1324 replies to this topic

#1246 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

All kinds of people could've come off looking bad, depending on how you want to see it. Everyone made mistakes.

Juliette and Lauren could be accused of abandoning Amy when she most needed her friends (and Mitch has said as much), same with Nick and that heart-wrenching phone message Amy left him about always loving him, even if he was ignoring her...

But contrary to Mitch or Ray, they don't come off as complete assholes, because you feel their genuine regret and their humble admission that maybe they didn't always make the right choices, but that they were acting as best they could, in Amy's interest. They must also feel vulnerable about how the film portrays them, it's actually quite painful to watch... but they've not made it about themselves, they know some people will say nasty things about them, but you don't hear them banging on about their negative image in the press. 

If only Mitch could do the same... instead he comes off as narcissistic.

• inwinoveritas, WhoDat, ToKnowHerIsToLoveHer and 2 others like this

#1247 GoddessAmy

GoddessAmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

All kinds of people could've come off looking bad, depending on how you want to see it. Everyone made mistakes.

Juliette and Lauren could be accused of abandoning Amy when she most needed her friends (and Mitch has said as much), same with Nick and that heart-wrenching phone message Amy left him about always loving him, even if he was ignoring her...

But contrary to Mitch or Ray, they don't come off as complete assholes, because you feel their genuine regret and their humble admission that maybe they didn't always make the right choices, but that they were acting as best they could, in Amy's interest. They must also feel vulnerable about how the film portrays them, it's actually quite painful to watch... but they've not made it about themselves, they know some people will say nasty things about them, but you don't hear them banging on about their negative image in the press. 

Agree totally, thank you for saying so truly.

Ultimately, everyone comes off who they truly are…truth works its way in the end….

• inwinoveritas and HelloSailor like this

#1248 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Juliette, Lauren and Nick definitely made mistakes. They gave Amy 'tough love', which I think rarely works and often just leaves the person isolated and more vulnerable to their addiction. I think Amy was too far gone for a tough love approach.

However, they did what they thought was right at the time and they clearly have regrets. In fact, a big thing I took from the documentary was just how raw their feelings of regret still are. It seems obvious that the feeling that more could have and should have been done is very close to the surface for them. Coming to terms with Amy's death, the things that weren't done to prevent it, the mistakes that were made, etc. has obviously been a slow process for them, but unlike Mitch, I don't think they've ever tried to justify every last mistake that they made. They seem to acknowledge that the situation just wasn't handled correctly.

I don't know if Mitch will ever make it to a point where he's able to put his hands up and admit that he made mistakes, but I hope that he can, both for his own peace and for Amy's memory.

• HelloSailor and Love is a losing game like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#1249 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

This must be where that Dr. Drew write-up originated from a few days ago. I really wish that they offered a podcast or at least a written transcript for this, bet some great questions were asked ...

A24 Holds Special Screening of Oscar-Nominated Doc Amy

A24 held a special screening of their Oscar nominated documentary “Amy” Saturday at the London Hotel in Hollywood  for Los Angeles area rehabilitation centers, including The Betty Ford Clinic, The Friendly House, and The Clare Foundation, among others.

Following the screening, the Q&A with Nick Shymansky, Amy Winehouse’s former manager and friend, was moderated by Dr. Drew Pinsky and offered an up close, in-depth look at addiction. With most of the audience consisting of current and former patients of addiction treatment, the informal Q&A served as a forum of discussion about the pitfalls of addiction and the steps toward action to help those afflicted with the chronic, relapsing condition. Shymansky was forthcoming about his personal experiences in trying to help Amy, and the institutional and interpersonal failures that led to Amy’s death.

http://www.awardsdai...inated-doc-amy/

• Sassy and HelloSailor like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#1250 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:01 AM

http://www.deadline....ars-1201707076/

• Sassy and HelloSailor like this

#1251 HiddenTreasures

HiddenTreasures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

Mitch will be appearing on ITV1's This Morning show tomorrow (10:30am - 12:30 pm GMT), all I've heard them mention is that because Amy has been nominated for a BRIT award (which also airs tomorrow night), he's going on there to talk about it. No doubt he will talk about the film on there too. 

#1252 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Mitch will be appearing on ITV1's This Morning show tomorrow (10:30am - 12:30 pm GMT)

I wish the media would stop giving him air time and publicity.

