if you ask me.

#19 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Bottom line- like it or not- Georgette Civil could write a book about quantum physics if she wanted to and it would still be none of our business what her intentions are. It's none of our business where the money goes.
It would be nice to see a kind gestures (ahem donation) but let's be real.
As far as things being factual----either it will be or it won't be.
Even if it isn't I doubt Mitch wants to give her any free publicity.

He's a good guy who spends less time thinking about them than we do.

The book title? It just looks bad.

However, we could all write books and get them published. See what I mean?

#20 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

Bottom line- like it or not- Georgette Civil could write a book about quantum physics if she wanted to and it would still be none of our business what her intentions are. It's none of our business where the money goes.
It would be nice to see a kind gestures (ahem donation) but let's be real.
As far as things being factual----either it will be or it won't be.
Even if it isn't I doubt Mitch wants to give her any free publicity.

He's a good guy who spends less time thinking about them than we do.

The book title? It just looks bad.

However, we could all write books and get them published. See what I mean?

IMO, it is somewhat my business where the money goes, or what the intentions are, if my money is part of that cumulative profit amount, which is sort of what I was trying to get at. If I feel that something is done with poor intent, personally, that is not a business or product I would wish to support financially, and it is entirely my business where MY money goes or what it contributes to. Just my opinion on that, though, of course. :)

#21 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

IMO, it is somewhat my business where the money goes, or what the intentions are, if my money is part of that cumulative profit amount, which is sort of what I was trying to get at. If I feel that something is done with poor intent, personally, that is not a business or product I would wish to support financially, and it is entirely my business where MY money goes or what it contributes to. Just my opinion on that, though, of course. :)

i agree with most points, you know? i like reading everyone's comments and opinions, makes me feel like im not the only one feeling so yucky about this book and the marketing around it.
one point i have to side with...however, just to use this example, in quantum physics, intention is CRUCIAL to the behaviour of electrons.
in recent subatomic experiments, electrons are set free, and their behaviour is studied.
on those electrons that are actually being watched by humans, meaning, there is a direct relation (eye / object),
a certain pattern is observed. which is DIFFERENT, from the pattern 'observed' without an actual observer.
the electrons can "feel " if they are being observed. we can "kind of" know the future! or change the past. that simple. look it up .

have you ever felt,,,,, argghhh someone is staring at me!!!! and you look up, and yes, of course, there they are.

so, if i know Georgette's intentions (assuming i do), and i support her (i.e. buying her book) , then i should know the result (profit going to georgette), is directly related to me, supporting her book. therefore, i support her intention.

i am NOT cool with that. since her intentions are never clear.
is this for profit? why are amy's private letters to blake getting released? is the intention to defend blakes name? is the intention to really be helping addicts and their families?????

no body can stop this woman. from doing what she wants.
of course.

but one thing i can and will do, is i will not be paying to read this book!
i would read it, yes, if it came to me. i cant say i wont!.

this is why, if it comes to money, i would support the foundation in amy's name instead.
at least i know for a fact, that they are helping many people. that's it!

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#22 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

Mitch just tweeted:

mitch winehouse ‏@mitchwinehouse ยท 4m
What a surprise! Georgette bringing out book about Amy and Blake. I wonder what charity she is donating proceeds to? Mitch

While Georgette has been writing her book about Amy, we at the Amy Winehouse Foundation have been rather busy. Continued

We continue our work with homeless young people among many other projects. Through the Amy Winehouse resilience project, cont

We will speak to more than 50,000 kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. Do you think any of that will be in Georgettes book? Mitch

Edited by Jayne, 02 March 2014 - 12:46 AM.

Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#23 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:12 AM

I skimmed most of the replies so probably repeating what someone else has already said. I still think she's a leech who needs to stop mining an already ridiculously unfortunate situation to line her own pocket. The cover doesn't exactly scream "sensitive account of two people's struggle with addiction", rather "I'm going to fabricate a sensationalist account of two troubled people's spiral into addiction, based purely on a minimal amount of time spent with Amy and Blake and a few love letters which I've come into possession of through dubious means (and have tried to sell off various times to the highest bidder)". If she really is writing this (and popping up for Jeremy Kyle, media appearances and tabloid stories) for altruistic reasons and we've all severely misjudged her, she really needs to realise that she's undermining her cause by presenting and promoting it in such a trashy way.

I'm sure people will disagree with me but the woman never seems to go away. She needs to go and help her son away from the spotlight she evidently craves - one of the major reasons things went so badly for her family in the first place.

Edited by TBR, 02 March 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#24 amysarmynow

amysarmynow

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

Based on the promos that have been seen, we can expect a typical mix of parasitic grab-for-cash revenge tales AND passive-aggressive revisionism; all made possible under the pen of a rather skilled propagandist and a pretty fair marketing machine hoping for a huge payday atop the grave of AJW.

Accusing AJW of criminal activities, distributing her private letters, and playing blame-shift games have ZERO to do with trying to help parents cope with their addicted kids.

Of course I will read it --- for FREE when it arrives at the public library. No cash for AJW bashers; not then, not now, not ever, never.

aan

#25 Yousaymyname

Yousaymyname

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

To be honest I know that @BeehiveQueen is right to try and defend georgette, only for the benefit of Blake. I am worried the backlash will be too much for him to deal with, it sounds like he's sick, and I hope he doesn't suicide or overdose. It would be an unnecessary tragedy. Who knows if he approves, he could. Even though I think it's wrong, I hope Blake can continue to live. He hasn't sought out the limelight since Amy died, and he was her one true love. Without sounding like a weirdo, we should all pray for him. Xo

#26 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Very well said [MENTION=3013]TBR[/MENTION]

So I was re-reading AMD lately, and came across the part where Mitch says that News of The World (I think, or some other trashy newspaper) contacted him to say Georgette was about to release a story which would include Amy's personal letters (when Amy was still alive). Mitch got in touch with his lawyers and tried to block that, on the grounds that they were Amy's personal intellectual property. Few months down the line, Blake gets in touch with Mitch to strike a deal: he promises to drop any claims for Amy's money in the divorce if Mitch agrees to drop the case against Georgette. That's how Blake got zero divorcement settlement money, to protect his mum.
So based on this precedent, are we meant to believe that Mitch won't try to sue her again for the personal letters? I mean she's talked about some pretty personal stuff since then, Amy's texts to Blake in jail, conversations they had before she died, etc. I dunno, I'm a little confused about the whole thing...

#27 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

If the letters were sent to Blake then surely they are Blake's property? I wonder how he feels about these being made public? We will never really see the full side of the story when there is such animosity between the families. I feel for Reg as well this is going to be difficult for him.
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#28 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Blake and Georgette have very little to do with each other.
Blake is in bad shape.
Reg and Travis are in touch.
I have no idea if Georgette is planning to donate to AWF or not but I doubt there will BE anything to donate if she keeps getting shit on.
I don't have to like or love everybody mentioned above but I don't have to be disrespectful either.

If anybody on here wants to tell me how shitty Georgette and Blake are, please, tell me how well you know them.
I get it that this is an Amy forum and we are all very passionate in our feelings and opinions as far as how she is portrayed.

When is the last time you spoke with them at great lengths and asked them about their day?
Where was Blake when he found out Amy died? Has he had a real chance to grieve and move on?
Can Blake actually step foot in London without being hassled and spit at? No.

I'm sorry none of you are supportive of anything involving Blake--including a book he had no part in writing.
On the flip side--I doubt anybody on here other than a few people know them.
[MENTION=6751]Yousaymyname[/MENTION] You are the only one to pick up on how badly he's doing right now. And you're right. Say a prayer for him.

Where I live we don't blame the dealer, we give healing and love to the addict.
  • GoddessAmy likes this

#29 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

I take offense to you lumping us all in the same bag, Beehive Queen, like you're above us all "I'm sorry none of you are supportive of anything involving Blake". Fuck that, I have nothing against Blake nor have I ever said anything mean about him, my comments were all about the book title and cover, I actually said I thought Georgette had some interesting things to say about addiction and dealing with it.

The problem with you is that you think you have some kind of authority on the matter because you met some of them, and you use this to distance yourself from us, like you're somehow better. If you read my posts carefully, you would see that, instead of painting us all with the same brush.

Sorry if I'm a little brash, but you have offended me with your comments.

• Love is a losing game likes this

#30 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

When we post on here I truly believe we are to be "good ambassadors" of the Amy Winehouse Forum.
I am not keen on slighting anybody or trash talking people on here. Period. I don't care who they are.

Sorry to hear you were offended by my post- it takes thick skin around here---sadly.
I'm offended constantly by things I read that aren't true and people's hurtful opinions--but I still sleep at night.

Am I authority on the matter? Hardly.
And thank God for that.
  • GoddessAmy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users