• inwinoveritas, WhoDat, Love is a losing game and 1 other like this

#1253 MitchDefender

MitchDefender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

look, he made some mistakes, but this has been decades ago! and why remove him? maybe, he has to say something  him, he should be given space to defend himself!

people are judging him more on what kinda person he was back then, than on what kinda person he is now! people can change, grow and evolve! so plz, stop this shitstorm against him!

we all are making bad decisions for once in a life time, we should have mercy with him. i also think, that he deeply regrets everything he's done so far and he's surely feeling ashamed of the person, he's been back then!

the problem he has with this film is maybe because it exposes a side of him and a point in his lifetime, he wishes to be forgotten. and now this all is made public. things he's regretting deeply are shown to people all over the globe. and back then, when he made those bad decisions, he didn'T know, that the whole world would witness this!

you have to give him a second change instead of constantly bashing him!

with best regards

#1254 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

look, he made some mistakes, but this has been decades ago! and why remove him? maybe, he has to say something him, he should be given space to defend himself!

people are judging him more on what kinda person he was back then, than on what kinda person he is now! people can change, grow and evolve! so plz, stop this shitstorm against him!

we all are making bad decisions for once in a life time, we should have mercy with him. i also think, that he deeply regrets everything he's done so far and he's surely feeling ashamed of the person, he's been back then!

the problem he has with this film is maybe because it exposes a side of him and a point in his lifetime, he wishes to be forgotten. and now this all is made public. things he's regretting deeply are shown to people all over the globe. and back then, when he made those bad decisions, he didn'T know, that the whole world would witness this!

with best regards

Hello@MitchDefender and nice to meet you. I would recommend you read the forum thoroughly before coming to conclusions. And please do a bit of research on the points raised on who you are defending. 'We' are judging him for how he's been behaving SINCE the movie. If you love Amy it is unavoidable having an opinion on the past and his choices, but the first one we have an opinion on with regards to this matter is Amy herself, then the rest! Best regards👍🏻
  • inwinoveritas and GoddessAmy like this

#1255 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

look, he made some mistakes, but this has been decades ago! and why remove him? maybe, he has to say something  him, he should be given space to defend himself!

with best regards

People are judging him on the way he behaves now, not then. I've tried to defend him in the past but he's behaved incredibly petulantly and at times in a pretty vile way (ie. insinuating Juliette was using the film to promote her album and owed Amy money). 

He needs someone close to him to sit him down and talk to him about how he handles himself. We know he doesn't appreciate the film's narrative but that isn't an excuse to constantly slate Asif Kapadia ad nauseam and threaten to show up to accept awards and cause a scene (thus embarrassing Amy's legacy on a public stage).

He has a right to take issue with how he was portrayed (although I think the filmmakers hit on an uncomfortable truth, hence his reaction) but he needs to realise this film has done so much to show Amy as a really endearing, witty and beautiful human being and has explored the complexity of what she was dealing with rather than treat her as a drug taking caricature. He could use this as a opportunity to capitalise on the film's success with his drug education programs; it's as relevant now as it will ever be. 

• inwinoveritas, WhoDat, HelloSailor and 2 others like this

#1256 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Just thought I'd drop this. This is what Sam posted on the DailyMail. 

sam shaker, London, 1 week ago
I agree with these comments Amy was like my daughter and she looked on me as her second Dad. I am very upset at the mean cold way her Dad treated her and her friends he thought her friends were cashing in on her money which was not at all true. He should have treasured her and lead her in the right direction Asif truly deserves the Grammy for this true film well done an amazing movie produced by an amazing producer. RIP Amy I hope you are in a better place now. Sam Shaker Amy's personal artist.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz411m4X1Dn

• HelloSailor, Love is a losing game, GoddessAmy and 1 other like this

#1257 GoddessAmy

GoddessAmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:05 PM

Asif Kapadia interviewed by Emma Barnett @ 5 live on 21st Feb (it's around 2:19:40)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b07172vx

fascinating how he elegantly bring continuously the point back to his essential point, that the film is about AMY…and everyone reads in it what they want to read…

• Love is a losing game likes this

#1258 amywinehousequeen

amywinehousequeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

I love Asif - he always holds an interviewer up on their shit.

"That's what YOU said - not what I said". sassssy 

• Love is a losing game, GoddessAmy and amh91 like this

#1259 amh91

amh91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

I honestly hope Mitch doesn't use tomorrow's appearance on This Morning as one final opportunity to 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' against Kapadia and the film. I hope he keeps the subject strictly on Amy and her Brit nomination, and the resurgent interest and respect in her, her music, and her story. I hope he behaves with more dignity than he has done on Twitter. And, finally, I hope he proves me wrong because I think he will do exactly what I and many others fear he will do - make a complete fool of himself.

I hope...

Fucking hell, I sound like Morgan Freeman at the end of The Shawshank Redemption. LOL. 

• inwinoveritas, HelloSailor, amywinehousequeen and 2 others like this

#1260 Love is a losing game

Love is a losing game

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

I honestly hope Mitch doesn't use tomorrow's appearance on This Morning as one final opportunity to 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' against Kapadia and the film. I hope he keeps the subject strictly on Amy and her Brit nomination, and the resurgent interest and respect in her, her music, and her story. I hope he behaves with more dignity than he has done on Twitter. And, finally, I hope he proves me wrong because I think he will do exactly what I and many other fear he will do - make a complete fool of himself.

I hope...

Fucking hell, I sound like Morgan Freeman at the end of The Shawshank Redemption. LOL.

LMAO 😂
I stopped hoping. Enough is enough. I rather lol and wait for his movie 😜 x
  • amh91 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users